Tourist Visa - Starting a Biz in Peru?

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
nickv

Tourist Visa - Starting a Biz in Peru?

Postby nickv » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:00 pm

Hi all,

So the events of life have taken some interesting turns, and I have fallen in love with the Trujillo area in Peru. I am from the US and on a tourist visa (I never intended on making Peru a permanent home), but have recently had the idea of starting a cafe/guesthouse here.

My question is, is it possible for me to open, own and run a business as a foreigner on a Tourist Visa? I would assume, no. However, perhaps there are simple(ish) ways to remedy this issue...or even, do people run these types of businesses without registering the businesses (although I would prefer not to do this). What is the best way to get my business legit?

Any insight is welcome. (Some people have stated it is easiest to find a Peruvian biz partner to sign things - but not sure of the details/risks involved, other than the obvious legal lack of control of it). }

Thanks in advance all!
Nick

renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tourist Visa - Starting a Biz in Peru?

Postby renodante » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:39 am

My question is, is it possible for me to open, own and run a business as a foreigner on a Tourist Visa?

no. you need a special visa that enables you to sign contracts, etc. for i believe a 20 grand deposit in a peruvian bank and some paperwork, you can get a business-persons visa, not sure what it's called. dig around the forum about visas, i'm sure it's been covered before. the business visa 20 grand option isn't your only option, there's cheaper routes i think.
leoo24

Postby leoo24 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:40 am

from what i've read it's the investors visa you need to have a 25$k deposit, but a business visa which they issue for 90 days doesn't need that deposit.
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:22 pm

No, on a tourist visa, you can't run a business officially.

But there are ways around it. Do you have a Peruvian gf? Then put it in her name.
I was used to have lavanderia in Lima. We registered it in my gf her name.

It's easy to get a licence. We paid 135 soles for the licence and the defenca civil inspection. And we had to pay 20 soles a month to SUNAT. And for every customer who spends over 5 soles, we had to give a boleta.

But this is Peru. A cat is not a cat and a pipe isn't a pipe.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... tePipe.jpg

Rules depend on where you live. In some areas, the will give you a licencia de funcionamiento without even asking for a visa. The main requirement is that you have RUC. You get that from SUNAT. It's a kind of taxnumber. In Lima, they didn't want to give me one without CE or DNI but the SUNAT in San Martin gave me one.
leoo24

Postby leoo24 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:17 pm

What requirements did they ask for the RUC in San Martin?
nickv

Postby nickv » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:19 am

el conquistador wrote:Rules depend on where you live. In some areas, the will give you a licencia de funcionamiento without even asking for a visa. The main requirement is that you have RUC. You get that from SUNAT. It's a kind of taxnumber. In Lima, they didn't want to give me one without CE or DNI but the SUNAT in San Martin gave me one.

Thanks for the help. I (unfortunately :/ ) dont have a peruvian gf, but would love to just get a RUC if possible with my tourist visa and passport...I could then try to register the biz with that, and if I need more, find a Peruvian friend to register the biz with perhaps? Thoughts?

Thanks!
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:01 pm

Putting your business in a Peruvian friends name, you are effectivly giving them the business and you have no claim to it. They could say that they never knew you and take everything from you. Unless you have a very deep and long term relationship with a Peruvian that you trust 110%, forget it. So many Peruvians here look for the quick buck and won't think twice about ripping you off even if they are your friend. That sounds harsh, but it is also the reality.

Try and do it the proper way. The investor visa is probably best but you do need to put $25k in to an account here in Peru. I believe by doing so, you get a carnet de extranjeria too (after a long wait....), but it does have some limitations and doesn't lead to residency - as far as i understand it. I may be wrong on that point.
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:15 pm

leoo24 wrote:What requirements did they ask for the RUC in San Martin?

Your passport and constancia with your address. The constancia cost 5 soles.
PaulSal
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby PaulSal » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:01 pm

Lloyd007 wrote:Try and do it the proper way. The investor visa is probably best but you do need to put $25k in to an account here in Peru. I believe by doing so, you get a carnet de extranjeria too (after a long wait....), but it does have some limitations and doesn't lead to residency - as far as i understand it. I may be wrong on that point

Isnt there more to this Investor Visa Story? Im reading that you need to be able to provide employment for at least 5 people by 2 years.

What if someone wants to simply open a small store, and run the place himself with his new Peruvian Wife?
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:43 pm

PaulSal wrote:
Lloyd007 wrote:Try and do it the proper way. The investor visa is probably best but you do need to put $25k in to an account here in Peru. I believe by doing so, you get a carnet de extranjeria too (after a long wait....), but it does have some limitations and doesn't lead to residency - as far as i understand it. I may be wrong on that point

Isnt there more to this Investor Visa Story? Im reading that you need to be able to provide employment for at least 5 people by 2 years.

What if someone wants to simply open a small store, and run the place himself with his new Peruvian Wife?

A huge amount of businesses in Peru don't have any licences at all or pay SUNAT. The rules depend where you live. Best is to ask the local municipalidad what the requirements are for the area where you live. If you are outside the citycenters in the provincias then most likely nothing is required.

In my neigbourhood are many small shops and restaurants and none of them has a licence or pays sunat.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:48 pm

PaulSal wrote:

If you are married to a Peruvian, no need for an investors visa. You can get your carnet through marriage and open up a store.
PaulSal
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby PaulSal » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:53 pm

Alpineprince wrote:
PaulSal wrote:

If you are married to a Peruvian, no need for an investors visa. You can get your carnet through marriage and open up a store.

Im not married to anyone in Peru just yet, but that would be a great way to do it!

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register