Following Birth of Baby, Reniec/DNI steps?

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Following Birth of Baby, Reniec/DNI steps?

Postby MarcoPE » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:25 am

Does anyone know what the steps are to getting the DNI / Birth Certificate etc? Also the pitfalls in the process that we are sure to encounter?

Thanks.

NexLevel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Following Birth of Baby, Reniec/DNI steps?

Postby NexLevel » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:36 am

For kids, its fairly simple. I went to the RENIEC office in San Luis and they told me about a special program where kids can get a dni for free. I had to go around the corner where they had this big setup. I think all I needed to bring was my dni, and the partido de nacimiento of my daughter. They took down the info and then I had to go back in a few weeks to pick it up.
franchute

Postby franchute » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:05 am

In which district of Lima is your baby born? My daughter was born in Miraflores and we had to go to the Municipalidad there with a Birth Certificate from the Clinic where she was born in order to register her birth and obtain her "Partida de Nacimiento".

It is important that you do it within days of her birth. Once you have the "Partida de Nacimiento" you can get a DNI for your baby at any RENIEC.

I think that some districts have an agreement with RENIEC and you can do the paperwork with them but Miraflores doesn't. Therefore each time we need a "Partida de Nacimiento" we have to go to Miraflores.

If you or your spouse foreigners you should check with your local embassy what you have to do to declare the baby's birth there as well.
monsulim
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby monsulim » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:16 pm

We registered our daughter a couple of weeks ago at RENIEC in Pucallpa. All we (father, mother and baby) had to do was to go there, present the baby's certificate from the hospital that she was born alive, my US passport (I could have presented my CE, too, if I had wanted to) and my husband's DNI. (Actually my husband's DNI had expired and the lady just typed in his DNI number into the computer.) The certificate from the hospital is only valid for 30 days. After it expires you have to pay and request another one from the hospital, so we were told.

As for the DNI, we were told that we had to make a payment of S/.16 (I think) at Banco de la Nacion or BCP, take our baby's birth certificate (which we were given when we registered her), and two pictures passport sized. We'll probably do the whole DNI thing when our baby can sit up on her own.

On a side note, I don't know how it is at other RENIEC offices, but the one in Pucallpa is such a HUGE headache. The lines are super long and even with the baby we had to wait a couple of hours. The lady who registered our baby told us that the system is really slow, which probably adds to the long delays. My husband went at 4am to go pick up his DNI and there were about 15 people before him.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register