Page 1 of 1

Flight Cancellations at Jorge Chavez

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:16 pm
by edgeclinger
Anyone heard anything about the delays and cancellations of flights at the airport? Apparently as of a day or two ago there were still major problems related to the fact that the radar system had been shut down for "upgrading." I'm wondering if incoming flights this weekend will be affected.
Would appreciate any information anyone knows of

Re: Flight Cancellations at Jorge Chavez

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:27 pm
by chi chi
I looked at the website of Lima airport and can only see that the flight to Bogota is delayed but don't know if that has to do anything with the radar system.

http://www.lap.com.pe/lap_portal/vuelos ... I&accion=S

Re: Flight Cancellations at Jorge Chavez

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:28 pm
by alexPeru
I picked up my aunt from the airport last night. She came in on Delta. Her flight was on time, but there were another 20 flights arriving - it took her about 1.5 hours to clear immigration, pick up her suitcases and clear customs.

Re: Flight Cancellations at Jorge Chavez

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:45 pm
by chi chi
alexPeru wrote:I picked up my aunt from the airport last night. She came in on Delta. Her flight was on time, but there were another 20 flights arriving - it took her about 1.5 hours to clear immigration, pick up her suitcases and clear customs.


At some times of the day, it's busy.
All the times, I arrive or leave at Lima airport, it almost looks deserted.
Getting through immigration and customs is quick. It just takes long waiting for the suitcase.
I always try to travel with hand luggage only to avoid waiting so long for it.

Flying out of Lima, was used to be slow because you had to pay tax when leaving but those days it's almost always included in your ticket.

Re: Flight Cancellations at Jorge Chavez

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:45 pm
by alexPeru
The runway closes at 1am, and doesn't open until 6am, so flights have been rescheduled... that has also affected how busy the airport is.

However, getting back to topic, I think things should be OK. :)

Re: Flight Cancellations at Jorge Chavez

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:36 pm
by chi chi
alexPeru wrote:The runway closes at 1am, and doesn't open until 6am, so flights have been rescheduled... that has also affected how busy the airport is.

However, getting back to topic, I think things should be OK. :)


I hope you mean that the runway is only closed temporarely between 1am and 6am. Because normally there are flights leaving Lima 24h a day.

Re: Flight Cancellations at Jorge Chavez

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:07 pm
by chi chi
I hope everything will be OK because tomorrow, we will be flying to Santiago De Chile. :D

Re: Flight Cancellations at Jorge Chavez

Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:38 pm
by americorps
I am so glad you all posted this thread.

A friend of mine from Germany was flying back and was stuck here for a couple days because of this. He does not understand a work of Spanish and had no idea what was going on. They told him it was for fog and since it was an act of nature, they did not have to compensate him.

I helped him file a complaint with Indecopi and they contacted the airline who promptly issued him hotel and meal vouchers and free round trip ticket and an upgrade.

Re: Flight Cancellations at Jorge Chavez

Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:00 pm
by rama0929
americorps wrote:A friend of mine from Germany was flying back and was stuck here for a couple days because of this. He does not understand a work of Spanish and had no idea what was going on. They told him it was for fog and since it was an act of nature, they did not have to compensate him.


:shock:

Re: Flight Cancellations at Jorge Chavez

Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:20 pm
by americorps
Indecopi is clearly an under-rated Peruvian government service.

They really fight for the consumer.

Re: Flight Cancellations at Jorge Chavez

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:10 am
by Pollo mani
I see the problems at the airport continue this morning, sure hope they get the equipment repaired soon as I have a guest flying in soon.

http://www.lap.com.pe/lap_portal/vuelos ... I&accion=L

Re: Flight Cancellations at Jorge Chavez

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:06 pm
by edgeclinger
Gene's Spirit Air flight landed last night at around 11 with no problems. There were a lot of flights coming in and the international arrival area was pretty much the same as always.