Directv...NO FoxNews now??

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
PeruFan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Directv...NO FoxNews now??

Postby PeruFan » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:46 am

Directv users...Anyone else noticed that Fox News is now gone? UGH! Now we have no American news channels. Even though I know fox is not really "unbiased" I still enjoyed having it as an option. Now we're stuck with another LA news channel.

Any chance we can all complain and see if they'll bring it back?

vrc36

Re: Directv...NO FoxNews now??

Postby vrc36 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:22 am

No FoxNews now? wow!! Maybe now there is a chance we can get some real fair and balanced news.

Which reminds me of their logo: "We report, you decide" Well, I've seen their reporting and I've decided that they're full of crap. (Sorry if the language is not proper).

Some of their shows however are so skewed, that at times, it reaches the silly entertainment zone, and for that reason alone, there may be a reason to complain.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:30 am

While it won't bring FoxNews back to DirectTV, you can sign up for USTVnow.com for free and get ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox and the CW and watch all the regular network news shows. Link> http://bit.ly/H7SSYv
PeruFan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby PeruFan » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:08 pm

Actually Kelly I do enjoy USTVnow.com I actually heard about it here on expatperu. When I saw it I thought there had to be a catch. I was expecting a limited time offer, or terrible image, or even worse constant ads or popups. It has been great. I can't say I watch it much because of the need to hook up the tv to the laptop, etc. It is a nice alternative though.

If you haven't tried it check into it. Still gonna miss my FoxNews though. :(
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:04 pm

Wow WTFFFF, Canceling DirecTV tomorrow FNC was the only reason I have kept DirecTV for so long. It's such a waste of money with the ability to d/l most shows and buy Blu-rays at Polvos.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:44 pm

In the 90s when Cablemagico started one of their selling points to Peruvians
was that the children could learn english by watching abc, cbs, nbc and other
7 english only channels. Now all the cable companies are only selling packages
full of crappy channels that do not provide any value.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:08 pm

FoxNews is still on Claro.
FHCZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FHCZ » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:36 pm

It's also on Movistar (Cablemagico)

Fausto
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:42 pm

falconagain wrote:In the 90s when Cablemagico started one of their selling points to Peruvians
was that the children could learn english by watching abc, cbs, nbc and other
7 english only channels.

Beavis and Butthead are back on MTV so the kids can learn english from them. Huh Huh Huh
cdoggnets

Postby cdoggnets » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:19 am

There is no reason to have direct tv in Lima anymore...if this change is permanent, I'm cancelling this week. And for all those who hate on Fox News. It is the only channel that presents the conservative side responsibly, and they always have a leftist counter. If you want only one point of view try CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, The NY Times, The Washington Post, Time, Newsweek, go to most college campuses, Hollywood, the choices are infinite. So stop crying about one cable news channel and get a clue. Cable Magico will be geeting a new customer.
captsirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captsirl » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:14 am

Beavis and Butthead are back on MTV so the kids can learn english from them. Huh Huh Huh[/quote]

Is there a difference? I Thought the same people produced FOX news and Beavis and Butthead
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:32 am

I just canceled DirecTV after 5 years of good service. They replaced FNC with a 24 hour Chilean News service LOL. Just be warned, it's not easy to cancel DirecTV, they hound you for a good 5 mins trying to convince you to stay. Basically, I only really watch FNC and I watch movies / sports via internet or Polvos Blu-rays.
MartitaAQP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MartitaAQP » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:47 pm

When you called directtv to cancel, did they tell you the foxnews elimination was permanent? I noticed they still advertise it in their packages so I was hoping the outage was temporary due to a contract lapse or something. If they indicate it's permanent, I'll be changing too. However, I previously had cablemagico and they DIDN'T have FNC. If they do, it's been added in the past year.
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:58 pm

I got connected to a manager as soon as I used the word cancel. She told me several times she doesn't know and she did not want to give me false hope. She could not give any info if it's coming back basically. She tried to sell me on this craptastic 24h news channel and I was like.. "do you not realize I'm speaking to you with a gringo accent? WTF would I want Chile news for instead of news from the USA????". Anyway, they were nice and professional just prepared for the hard-sell when you try to cancel.

On DirecTV's website FNC is totally gone on this page:
http://www.directv.com.pe/paquetes/guia ... s?link=nav

Yea claro is not available in my building here in Miraflores still :( I'll just get the cheapest movistar plan so I at least have locals for my girlfriend but we rarely watch anything. Between Netflix, Hulu+, torrents, Blu-ray from Polvos, the NHL package on my PS3, the NFL package online, I have like zero reason to pay for monthly cable. Movistar has a 4Mb data plan w/cable that would be cheaper than my current 3Mb non-cable plan. I will just sign up for that garbage and probably kill myself after having to deal with their support.
PeruFan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby PeruFan » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:08 pm

Well, I sent in a complaint to Directv. Unfortunately I am not done with my contract so I won't be able to cancel. But I made it clear that I will not recommend their service, nor will I keep it if they don't renew with Fox News.

I happen to think the political coverage on Fox News is the best. With elections coming up I hate to miss it. I agree with cdoggnets view that there is plenty of liberal news options already out there.
richiecry
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby richiecry » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:58 pm

I had to write my first post here (mainly because I cannot figure out how to write in the "introduce yourself" post without replying to the post above)...BUT....as a Canadian who lived in the USA for 13 years (went over when I was 27 and now back in Canada for a month....how will be moving to Peru sometime next year), I have to say FOX News is the most biased piece of propaganda I have ever seen. They are not only propaganda in terms of their opinion shows (which in my mind is perfectly okay), they present propaganda in their news shows and even in the advertisements. I love intelligent right wing opinion....but right wing news isn't intelligent...it speaks to the lowest common denominator. I am glad this channel is not being offered in Peru....but hopefully some of the right wing commentator shows can be picked up individually.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:18 pm

That sure is a nice way to introduce yourself to the forum.
Last edited by sbaustin on Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy111
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jimmy111 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:33 pm

Richicry
Fox news is the right wing propaganda machine. It is no different than the left. However the majority of their "news" is targeted at undermining the propaganda that people take as fact from the left. Not like the left in just plain not reporting or even going as far as covering up important news.
It has in the last few years gone more extreme. Personally I think that this is by order or rubert murdoc in an effort to eventually get rid of fox news.
We really need a real news source. Not political coverup machines.
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:50 pm

richiecry wrote:I had to write my first post here (mainly because I cannot figure out how to write in the "introduce yourself" post without replying to the post above)...BUT....as a Canadian who lived in the USA for 13 years (went over when I was 27 and now back in Canada for a month....how will be moving to Peru sometime next year), I have to say NBC is the most biased piece of propaganda I have ever seen. They are not only propaganda in terms of their opinion shows (which in my mind is perfectly okay), they present propaganda in their news shows and even in the advertisements. I love intelligent left wing opinion....but left wing news isn't intelligent...it speaks to the lowest common denominator. I am glad this channel is not being offered in Peru....but hopefully some of the left wing commentator shows can be picked up individually.

I totally agree. NBC is out of control.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:52 pm

I think this thread is more suited to discussing the presence or lack of Fox News for those who wish to view it - If you'd like to discuss the Left v. Right propaganda machines, that would be a PERFECT discussion to go in the new Offtopic Forum - thanks!
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:14 pm

Fox News isn't available because the parent companies couldn't get together on a deal. Nothing more, nothing less.

They've been sparring for months now.
goingnowherefast

Postby goingnowherefast » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:58 pm

Who needs Fox news when on channel 61 u can watch episodes of Cops from the 90's all day! Peruvians don't understand it well though, they always ask me "why do they all wear pants that aren't theirs?"
vrc36

Postby vrc36 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:20 pm

Welcome to the forum richiecry.

As noticed, there are members in this forum who would give credence to the objectivity of Foxnews. I personally differ with their sentiments and give more validity to the major networks they call "mainstream media" mainly ABC,CBS,NBC and PBS. If I want a better way to stay "fair and balanced", through the use of my computer, I can reach just about any news media in the world and be better informed.

Foxnews however, appeals to a certain segment of the US population by finding easy targets to the complex problems of the nation. Their counterpart MSNBC and Current TV, are the other side of the story.

Nevertheless, I will miss Hannity and O'reilly if only for the laughs.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:22 pm

The problem is not that the left and the right have their own propaganda channels.
The problem is the people that believe their lies and defend them without thinking.
I rather have fox together with all the rest as a point of comparison.

The last sincere piece of news reporting that I remember seeing was when
an Consultant told the anchors of Cnn (your money program), that people
should use their savings to live frugally during the next five years. The
reaction of both anchors was a very offensive laugh that meant that the
whole audience is screwed and that they eventually will be poor.

Looks like sincerity sometimes is shown on TV regardless of left and right bias.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:34 am

goingnowherefast wrote:Who needs Fox news when on channel 61 u can watch episodes of Cops from the 90's all day! Peruvians don't understand it well though, they always ask me "why do they all wear pants that aren't theirs?"

Or BAIT CAR.

It's funny to see when the chorros get locked in. And then try to talk their way out.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register