security in peru

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
naphore

security in peru

Postby naphore » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:08 pm

Hi everybody.

I will move to Lima in a few months so I try to gather the maximum of information about this city.

I read many forums and even lonely planet and they all say that Lima is very dangerous (of course, it depends on which neighboor you live) and that you have to take care about taxi drivers who can steal you...

So I haven't come yet that I'm already afraid... Is it really dangereous ?

I don't look after violence or fights, on the contrary... But I'm quite parano so... Is Lima violent ? Does pickepocket steal you with violence ? Can police help you ?

Are there a lot of foreigners ?

Thanks for all your answers!

alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: security in peru

Postby alan » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:40 pm

I am not certain why Fanning is being so negative in his view. What has been covered time and time again in this forum (you ought to check out a lot of previous posts if you are researching your move here) is that Lima, like many big cities, has problem areas, and yes, some cab drivers will assault you. Your risks rise if you are a foreigner, especially one who is naive. That said, if you take normal precautions, use registered taxis, and don´t venture into areas you know nothing about at all hours, you ought to be just fine. You can also consult this page: http://www.expatperu.com/safety-in-peru.html
captsirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captsirl » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:26 pm

I'v been places in Miami repossessing equipment that makes Callao look like a state park. I find the bad guys here to be petty and stupid. I have had Peruvian friends robed here and my house broken into while the security watched and could not remember the car the bad guys were in.(5 pm in the afternoon) . But I lost nothing in the incident because I take precautions. My neighbors were kind enough to tell me and the police what happened, but as always they did nothing while it was happening. And one time a guy was beating the security guard up for not opening the gate fast enough at 4 am in the morning. But I busted him up so badly that he and his family decided it best to move. So at least Amalia Puga de la Lozada is safe here in San Miguel.
I never worry any where I am here even camping. The story's they tell us in the USA are just to keep you thinking your safer there. Never found that to be true so come on down here you just may find you like it. There are very safe places to live and they are easy to find.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:12 am

Live in a decent neighborhood, have basic street smarts and you'll be fine. I've been in quite dangerous areas and have never been messed with. Of course, I'm bigger than just about any Peruvian, and coming from New York I know how to recognize trouble, etc. A big thing is act confident if you end up in a shady place, don't look worried or lost, they smell that like sharks smell blood.
captsirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captsirl » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:06 am

Well put renodante
If your from any large city in the USA your street smarts put you light years ahead of the rest here.
goingnowherefast

Postby goingnowherefast » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:46 am

You won't be in Kansas anymore but it's not Beirut. As far as walking on the streets just don't go into bad areas and be alert and you'll be ok.

Home invasions aren't uncommon here, if you have a family to look after, you might want to look into some options for protection, a small firearm, a security company to respond to incidents, 24 hour security guard, etc (you'd do that in the States anyways).
susita83
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby susita83 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:21 am

renodante wrote:Live in a decent neighborhood, have basic street smarts and you'll be fine. I've been in quite dangerous areas and have never been messed with. Of course, I'm bigger than just about any Peruvian, and coming from New York I know how to recognize trouble, etc. A big thing is act confident if you end up in a shady place, don't look worried or lost, they smell that like sharks smell blood.

Exactly. I'm a New Yorker too, so the way I look at it is... would you walk around by yourself in BedStuy, East New York or the South Bronx at night alone? If you were crazy enough & you did, would you wear your gold? Would you carry a lot of cash on you?

No way. So why would you do it in questionable areas of Lima?
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:09 pm

Just take the same precautions as you take at home. Lima is just as safe and as dangerous as any big city in Europe or the US.

There are many foreigners living in Lima and rarely, they have problems. Violent crime towards foreigners is very rare. Opportunist crimes like pick pocketing happen a lot but you can avoid to be a victim if you don't give them an apportunity.

Taxis are the most expensive way of transport but Lima has a lot of public transport that serves every part of the city. Fares are between 0.50 and 2 soles. Busdrivers and cobradores are very friendly and helpfull.

Some information on public transport:

http://www.metropolitano.com.pe/
http://www.lineauno.pe

Some of the AFFORDABLE, centrally located and safe areas to live in are in San Miguel, Magdalena Del Mar, Jesus Maria, Pueblo Libre, La Perla, Lince, Chorillos and Los Olivos.

Be very carefull in Miraflores especially around Parque Kennedy. Drugdealers, prostitutes, peadophiles are abandunt in that area and pick pocketing happens frequently. Don't get abstracted by people who ask you for 'the time'. And be carefull in the bars that your drink doesn't get spiked.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:54 pm

If you are really paranoid about safety then it's better you move to the provinces.
Beside safety concern, Lima is also a very dirty and expensive city to live in. The city is clogged in smog and streets are full of trash and graffiti.

Cities in La Selva like Tarapoto, Puerto Maldonado and Pucallpa are beautifull and safe. Waving palmtrees, lush mountainviews, wonderfull lagoons and breathtaking waterfalls are awaiting you. People are friendly and honest. When I leave my home to go to the market, I don't even lock my door and I sleep with my windows open. My motorbike is parked in front of the house all night.

Cost of living is also far cheaper than in Lima.

Compare the following pictures of Tarapoto of what you will encounter in Lima.

http://www.google.com.bo/search?tbm=isc ... 60&bih=571
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:15 pm

naphore wrote:Hi everybody.

I will move to Lima in a few months so I try to gather the maximum of information about this city.

I read many forums and even lonely planet and they all say that Lima is very dangerous (of course, it depends on which neighboor you live) and that you have to take care about taxi drivers who can steal you...

So I haven't come yet that I'm already afraid... Is it really dangereous ?

I don't look after violence or fights, on the contrary... But I'm quite parano so... Is Lima violent ? Does pickepocket steal you with violence ? Can police help you ?

Are there a lot of foreigners ?

Thanks for all your answers!

It's dangerous, but I can't say it's any more dangerous than a typical metropolitan area. I'd doubt you'd be staying in, say, La Victoria anyway

If you're paranoid, you may run into problems and I suspect many of them will be imaginary.

Pickpockets generally don't use violence. Distraction and misdirection, certainly. You won't get cut but your bag or clothes will.

Yeah, there are a lot of foreigners in Lima.

What are you used to, where are you from?

The group here is pretty tight, what with coffe klatches and whatnot, so once you get here, you should have no shortage of people to show you around.
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:23 pm

Check out this page http://www.limaeasy.com/lima_info/safet ... a_peru.php. It gives you a good general overview, more for tourist, but suitable for Lima beginners as well. And by the way: after nearly six years here in Lima, my kids and I are still alive and well. Don't be paranoid or afraid, there's no reason for it.
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:12 am

I can't say anything about Lima, but I consider the city where I live (Trujillo) to be quite unsafe. I have lost count of the robberies I have witnessed here, not to mention the endless stories of others. Are robberies violent? Usually, YES. You won't get killed but, if you resist, you may get punched, shoved to the ground, etc. It is really disgusting, because the choros (thieves) usually target women. Armed robberies are also very common and stores here get robbed all the time (it is not considered a big deal anymore). It is NOT like most of Europe (except maybe for the absolute worst areas).
goingnowherefast

Postby goingnowherefast » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:19 pm

What I was surprised with was the amount of big take downs currently happening in Peru. Arrived a few months back and I lost count of how many daylight bank robberies I've read about. Read about a casa de cambio getting robbed for 60K usd on Calle Schell in Miraflores last week, they rented the apartment above it and cut a hole in the wall on a Saturday night and snagged the safe. Probably make a pretty cool movie.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:15 pm

goingnowherefast wrote:What I was surprised with was the amount of big take downs currently happening in Peru. Arrived a few months back and I lost count of how many daylight bank robberies I've read about. Read about a casa de cambio getting robbed for 60K usd on Calle Schell in Miraflores last week, they rented the apartment above it and cut a hole in the wall on a Saturday night and snagged the safe. Probably make a pretty cool movie.

Foreigners are not targeted by the big and dangerous criminals. They are more interested in robbing a bank or assaulting or kidnapping a rich businessowner.
They are not interested in robbing a backpacker his few dollares or solitos.

When someone behave suspicous then I act very rude and agressive.
In January, I was walking with my gf in Barranco at night. My gf told me that two people where following us. We passed a pile of trash and I saw a bottle. I pick up the bottle, smashed it against the wall, ran into the direccion of the two rats and yelled that I was going to kill them. They ran away quickly.

If you come over as more dangerous than them, then they won't take a chance. Criminals prefer an easy prey.

When I had my business in Lima, I had always a bottle of acid behind the counter. Ready to throw in any robbers face.
goingnowherefast

Postby goingnowherefast » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:44 pm

Thanks chi chi, I'll start carrying around an extra glass bottle and make sure I practice screaming before I go outside.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:02 pm

goingnowherefast wrote:Thanks chi chi, I'll start carrying around an extra glass bottle and make sure I practice screaming before I go outside.

If you get yourself robbed and hand over your money and other things then they will keep robbing you. Criminals know that if they can rob you once, they can rob you again and again.
goingnowherefast

Postby goingnowherefast » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:12 pm

Well, let's just hope you know how to handle that bottle.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:27 pm

goingnowherefast wrote:Well, let's just hope you know how to handle that bottle.

How would you handle it then if someone is going to rob you? Are you going to sit on your knees and beg the criminal not to rob you?
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:10 pm

chi chi wrote:
goingnowherefast wrote:When someone behave suspicous then I act very rude and agressive.
In January, I was walking with my gf in Barranco at night. My gf told me that two people where following us. We passed a pile of trash and I saw a bottle. I pick up the bottle, smashed it against the wall, ran into the direccion of the two rats and yelled that I was going to kill them. They ran away quickly.

If you come over as more dangerous than them, then they won't take a chance. Criminals prefer an easy prey.

When I had my business in Lima, I had always a bottle of acid behind the counter. Ready to throw in any robbers face.

Yeah Chi Chi, we get it , you are a tough guy... Your strategy will probably work as long as you are bigger/more intimidating than the choros. But what are you going to do when they pull a gun on you? Most of the robbers here in Trujillo are armed.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:27 pm

KenBE wrote:

Yeah Chi Chi, we get it , you are a tough guy... Your strategy will probably work as long as you are bigger/more intimidating than the choros. But what are you going to do when they pull a gun on you? Most of the robbers here in Trujillo are armed.[/quote]

You don't have to be tall. Tall gringos are easier targeted. They stand out in the crowd and look like the gringo who doesn't 'know' how things go in Peru. Tall gringos look like touristas that come here for the first time and are easy to rob or scam.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:36 pm

Arrived a few months back and I lost count of how many daylight bank robberies I've read about.

I wonder when it's going to dawn on them to install bullet proof glass and have the tellers/safe be inaccessible from the outside? They set up banks like buffets for criminals here.
goingnowherefast

Postby goingnowherefast » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:59 pm

It was stupid of you to make a move like that with your girl around chi chi.

No, I'm not going to get on my knees and beg for them to stop. I'm prepared to deal with the majority of day to day threats that exist here.

Just watching the news and very sad to hear of an American killed during a robbery in Cusco last night.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:27 pm

renodante wrote:
Arrived a few months back and I lost count of how many daylight bank robberies I've read about.

I wonder when it's going to dawn on them to install bullet proof glass and have the tellers/safe be inaccessible from the outside? They set up banks like buffets for criminals here.

In Europe and the US, the counter staff is sitting behind bullet proof glass but it doesn't stop bankrobberies.

Robbers will use customers as hostages so those bullet proof windows don't make sense. They just make it more dangerous for customers.

In Peru, they point the gun at the staff and ask them to hand over the cash. Staff is for sure trained for that sort of situations and know what to do and not to do during a robbery.

But if the staff is behind bullet proof glass then the robbers will point the gun at the customers...and customers aren't trained and don't know what to do in such a situtation. So, I am sure customers will be killed.
captsirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captsirl » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:54 pm

Public schools should have mandatory classes on armed robbery situations.
Yes there ought to be a law for this.
Yes Yes there should be a law.
What everyone needs is a law.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:15 pm

My solution: allow everyone to carry guns.

That will solve overpopulation and crime, a two for one.
rubble
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rubble » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:34 pm

chi chi wrote,
"You don't have to be tall. Tall gringos are easier targeted. They stand out in the crowd and look like the gringo who doesn't 'know' how things go in Peru. Tall gringos look like touristas that come here for the first time and are easy to rob or scam."

Do you ever read what you write BEFORE you press the 'submit' tag?
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:20 am

falconagain wrote:My solution: allow everyone to carry guns.

Any even better solution: long prison sentences for anyone who's found in possesion of a gun or other weapon.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:31 pm

chi chi wrote:
falconagain wrote:My solution: allow everyone to carry guns.

Any even better solution: long prison sentences for anyone who's found in possesion of a gun or other weapon.

Like maybe a glass bottle?
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:22 pm

Back on the year 2000, I was coming back from the airport on Faucett avenue.
I was driving with my uncle. When we stopped in Av Argentina a bunch of piranitas
immediately approached the car with bad intentions, I simply accelerated on the
red light. We were left with 2 piranitas, each one of them hanging from the side
mirrors of the car, it was surreal. What I did, I simply twisted the car in such a way
that they got loose and bounced on the pavement a little bit. (I did not now that
people could bounce that way). On the next morning I called the police station
of the area and asked to speak with the officer in charge. I related the whole
incident to the Captain of the station. The Captain replied, those kids are less
than animals. Do not worry, If they appear we will finish the job. That was one
of the few times when I said I love Peru. .
cgage

Postby cgage » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:57 am

All of this is depressing to hear. I'm going to retire in Peru hopefully in Trujillo. I think i need to keep in mind that in my city in the US, I've been robbed. Almost everybody I know has been some type of crime victim. I saw a store clerk on the street where I live get shot. Two weeks later the store owner was shot. I knew a lady who was killed by her gardner.
Yet, I dont feel real unsafe where I am somehow. I dont walk at night. I dont carry money. When I lived in New York City, I walked fast all the time and tried to look unfriendly. WHen I lived in Memphis, I set out to shoot and kill the neighborhood robber who robbed old people and women.. I'm not kidding. I think the police got him before I did. I know what to expect here. I know the bad.
In a foreign country, I wouldn't know as much about what to do and not to do, where to go and not. I think that crime in an unfamiliar country seems worse than in your native country.
Also, most of the street criminals in the US end up dead or in prison or just stuck in the prison of their miserable situation. There's a sense of justice or karma somehow. It's my perception that LA crime is a kind of profession that people get away with or bribe themselves out of. I may be wrong on that.

To sum up, you could have a heart attack, or get cancer or have a car wreck and/or get robbed.
You have to quit worrying and live.
RICHARDandNORA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby RICHARDandNORA » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:38 pm

I lived in Lima from 2000 to 2006, traveled throughout the city weekly including Malvinas and never once felt intimidated. I understand that it is a little worse now, but I am still quite comfortable there. I have never experienced anything like the conditions that you have described in the USA and I am from Charlotte. We will be moving back to Lima soon.......
PS0ZXD

Postby PS0ZXD » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:48 pm

Hi,
I am wandering where have you lived in America that was so dangerous. I assume Chicago or LA.
I never felt in danger in USA, maybe if I feel in danger I take my sidekick with me. In Peru you do not have that option. Even though I have been many times in Lima and in Trujillo, as much I never felt in danger, but that does not mean it is safe. Maybe I was just lucky. Me and my wife walked late at night from plaza del armas to our home, nobody ever bothered us. If you kill somebody in self defence you can imagine how much fun would press have to describe you as bad foreigner killing one innocent Peruvian, and they will send you to Lury Guncho (forgive my spelling), real hell on earth if there is such a thing.
What I am saying there is not comparison in safety between US and Peru. You just have to be very cautius, and avoid bad situations, do not let anybody follow you, and look dangerous, with no fear.
I like to put military type clothes on me. They are very comfortable, and often I see officers and guards greeting me. When I retire I prefer to live in the mountains if I can get adjusted to their primitive life style. It is so nice being able to do most things using internet or telephone, like order stuff, paying bills and so much more, what is just not possible in Peru.
As my final opinion Peru is very unsafe place, but on the other side it is easier to live on Soc. Sec.
So in everything there is some kind of compromise available.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register