Migraine Medications

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
PeruFan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Migraine Medications

Postby PeruFan » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:46 pm

Hello All,

I have recently had trouble finding Sumatriptan (also called Imigran, Imitrex) here in Lima. I have checked with a dozen pharmacies and they all say "es agotado." Anybody else having a similar problem? Any suggestions where this medication can be found. I usually take a low dose of only 25 mg, but now need 50 mg. I can't find it in any presentation.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Kelly

Re: Migraine Medications

Postby Kelly » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:07 pm

I haven't needed it in about a year, so don't know - have you asked if they have the 100mg available?
PeruFan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby PeruFan » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:11 pm

Actually Kelly I have asked for the 100 as well. They have none. Apparently it is not being shipped to Peru at all right now. Each farmacia has told me that they've been out for more than a month. I may have to have some shipped down from the states. Gives me a headache thinking about it... :cry:
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:45 pm

I certainly feel your pain -

The only non-prescription medicine that has worked for me at all is Excedrin extra strength, but that's only about 50% effective for me.
Jcpsa

Postby Jcpsa » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:39 pm

You should give Midrin a try. It's isometheptine, dichloralphenazone, and acetaminophen. It's an old school med but a lot of people are turning back to it, especially if your migraine is vascular (throbbing). Take one or two capsules at aurora, or as soon as possible. The dichloralphenazone will knock you out for about 1 to 2 hours while the vasoconstrictor (isometheptine) takes action. You will wake up refreshed and ready for anything.

Check for contradictions with any other health conditions or medical conditions you might have. It come in many generic equivalents. I have had migraines since I was eight. I tried all of the new things like Imitrex, but stuck with Midrin as it always works, great for hangovers as well, immediate recovery.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register