Leaving Apartment Contract

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
mateo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Leaving Apartment Contract

Postby mateo » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:24 pm

First of all...let me say that I am only posting this out of curiosity. I simply want to learn more about where I am living now. So please keep your comments about ethics, duty, or one's moral compass to some other post.

Now for my question...

What could be the consequences if someone (Peruvian or American with visa) simply packed up and left their apartment in the middle of the contract? In the states, I think it could follow you on your credit report, no?

What about here?

Dont worry about the where's and why's. I just wanna know about the legality of it, I guess.
Last edited by mateo on Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pollo mani
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Leaving Apartment Contract

Postby Pollo mani » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:07 pm

Mateo, yes in the states it can follow you if the landlord reports so it hits your credit report. this has a cost attached to it. Some not all do this. Here In Peru I doubt most if anyone reports,as it would cost them money to do so.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:43 pm

if you bail on it here absolutely nothing will happen to you. especially if you leave the country as part of your lease breaking. even if you stayed i doubt it would effect you
kristidnyc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby kristidnyc » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:04 pm

You may lose your security deposit, but I doubt nothing else will happen.

In the US, too, you would lose your security deposit, but it would not end up on your credit report unless you have done something wrong like not paid the last month's rent, or destroyed the apartment.
goingnowherefast

Postby goingnowherefast » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:48 pm

Depends on where in the US. In California if you break a lease you still get your deposit back and unless you're evicted it doesn't go against your credit.

If you break a lease in Peru I doubt anything will happen.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:21 pm

Nothing will happen.

But you can better contact the landlord and tell him you want to leave and hand back the keys to them as a gesture of goodwill so he doesn't have to go through the expensive of getting a locksmith or getting through the paperwork and hassle for evicting you for not paying rent.

Don't worry. The landlord will prefer that than someone who doesn't pay the rent.

And legally nothing will happen. He will not coming to look for you in the US either.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register