Canadian visa for Peruvians

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Canadian visa for Peruvians

Postby chi chi » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:27 pm

Do Peruvians need a visa just to transfer at an Canadian airport? She will only be at Vancouver airport for 3 hours and then take the next flight to the Philipines. No visa is required for Philipines.

rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Canadian visa for Peruvians

Postby rama0929 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:44 pm

No visa needed unless she's leaving the terminal.
Scottperu411
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Scottperu411 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:36 am

I think you will find she does.
As a resident of BC, and having a Peruvian friend/employee that has travelled into Canada several times on a multiple-entry visa, our experience would say otherwise.
And being that all boarding gates at YVR are on the other side of customs/immigration, there is nothing stopping a passenger from leaving a boarding lounge, walking down the escalators to the luggage belts, and then outside the terminal.......there is no one to stop a person.
That being said, where is she coming from?
It can't be from Lima as the only direct Lima to Canada is into Toronto, and I guarantee there she does as we have flown into Toronto many times and visa is always checked.
And she can't be connecting into Vancouver via USA as a visa is for sure required for in-transit Peruvians ...I verified that myself with USA entry the last time I flew back from Peru before making arrangements for my friend to come.

Of course all this applied to my scenario. Regular Peruvian citizen, living in Peru, no special status (clergy, athlete,etc) no marital ties, no status in USA, just a regular person from Trujillo.
So check it out. A turn away at the airport would be devastating.
But I'm still wondering where she is connecting in from.....:)
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:25 pm

Scottperu411 wrote:And being that all boarding gates at YVR are on the other side of customs/immigration, there is nothing stopping a passenger from leaving a boarding lounge, walking down the escalators to the luggage belts, and then outside the terminal.......there is no one to stop a person.

But if she has an international layover, shouldn't she already be in the terminal after arriving?

I'm assuming she's coming in from a destination other than Peru (Mexico?), as you say, there are no flights from Lima to Vancouver.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:58 pm

The cheapest flight to the Philipines we found was Lima to Toronto, Toronto to Vancouver and Vancouver to Manilla.
Scottperu411
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Scottperu411 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:52 pm

so Toronto is your problem then...

http://www.torontopearson.com/Connecting.aspx#

Connecting to an International flight within Terminal 1 (excluding US)
Confirm with your airline that your baggage is tagged to your final destination. If so, follows the signs to your connecting gate.
If your baggage is not tagged through to your final destination please follow the Baggage Claim signs to retrieve your baggage for Canada Customs processing. Then proceed to your airline’s check in area.

so if your bags are not tagged to final destination, then you are in trouble indeed. Cause you wont get through Customs. If they are tagged through, then I dont have a definitive answer.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:17 pm

chi chi wrote:The cheapest flight to the Philipines we found was Lima to Toronto, Toronto to Vancouver and Vancouver to Manilla.

Jeez, how long will she be traveling? Sounds like 25-30 hours in transit.
susita83
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby susita83 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:27 am

fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:32 am

Didn't you say you were working in the airline business ?
If there is a flight from Toronto to Vancouver, that is an national flight, not an International stopover. She will surely need a visa.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:31 pm

Thanks for the advice folks.

My gf got today her C-1 visa from the US embassy in Lima. Flying from Lima to the Philipines via New York and Hong Kong was cheaper too.

And as we arrive in the morning and the connecting flight is in the late afternoon, we can visit Manhattan for the day and have a pint of Guinness and an Irish stew at the Galway Hooker at 7th Avenue.

http://www.galwayhookernyc.com/
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:46 pm

chi chi wrote:Thanks for the advice folks.

My gf got today her C-1 visa from the US embassy in Lima. Flying from Lima to the Philipines via New York and Hong Kong was cheaper too.

And as we arrive in the morning and the connecting flight is in the late afternoon, we can visit Manhattan for the day and have a pint of Guinness and an Irish stew at the Galway Hooker at 7th Avenue.

You'll want to be careful with that (timing), it's not like JFK is that accessible to Manhattan, especially if you're carrying luggage.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:31 pm

rama0929 wrote:
chi chi wrote:Thanks for the advice folks.

You'll want to be careful with that (timing), it's not like JFK is that accessible to Manhattan, especially if you're carrying luggage.

I did several transfers in New York before. And as we have 10 hours it's easily to do. There's a luggage storage at terminals 1,4 and 8. And by subway, Manhattan can be reached in 1 hour.

After visiting NY so many times, it isn't that special to me anymore but for my gf, it's nice that she can visit it.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register