What would you change about Peru?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Kelly

Re: What would you change about Peru?

Postby Kelly » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:03 pm

If we could take the political discourse over to New and Views, that would be awesome. This thread is about what you'd change about Peru - let's try to keep it there. :)

Jeffster25

Postby Jeffster25 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:43 am

This is pretty simple for me besides the obvious noise pollution.

Jalepenos and habenero peppers at the markets. Aji is just not hot enough for me. (finally found jalepenos at wong and Dr. Pepper! 3 soles a can!)
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:49 pm

Easy: get rid of all the choros (thieves). This is what bothers me the most about this country: witnessing or hearing about a crime on average once a month.... A couple of days ago one of our neighbours got mugged at gunpoint right in front our apartment building. The police is completely useless and when you call them they are not even interested...
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:58 pm

americorps wrote:Regardless of US Imperialism, are you trying to say that Pinochet was not that bad?

He's not so bad, if you agree with him :mrgreen:
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:00 pm

KenBE wrote:Easy: get rid of all the choros (thieves). This is what bothers me the most about this country: witnessing or hearing about a crime on average once a month.... A couple of days ago one of our neighbours got mugged at gunpoint right in front our apartment building. The police is completely useless and when you call them they are not even interested...

Well, with that military dictatorship...
goingnowherefast

Postby goingnowherefast » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:11 pm

If I could change anything about Peru, I would change the 18th century mentality of ignorance that most Peruvians have. I would make them realize that without order and organization, their aspirations are not possible and they will continue day to day style living.

I think the old fashioned mentality that many Peruvians, mainly the indigenous have, is counter productive to human advancement regardless of their "culture". I would want to take the Peruvians out of their caveman ways and introduce them to modern life. Teach them there is no need to manually water plants 3 times a day when machines can do that and their abilities have much better uses elsewhere in society.

Many Peruvians and South Americans in general have a very short sighted mentality, that rip and run get what you can f everyone else. I would change that.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:05 pm

goingnowherefast wrote:If I could change anything about Peru, I would change the 18th century mentality of ignorance that most Peruvians have. I would make them realize that without order and organization, their aspirations are not possible and they will continue day to day style living.

I think the old fashioned mentality that many Peruvians, mainly the indigenous have, is counter productive to human advancement regardless of their "culture". I would want to take the Peruvians out of their caveman ways and introduce them to modern life. Teach them there is no need to manually water plants 3 times a day when machines can do that and their abilities have much better uses elsewhere in society.

Many Peruvians and South Americans in general have a very short sighted mentality, that rip and run get what you can f everyone else. I would change that.

a few years ago an ex girlfriend from here relayed to me a conversation she had with a mutual male friend. she was saying how it was a strange experience dating a gringo because we are more "cold" and more organized and think in more practical, rational ways, while she felt peruvians were more passionate and impulsive and focused on emotional things. she talked about how i always complained about how businesses were run and how silly and wasteful so many procedures were, etc. our mutual guy friend told her "that's why they're first world."
UKSarah

Postby UKSarah » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:04 pm

The toilets and sewage system.
How is it that developed countries succeed in installing systems that can cope with toilet paper yet they can't seem to manage it here? Surely all it needs is pipes with decent sized diameters? Some public toilets are absolutely disgusting too. Regular cleaning wouldn't go amiss.
It's also something of miracle that more people don't go down with food poisoning given the number of restaurants etc that have no hot water or soap for people to wash their hands with and towels, of any description, are the height of luxury!!
In addition to that I would like to see gutters and down pipes installed on all buildings. I dare say that's not an issue for those in Lima but here in Cusco when it rains it comes down very heavily and all that water could be put to good use!
I agree with others about the rubbish and pollution. The only thieves I've come across are those who choose to rip off gringos, or try to. Example a shoe shiner who tried to charge 25 soles!!
Mostly I love Peru, though.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:23 pm

renodante wrote:think in more practical, rational ways,

I find myself saying this all the time to my wife, who agrees, that logic is not a major concept here, actually, I am not sure it is even considered :lol:

UKSarah wrote:Surely all it needs is pipes with decent sized diameters

I maybe wrong about this, but I don't believe it is entirely to do with plumbing; I believe it has to do more with the toilet paper itself. As a test, those in the US, drop a piece of toilet paper (clean please) into the toilet and go back 20 minutes later and tell me what it looks like....it will be almost completely dissolved, here in Peru it will still be a solid piece of paper. In my opinion "toilet paper technology" has just not been achieved here :wink:
Last edited by MarcoPE on Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pollo mani
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Pollo mani » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:52 pm

It is a thought I have about not flushing the paper is they don't wish for it to be washing back up onto the beaches,As mentioned above the paper does not seem to desolve here.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:49 pm

i'm going to toilet paper hell when i die, because i ALWAYS flush it down, everywhere i go. i live in a new building so maybe the plumbing can handle it, b/c 1 year of flushing toilet paper down with reckless abandon and no problems yet.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:42 am

renodante wrote:i'm going to toilet paper hell when i die, because i ALWAYS flush it down, everywhere i go.

As do I.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:37 am

All of the Technology in Peru, was purchased abroad. So it is obvious why we could
not afford the American toilet paper (it is quite expensive). There is no encouragement
for development of technology and no fair compensation for the inventor without that
there can be no progress. In countries like Argentina, Chile, Brazil and even Colombia
they have a patent system that takes care of its people having as a result many
people that live well off with a net worth of half a million or more.

In Peru the current abnormal policies in place. Do not allow to establish a policy
that creates more money for a smart person. According to the current government
is priority is the people. Which means the survival of the least fit person.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register