Original Birth Certificate Needed?

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Original Birth Certificate Needed?

Postby koplinfamilia » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:00 pm

One of our children's passport has just expired and I'm in the process of preparing all that is needed for renewal but I noticed that I will need a birth certificate showing both parents names. I have only a copy, does anyone know if this will be sufficient? I am only imagining if not that some how I will have to get another and have it shipped all the way from NY, does anyone know or has anyone recently applied for a US passport for their children?

If I do have to get another one with a raised seal, what is the cheapest and securest way to get it here? I don't want to use postal service as that often does not work, maybe I could register it?

Integrity Tourism & Transportation
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
USA Direct Line (585) 861-3106
http://www.integritytourism.com
Meerut88

Re: Original Birth Certificate Needed?

Postby Meerut88 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:08 pm

I believe birth certificates are required for the original passport to prove nationality. The expired passport alone should be sufficient to get a new passport. A simple call to the Embassy should answer your question definitively.
RICHARDandNORA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby RICHARDandNORA » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:54 am

Koplin family, I have a similar problem today that is parrallel with yours. In Charlotte, there is a small group named K and D Services that provides personal courier service (papers as well as other common items) between Charlotte and Lima and travel back and forth once per week. I have used this group for over 20 years without a negative incident. From speaking with others, I am aware that similar services are available from the NY area if you can locate them. With prior arrangements, I am sure that your paperwork could be mailed to K & D and then they would forward to their office in Lima. I have no association with K & D except having done business with them for years.....richard
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby koplinfamilia » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:11 pm

Thanks guys, I actually did not need the original as the web site stated. I was very pleased with the customer service we received there at the Embassy, it was refreshing after dealing with the Peruvian department of Migracciones for all of our Peruvian paperwork. The woman at the U.S. Enbassy accepted the copy of the BC with the expired passport and actually today we received notice that the passport is done, about one week. I have to admit this is one tihng I do miss about NY, being able to stop in one office and take care of all the necessary paperwork without having the requirements changed from visit to visit!
Integrity Tourism & Transportation
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
USA Direct Line (585) 861-3106
http://www.integritytourism.com

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register