Daft Peruvian Myths

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
anabonita
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Daft Peruvian Myths

Postby anabonita » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:04 pm

First of thank you for starting this discussion, as it provided about a good hour of entertainment for my husband and I to read. I am so glad others have encountered these same myths. Yes, I get the endless warnings of getting gripe for having a window open and my husband's Peruvian family just shakes their head at the "gringa loca" when I am only wearing a t-shirt. Oh, horror!!!! They freak out when they come to our house and have the windows open, as if I have just committed to some high act of treason. I try to explain to them about snow and real cold. Like trying to unbury your car from a foot of snow and scraping a solid layer of ice off your windshield and it is 10 below outside. Now that is cold in the North! I can't imagine what they would think of a hockey game. Sitting around a rink of ice......ooooohhhhhh Gripe!!!!!

Also, I have heard the ghost stories from my husband's family, as well as my Peruvian friends. But here is another on that I have heard and no one mentioned on this thread. I have heard many Peruvians talk of buried treasures, as in treasures left from the conquistadors! In my husband's family they believe so deeply in this that his cousin is saving money so he can go on an expedition to search for it. He told me that he has a map that was drawn by abuela. This map was drawn from her memory, and mind you this sweet little Peruvian woman is 84 years old and said that this map is from her childhood. As the family talks of this treasure often, I asked the cousin if he planned to take metal detecting devices or some kind of technology. He said, no, he is just going to just start digging, and since he has the exact map from abuela, there is no need for that, he will know exactly where it is. (on a side note, this is a grown adult I am talking about) So we have a real life Goonies adventure that my husband's cousin is planning, and I am sure there will be ghosts along the way as well. My husband and I told them that we just want to come along on the expedition to "help" but actually it will be to watch and for the entertainment!

Kelly

Postby Kelly » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:13 pm

I have a Mormon uncle that is doing the same thing in Utah, he's spent literally 10s of 1000s of dollars searching for the lost Rhoades mine. Gold fever is a world wide phenomenon, no doubt. :?
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:17 pm

Buried treasure, the conquistadors, ancient maps from grandma, the goonies and 'x' marks the spot! Fantastic! They better watch out for the classic booby traps along the way though.... make sure they go prepared!

Thank you for sharing this anabonita. Just when I thought this topic was fading out, we get the best post yet!

Excellent!
captsirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captsirl » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:26 pm

You can go and find records on any ship wreck when, where. value of the cargo. Even if it was a pirate ship.
YET to date there has never been proof of a real treasure map ever found.
Think about it. You put it in the ground, are you really going to forget where you put it. And the map makes your life that much less valuable. If I have the map why do I need you???????
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:56 pm

i had never heard the refrigerator thing until i read this, but JUST NOW i told a girl i'm dating over the phone that i had a sore throat and took off from work today, and she told me "ok, drink lot's of hot drinks and hot soup, and don't open up the refrigerator for at least 2 days." :lol:

Also, I have heard the ghost stories from my husband's family, as well as my Peruvian friends

aside from my geeky software engineer skeptic friend from here, i've yet to meet a peruvian that didn't believe in ghosts.

So we have a real life Goonies adventure that my husband's cousin is planning, and I am sure there will be ghosts along the way as well.

Main equipment needed: Map, Shovel, and most importantly A SWEATER AND A SCARF!
CptnHk

Postby CptnHk » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:01 pm

Yeap, my people have some very interesting science going on. But if "pasar el huevo" sounds interesting wait until you see a "pasada de cuy"; same thing but with a guinea pig, but at the end it gets open to see his insides and find out what is your problem (like a 3D MRI, but much cheaper).

Lets see,

Cold drinks and air drafts: Lime/os will call "tener un resfrio", "estar con la gripe" or "estar con los bronquios" to anything related to the lung and bronchial system, and don't differentiate between them. Because of the high humidity (basically carrying water in the lungs) ingesting an abundance of cold things have a higher impact on the lungs as that water cools. Is not a great idea to put stress on your lungs when you are already sick; but besides that is like having a tummy ache after eating too much. The lungs will react and lime/os will call this a "resfrio".

Ironing and cold: In the good old days, irons would be wireless, you heard me right. You would fill them up with burning coals, basically having your hands and your wrist inches away from them for hours while you iron. That hand got really hot! as fun as it would be to cool it by putting it in a bucket of ice in the long run it will hurt your joints. Is people just repeating what once was true.

Cold milk: 20 some years ago you would have a hard time trying to find any cold pasteurized milk; it was either "leche fresca" or evaporated milk. Leche fresca was actually fresh and needed to be boiled before drinking it, and "leche de tarro" just didn't mix well with cold water (I don't know if that has changed). Basically most grown up Lime/os grew up drinking only hot milk.

Chucaque: this is a hard one, chucaque can mean multiple things. "casi me da un chucaque" means "almost had a heart attack" in the figurative way. Some people will call a chucaque to almost any kind of headache, but it refers mostly to a hard to describe tension/pain/discomfort all over the skull that happens often when people go to la sierra. Chucaque also refers to the cure for this pain that consists in pulling the hair of the victim.. i mean patient, until the muscles on the head pop! Yes, I had it done once, and yes, it does feel great, and no, I won't do it again. Finally, if you ever hear a mother telling her kid "te voy a sacar los chucaques, vas a ver!" just get out of the way, someone is about to be on the ending point of some tough love.

Ok, these were fun memories, but I have to get back to work and I'm already late for lunch.
MartitaAQP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MartitaAQP » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:13 pm

CptnHk wrote:Because of the high humidity (basically carrying water in the lungs) ingesting an abundance of cold things have a higher impact on the lungs as that water cools. Is not a great idea to put stress on your lungs when you are already sick; but besides that is like having a tummy ache after eating too much. The lungs will react and lime/os will call this a "resfrio".

In Arequipa we have 0% humidity but exactly the same idea (anything cold you eat makes you sick).

I do sometimes wish the term "resfriado" existed in English because sometimes you don't have cold virus but you have temporary symptoms because of strange or really cold weather, right?

What surprises me (because all of the mentioned myths and more have come my way at some point) is that some of you with peruvian spouses seem to be able to laugh when some of their beliefs... I'm curious if your peruvian SOs take that well? I've learned to swallow my opinion and what seems laughable to me try not to LAUGH at...it doesn't go over well with my novio or others as it's what they've been taught for generations (don't mess with what my mommy said!) and also what even medical professionals here will say. I know we have our own ridiculous assumptions and beliefs in the US (but they don't seem so ridiculous as dodging the fridge door to me, of course:). I've even starting wearing scarves when I have a sore throat and covering my feet when my stomache hurts....it's infectious I guess :)
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:23 am

My husband eats up anything I say - he loves to learn. I have to laugh at him when he calls me to watch something on the Discovery channel, and tells me "You were right! They're saying what you said about the germs!"

It can be embarrassing at times though, because I don't really care to argue with his mother or aunts about these things.. it just seems rude to me - but my husband has no problem at all telling them "Well Kelly says thats not true...." or "Well, in the US, they say....." It just makes me cringe, because I imagine them thinking "oh these North Americans just think they know everything..."
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:08 pm

is it me or is having a cold classed as a major illness in Peru? or any other minor problem or illness for that matter! or is it a case of the mothers just overly taking care of the family members? i don't know about you guys but when i get a cold i just get on with things as per usual!
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:07 pm

yeah it's because they baby their kids forever here. it's actually one of the things i like about the culture, the way moms are with their kids.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register