Returning to U.S.A

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
mateo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Returning to U.S.A

Postby mateo » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:55 pm

Arriving in Lima in mid-November.

Then getting married to Peruvian girlfriend and immediately beginning her US visa process so we can return to US to live. I am expecting it to take anywhere from 6-12 months.

Any advice?
Any knowledge on this?
What to expect?

Thanks.

Pollo mani
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Returning to U.S.A

Postby Pollo mani » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:16 pm

Look at this topic and then maybe think twice.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15785&hilit=marry+peruvian
mateo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mateo » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:24 pm

well....i read the topic....and it didn't really tell me much one way or the other.

some folks get along great....some don't...nothing new there.

i guess my original question deals more with the US visa issue and the bringing my wife back to Chicago aspect of it all.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:13 pm

try googling Visa Journey!
mateo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mateo » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:04 pm

visa journey tells me nothing.

i am looking for stories from people.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:52 am

It will take 10 to 12 months, given all your docs are in order. Many delays are because of documents.
But normally 10 to 12 months. If you had a Peruvian residency it would be 6 to 8 weeks. I got married in Peru
Dec 2004, do not know if things changed.

The downside if you marry outside the US your spouse only gets a conditional green card, unless you were married more than 2 years (when married outside the US). This means that you will have another visa interview 2 year from when you get your spouse conditional green card.
That means another $500 2 years after you paid for the first Visa.
You will need to file a new application 2 to 3 months before the 2 year condition, they do not send a reminder, so if you forget can be more headaches. This will mean more documents to prove your marriage. Should your docs not make a strong case, you will have another visa interview.

Good luck (been there, done that)
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:08 am

Pollo mani wrote:Look at this topic and then maybe think twice.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15785&hilit=marry+peruvian

It works for us ;). Check our post on that thread.
8 years together and we had Tomas 8/30/2011 . We have had a wonderful 8 years andhopingfor many more.
I may have had different critera than most ( wife is a homemaker), so those were the qualities
I seeked. It works because of our commitment to family and her strong traditional family values.
She is studying to be a dietician, 9 year in the future i will retire and stay home.
One of the advantages of real old guy, young wife and new baby. When i retire,i have a 401k, pension, and social security check for myself and my son who will be 9 years old.
If plans work out, i will switch roles and be a stay at home dad with a stead income. The wife's career will cover heathcare though i will have medicare and keep us in the same income bracket.

Steinbeck "best laid plans of mice and men"
emh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby emh » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:21 am

mateo wrote:visa journey tells me nothing.

i am looking for stories from people.

I believe that Alpinejourney was referring to this website:

http://www.visajourney.com/

They have a forum section and you'll find lots of stories in there. From my understanding, the process is a LOT quicker if you bring your girlfriend to the US on a fiancee visa. You then have something like 8 weeks to get married. Afterwards you can apply for her paperwork so she can stay in the US permanently.
inscop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby inscop » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:04 pm

You should explore the K visa (fiancee visa - http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants ... _2994.html) and bring the young lady to the US to marry her. It is the quickest and easiest visa to obtain. If you marry her in Peru, you will probably face certain hurdles even getting her into the United States without going to the US embassy and arranging some sort of entry document prior to leaving.

If you bring her to the US on a tourist visa, and you are married, I can pretty much guarantee that you will have serious problems getting her admitted.

If you are concerned about a church wedding, do the civil ceremony here, get her all legal and THEN fly to Peru for the church wedding.
PaulSal
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby PaulSal » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:10 pm

Mateo,

I tried that once before, but we never followed through with it, after learning about her afinity towards other Extrajeros.

I seriously hope that you have spent some serious time together, like 6 months or 1 year would probably be good. Knowing someone online is far different than real life.

Cheers!
-Paul
AmandaZ

Postby AmandaZ » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:31 pm

Get married in the US, then start the process! She won´t be able to leave the country (US) for a while (until she gets the provisional green card), but at least you will be togather, in the place you want to be.

My husband is Peruvian, I am from the US. We did this about seven years ago and it was quicker and easier than expected. But lots of paperwork.
PaulSal
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby PaulSal » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:54 pm

AmandaZ wrote:Get married in the US, then start the process! She won´t be able to leave the country (US) for a while (until she gets the provisional green card), but at least you will be togather, in the place you want to be.

My husband is Peruvian, I am from the US. We did this about seven years ago and it was quicker and easier than expected. But lots of paperwork.

Thats given the assumption that "where they want to be" is in the US.
Im from the US, and it's really not all that anymore.
el conquistador

Postby el conquistador » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:41 pm

Contact www.casademaryland.org

All their employees speak Spanish. They help immigrants legal or illegal with all kind of issues. Jobs, visas, accomodation, education and all kinds of paperwork.
This is very powerfull organisation and is recognised by the government.
viernes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby viernes » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:02 pm

VisaJourney is a very good website. When my wife and I went through this process, I found 95% of the information I needed here.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register