Page 1 of 1

Encashment in Lima?

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:32 pm
by kuranaga
Hi,

I'm looking for a good way to recover money from a person living in Lima, it is not a peruvian but lives there. Any idea how to do that? I would also go for some south-american type of collecting things, if you know a good address to go for that... let me know please, if you have a good idea.

thanks in advance.

Re: Encashment in Lima?

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:34 pm
by chi chi
It will be tough. It normal not to repay money borrowed in Peru.

Re: Encashment in Lima?

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:38 pm
by sbaustin
I've never heard of collection agencies here though they may exist. On a lighter note, I'm sure most people are thinking the mafia might be your best bet (joking).

Re: Encashment in Lima?

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:45 am
by Alpineprince
Unless he has "bank accounts" or a legal job where you can garnish their wages, you probably have no recourse here.

Re: Encashment in Lima?

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:11 pm
by falconagain
Or if you are a woman and the person that owes is male.
You might be able to recover the money if you taking him
to Peruvian court, nowadays they have given more rights
to women than men in Peru so all the judicial cases are
won by women even if there is no proof.

Re: Encashment in Lima?

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:20 pm
by chi chi
Alpineprince wrote:Unless he has "bank accounts" or a legal job where you can garnish their wages, you probably have no recourse here.


The person who owes him money isn't peruvian so probably on a tourist visa. So, he won't have a bank account here and if he works, he will be working illegally.
It's a tough case.

Recovery agencies are expensive. So, if it's for little money then it won't be worth it.

Re: Encashment in Lima?

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:21 pm
by renodante
aside from strong arming the person you have no chance of getting that money back.

Re: Encashment in Lima?

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:15 am
by kuranaga
Well,

it is a she, she is Brazilian and living there illegally, and moreover, she is sought by an arrest order from Spain and has penal register in Spain... just to explain the situation.

So I doubt she can win anything in a peruvian court - but maybe I'm wrong...?

Re: Encashment in Lima?

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:22 am
by jude
falconagain wrote:Or if you are a woman and the person that owes is male.
You might be able to recover the money if you taking him
to Peruvian court, nowadays they have given more rights
to women than men in Peru so all the judicial cases are
won by women even if there is no proof.


It's true! Peru is a feminist paradise. Men live in fear of annoying us because they know if they do the legal consequences will be severe. I heard of a case just last week of a man who forgot his wedding anniversary, the poor fool is doing five years hard labor for that oversight.

Re: Encashment in Lima?

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:05 am
by susita83
jude wrote:It's true! Peru is a feminist paradise. Men live in fear of annoying us because they know if they do the legal consequences will be severe. I heard of a case just last week of a man who forgot his wedding anniversary, the poor fool is doing five years hard labor for that oversight.


:lol:

Re: Encashment in Lima?

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:45 am
by chi chi
kuranaga wrote:Well,

it is a she, she is Brazilian and living there illegally, and moreover, she is sought by an arrest order from Spain and has penal register in Spain... just to explain the situation.

So I doubt she can win anything in a peruvian court - but maybe I'm wrong...?


Be carefull. It sounds like she's a dangerous person. If you hassle her, she might send her friends after you.

Re: Encashment in Lima?

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:49 pm
by tomasb
This woman reminds me of the recent Vargas novel -- Mal Chica....

Re: Encashment in Lima?

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:28 pm
by renodante
kuranaga wrote:Well,

it is a she, she is Brazilian and living there illegally, and moreover, she is sought by an arrest order from Spain and has penal register in Spain... just to explain the situation.

So I doubt she can win anything in a peruvian court - but maybe I'm wrong...?


i hate to be negative but the law doesn't really work here.

Re: Encashment in Lima?

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:57 am
by kuranaga
Well, works or not, the question is, does the law work better for me than for her?

Re: Encashment in Lima?

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:51 am
by Pollo mani
Works better for whom ever pays them better!

Re: Encashment in Lima?

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:13 pm
by sbaustin
kuranaga wrote:Well, works or not, the question is, does the law work better for me than for her?


You will probably have to find out what Peruvian law they are breaking with regards to your situation.

Re: Encashment in Lima?

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:44 pm
by chi chi
Kuranga, was the debt incurred in Peru or abroad?

And how much is the debt for and what kind of debt is it? Rent, loan...?

There are agencies that do international debt recovery in the US and Europe.

Does she have any assests that can be taken by a debt recovery agency to recover the debt?

You said that she lived in Spain. If the debt is incurred in Spain then it's better to contact a debt recovery agency in Spain. If she has any assets or bank account in Spain then things can be taken to recover the debt.

Still, don't give up. It's your money and nobody has the right to steal from you.

Re: Encashment in Lima?

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:04 am
by kuranaga
Well,

she has a bar in Lima, so she has some turnover there, maybe she has no bank account, but for sure some income. And she has a house in Brazil, however it does not matter as long as she is in Peru.

I would prefer a way without justice if you understand... because as you say yourself, this is not going to work well (besides giving her annoyances of course).

She is in the SIS database in Europe and has issues with brazilian police too, because I went to police there and then she escaped to Peru. So she cannot go anywhere (only illegally / green border of course or on false passport).

Funny thing, no?

Re: Encashment in Lima?

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:44 am
by fanning
I would prefer a way without justice if you understand... because as you say yourself, this is not going to work well (besides giving her annoyances of course).

Weird advice you are after !?
So on a public expatforum you are asking about ways to get money from somebody NOT using the judicial system. So what are you looking for ? A hitman, a couple of hard guys ? How ridiculous.
If you don't want to play by the rules of Peru ( the Peruvian judicial system ) then at least don't ask questions, like 'if you understand' ..

Re: Encashment in Lima?

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:50 pm
by chi chi
fanning wrote:
I would prefer a way without justice if you understand... because as you say yourself, this is not going to work well (besides giving her annoyances of course).

Weird advice you are after !?
So on a public expatforum you are asking about ways to get money from somebody NOT using the judicial system. So what are you looking for ? A hitman, a couple of hard guys ? How ridiculous.
If you don't want to play by the rules of Peru ( the Peruvian judicial system ) then at least don't ask questions, like 'if you understand' ..


The police doesn't get involved in debt recovery. Also, being in debt isn't a crime.
Debt recovery agencies can recover a debt legally.

But it sounds that the debt wasn't incurred in Peru. So I think that the Peruvian judicial system can do nothing about it either.

Re: Encashment in Lima?

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:07 pm
by chi chi
kuranaga wrote:Well,

she has a bar in Lima, so she has some turnover there, maybe she has no bank account, but for sure some income.



How can she have a bar if she's illegally????

Re: Encashment in Lima?

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:07 am
by rubble
Sounds like a job for Euroman...if you understand....

Re: Encashment in Lima?

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:21 am
by kuranaga
If you live there in Peru, you know that the only way to get money back is to use some rude methods... sorry to say that but I'm afraid it is the only way.

Re: Encashment in Lima?

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:53 am
by Kelly
It's also illegal, therefore not appropriate for discussion on this forum.

Re: Encashment in Lima?

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:11 pm
by chi chi
Rule number one when you move to Peru (and most other countries) : don't lend money to friends.
You will lose your money and your friend.

Re: Encashment in Lima?

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:19 pm
by susita83
chi chi wrote:Rule number one when you move to Peru (and most other countries) : don't lend money to friends.
You will lose your money and your friend.


I think you're over-generalizing. I think you have to be smart and careful about who you loan your money to and why anywhere you go. But I don't think telling the poster to basically not trust loaning any Peruvian money is helpful.

Just my opinion. (Married to a Peruvian)