Avoid altitude sickness

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
maxvolym

Avoid altitude sickness

Postby maxvolym » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:54 pm

Hi everyone!
I might go to Macchu picchu this spring (finally). But I have a few questions about avoiging altitude sickness.

Which is best?

1. Go straight from Cusco airport to Ollantaytambo and sleep there before continuing to MP next day?

2. Stay 1-2 nights in Cusco to get used to the height?

How fast will ALS strike you?

I mean if you feel sick direct you get off the plane it might be better to sleep in cusco ..

Kelly

Re: Avoid altitude sickness

Postby Kelly » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:21 pm

The altitude hit me like a ton of bricks as soon as I stepped off the plane; my sister and nephew had been taking medicine from the US before we left and it wasn't as bad for them.

Remember that Machu Picchu is actually lower than Cuzco - if you go straight on, you will most likely be ok. Having a place to stay in Ollantaytambo rather than Cuzco for the first night is a great idea if you are concerned about the altitude.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:55 pm

Kelly wrote:The altitude hit me like a ton of bricks

How does it feel?

If often drive with my motorcycle around in the moutains in La Selva but the only thing I feel is that my ears are popping when I drive back down to Tarapoto. (like in the aircraft during landing)
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:37 pm

Extremely tired, headache, dizzyness. Me and both kids slept the whole day our first day in Cuzco.
alkaline

Postby alkaline » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:16 pm

The best advice not to suffer in the cuzco's altitude is stay 1 or 2 days before to climb to the mountain. Also there's a pill named "sorochi pill" that makes you feel better.
ydelsanto08
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby ydelsanto08 » Wed May 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Alititude sickness piils are really just a caffine and tylneol.
You can get these pills at any pharmacy/ Drink lots of water too. That helps as well.
It's worth the hassle, Peru's mountains are beautiful!!
richiecry
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby richiecry » Fri May 04, 2012 8:27 am

Is there a medication anyone knows that someone can buy that the person visiting Machu Picchu can take prior to actually arriving there that will help him deal with altitude sickness? My brother will be doing a 2 day trip starting Sept 3. We plan to get him to Cuzco Sept 1 and I know people say a couple days should be enough (it was for me as well) but I also hear stories about people being laid up for up to a week...including one person I talked to on the way back from Peru the last time I was there. Please let me know. Thanks.
limaclub

Postby limaclub » Mon May 07, 2012 2:32 pm

Hi all,
Altitude sickness affects different people in different ways, best advice would be plenty of water and to take it easy the first couple of days before doing any trekking. That can be very hard as cusco and surrounding area is so beautiful that all you will want to do it explore!
We have an event in the club house on wed 6th of June all about Macchu picchu, everyone is welcome and will be of benefit to you.

History and discovery of Machu Picchu
Come learn more about the history and discovery of Machu Picchu- information you won’t find in all of the guidebooks! Though Machu Picchu was made famous by Hiram Bingham, he was not the first to “discover” the site. Researcher/Explorer Paolo Greer will be sharing his findings and research with us on Wednesday, June 6th at 6:00pm. Greer has led National Geographic, National Public Radio, and numerous other expeditions into the Andes and Amazon. Whether you have already visited Machu Picchu, or are planning your first trip, Greer’s insights will be sure to add to your appreciation of this wonder of the world!

Cost: Members 4 Soles, Non-members 8 Soles
Date: Wednesday 6th of June from 6:00pm until8.00 pm.
Where: Lima Clubhouse, Calle Piura 135, Miraflores
Saludos,

South American Explorers,
956 Enrique Palacios,
Miraflores,
Lima 18.
Tel: 01 447 7731

http://www.saexplorers.org

Open: Mon-Fri: 0930 – 1700 (Weds: 2000); Sat: 0930 - 1300
madgerbadger

Postby madgerbadger » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:07 am

We hiked the Inka trail last April and to prepare for it, we took Diamox.
It is sold over the counter here in Peru as acetazolamide. We took it two days
prior to arrival in Cuzco 250 mg twice a day, until we reached the highest
altitude of the trek 13,780 ft. Of course if you are taking other medications,
check with your physician first.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:53 pm

My father came to visit a few years ago and he passed out in Cusco although he was taking altitude sickness pills so you just never know.
Icachico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Icachico » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:17 am

Mate de coca or chew some leaves.
limaclub

Postby limaclub » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:11 am

Caramelos de limon (lemon candies), candies of coca, mate de coca and lot of water (at least 2L), or even coca leaves (take some in your mouth to chewish them). The water is especially to avoid headache, but you can then take paracetamol or aspirin (the "soroche pills" they sell seem to contain aspirin). Take it easy the first day, starting with water and candies in the plane and then during the day in Cusco. You won't necessary be sick the first day (even if you arrive by plane), but it is preferable to plan 2days in Cusco at first, or go to the sacred valley (lower altitude). If you plan to go to Pun afterwards, don't forget that it's even higher, if you get used to the altitude in Cusco, continue with coca tea, leaves and candies, and you will be fine!
Last piece of advice, if you do a trek especially in the Cordillera blanca region (Huaraz etc.) don(t climb more than 300 to 500 meters per day, and it's actually better to do down a bit at the end of the day before sleeping (to avoid headache !)
Saludos,

South American Explorers,
956 Enrique Palacios,
Miraflores,
Lima 18.
Tel: 01 447 7731

http://www.saexplorers.org

Open: Mon-Fri: 0930 – 1700 (Weds: 2000); Sat: 0930 - 1300
Suzanne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Suzanne » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:14 pm

I have been over Ticlio pass (nearly 5000 metres) many times and have experimented with different preventative measures for soroche.

By far the best I have found is acetazolamide (Diamox), coupled with drinking copious quantities of water. I no longer have horrific headaches or nausea.

This webpage has information about acetazolamide, altitude sickness and its prevention: traveldoctor.co.uk/altitude.htm

Of course you need to make sure a doctor would advise you not to take the medicine for some reason, you are not allergic to it etc. Taking it at sea level for a trial run, as suggested in the webpage, seems a sensible idea to me.
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby stuart » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:27 am

The easiest and cheapest way to avoid altitude sickness is to breathe better. If you are sitting, breathe like you are talking a brisk walk. If you are walking, breathe like you were running. The only problem with this is remembering it because as soon as you get distracted you forget and start breathing normally again.

It's quite simple - get the same amount of oxygen into your blood as you would have at sea level and you will be fine. Not concoction of drugs is going to help you do that.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:08 pm

Mate de Coca helps against altitude sickness.

I often make it.

Put sugar and coca leaves in a jar, poor boiled water over it and add lemon juice. And let it stand for 15 minutes. I always add a few mint leaves to it too. It can be drunk both cold or hot.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register