Looking for Information on Living in Peru

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
Fliacruz

Looking for Information on Living in Peru

Postby Fliacruz » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:39 pm

i am a Uruguayan woman who has plans to move to lima for an offer I received from my work. I'm married, no children and want to know how much truth is there in insecurity, and social differences in traffic they say is fierce, and good to tell me if it really is good to take the risk of moving or maybe I stay in Uruguay.
Thanks for your help!

captsirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Looking for Information on Living in Peru

Postby captsirl » Tue May 01, 2012 6:13 pm

OH Please do your self the biggest favor you could ever do for your self.
You have a job opportunity in a new part of the world. So you get to explore and get paid.
You will never regret it whether you like the experience or not.
This is just one more big city and on Western Standard very safe. Use your street sense and you will have little to no problem.
So come on over live learn and if and when you leave you will get an education from it in the end.
Look forward to seeing you soon.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue May 01, 2012 10:43 pm

Prices are much lower than in Uruguay.

Most people in Lima are very poor.

Lima is a very congested city and dirty.
It's very unlikely that you will be a victim of a violent crime but theft is very common.

Regarding to traffic. Traffic is very dangerous. Drivers don't stop at pedestrian crossings. Traffic signals aren't respected. Most buses and taxis are in a very dangerous condition. (apart from El Metropolitana and Linea 1)
Hit and run accidents are very common.

If I had the choice, I would prefer to live in Montevideo.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Tue May 01, 2012 10:53 pm

Chi Chi are you sick?

You are sounding too reasonable.
:D
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Wed May 02, 2012 5:30 pm

Lima is a fantastic place to live! Take the opportunity and try it out. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it has many benefits and life is good if you have a reasonable salary. There's always lots to do and most things are within easy walking distance or if not, it's a short (and very cheap) bus or taxi ride.

Lima is great and has seen a LOT of investment in the last 10 years, making beautiful parks, many attractions, keeping streets clean and safe and investing in infrastructure. The economy is booming and the country is doing well.

You've nothing to lose by coming and giving it a try.
VicManu

Postby VicManu » Wed May 02, 2012 11:28 pm

Lima is not the safest city of latianmerica neither the unsafe city of latinamerica.
There are few latinamerican and spaniards living in this country mostly in Lima and many of them are still coming.
there are some dangerous places like most of the cities of the world but you don't need to go there . Get information about the safest places of this city and rent a house or an apartment over there. Lima have some places to have fun at least two uruguayan restaurants, a lot of parrilla argentinean restaurants, art galleries, pubs, theaters, etc.
If you have doubts about this city get information with them or just stay in your country.
These are the uruguayan restaurants :
http://elcharrua.com/
And the other restaurant is El Parrillon
His owner is Pablo Profumo
Av. 28 de Julio N° 795 - 799 - MIRAFLORES
(Esquina con Grimaldo del Solar) Contacto
(51-1) 4453061,(51-1) 7195355 E-mail
[email protected]

this girl is Mercedes Cardoso an uruguayan televison host working in Peru for at least 4 years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEON8jaO ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKy0SgIM ... ure=relmfu
Drake
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Drake » Fri May 04, 2012 6:54 pm

Horrible sandbox with lots of contimination and way too much people and not mentioning the cocarachas. But if you like living in the ghetto you´ll love lima.
I recommend europe, US or Canada if you want to live a quality city life. But if you like countryside, Peru has lot to offer :)
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Fri May 04, 2012 8:40 pm

Drake wrote:Horrible sandbox with lots of contimination and way too much people and not mentioning the cocarachas. But if you like living in the ghetto you´ll love lima.
I recommend europe, US or Canada if you want to live a quality city life. But if you like countryside, Peru has lot to offer :)

:lol:
Last edited by MarcoPE on Sat May 05, 2012 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Fri May 04, 2012 9:00 pm

I am currently shopping for a house with farmland in the US. The average price that
I am being quoted is $ 50,000 (fifty thousand) with a minimum of 10 acres of land.
The house size is 1200 square feet with a detached garage. The house has its
own well and I am receiving training to make it solar powered. If I would like to
take advantage of the situation I could quit my job and make the government
finance the house for me. (It can be done if you follow the law, and I have seen
many people in the US do this). Still this is a great bargain. You get land, clean air,
free water, energy independence to a degree.

I sincerely do not understand why people would invest $100,000 or more in Peru
with all the downsides of the country. While there is certain investments that
are worthwhile. Houses in certain areas are not. I have witnessed personally
several developments that have been bought fully by foreigners in order to
flip the properties. Still we will just have to wait and see.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri May 04, 2012 10:57 pm

Drake wrote:Horrible sandbox with lots of contimination and way too much people and not mentioning the cocarachas. But if you like living in the ghetto you´ll love lima.
But if you like countryside, Peru has lot to offer :)

If you go to Lima, then expect worst case scenario. Go to La Selva and expect paradise.

Drake wrote:I recommend europe, US or Canada if you want to live a quality city life.

Europe or US??? Unemployment rates are skyhigh. (In Spain, the unemployment rate is over 25%)
Crime is rising. Record numbers of companies go bust.
So many people lose their homes and become homeless.
Fliacruz

Postby Fliacruz » Sat May 05, 2012 5:48 pm

Thank you very much for having answered. Taking some more of your time I would ask several things, understanding that your views are personal and not absolute truths...
I would like to know your opinion on:
- Where is better to live in San Isidro, Miraflores, San Borja or Barranco? We have a sheep german dog, then we should have a patio, terrace or similar.
- On the other hand, how much is a good salary to live well in lima? understanding that this includes food, expenses (electricity, water, telephone, internet, cable), domestic service, rent, transport, etc.?
- It is advisable to buy car? or take a taxi? I would work in San Isidro, and am considering living neighborhoods are those mentioned above.
- How are Peruvian people in general? I have heard different versions ...
Really important to me, about rent... I need a warranty? In Uruguay without a guarantee of property or an agreement with the state is not possible to rent... how is peru?
- It is advisable to rent a furnished apartment? or is it better to buy everything from zero there?
- It is an issue the make the dilligence about residency papers? if my company hires me there, they will make the arrangements? Or Should I do? is easy to get the papers?
- There Is anything else you think I should know?
Thanks again, everyone is helping me to make the decision a little easier ...
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue May 08, 2012 2:54 am

San Isidro, Miraflores, Barranco are very very expensive to live. Also rates for electricity and water are very high in those areas. San Miguel and Magdalena Del Mar are very nice neighbourhoods and you can travel by bus to San Isidro in around 20 minutes.

Furnished appartments are more expensive and hard to find.
Furniture can be bought at democratic prices at the factory shops in Villa El Salvador.

Renting is easy in Peru. Most landlords want 1 months rent in advance and 1 month deposit. And most landlords want a 6 months or more common a 1 year contract. Never pay the advertised price, you can easily haggle for a lower rate.

For an idea on rental rates, look at www.elcomercio.pe or www.adondevivir.com

Driving a car in Peru is very expensive. Most people take the bus. Carcrime is very common.

Almost all Peruvians buy their food at the markets. It's fresher and far more cheaper than in supermarkets.

Peruvian people are very friendly and helpfull. They have a lot of respect for foreigners.
richiecry
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby richiecry » Tue May 08, 2012 10:23 am

Falcon...quality of life is such a subjective thing. I live in Toronto...probably one of the safest big citys in the world. It is clean, mostly crime free (though for some reason bike thefts are or used to be high) and is still undergoing a housing boom which was not slowed down by a recession in Europe or the USA. I love Toronto....but for me, the quality of life isn't about all those things I wrote about. There is an engagement of the people in Lima which I have, frankly, not seen anywhere else. I am 41...have been throughout a lot of Latin America and Europe and this "engagement or connected feeling" I get from Peru (and Lima) is why I will be moving there. I am not married nor in a long term relationship (was in one for 8 years which ended recently) so perhaps my reality is very different from yours...and perhaps my reality will change once I have lived in Lima. I will say though...that when I talk to Peruvians that have moved to North America for a "better" life....they ALL tell me they miss the connectedness of the people in Lima. It is a special place. For the original writer---I have not been to Uruguay so I unfortunately cannot compare your country or your city with Peru/Lima....Good Luck with everything!
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Tue May 08, 2012 12:07 pm

I would recommend Miraflores, it really is a great place! Yes it can be expensive but it would be worth it as theres so much to do there! You´ve mentioned how you also have a dog, and well altho the parks inland in Miraflores are very small there is more than enough green areas and parks along the coast line from Larco Mar shopping center to well past the light house. Walking from Larco Mar to parks beyond the tennis courts by the lighthouse and back, would easily get you a hour and a halfs walk i´m guessing.

If your working in San Isidro then Miraflores is only a 5 minute drive down the Avenue Republica motorway as well, time might be added on getting stuck in traffic in Miraflores but its not that bad compared to other places in Lima i think. Its only about 8 minutes to get from Park Kennedy to the Republica at the busiest of times and i don´t think the trip should take longer than 20 to 30 minutes max. Miraflores is also very safe due to it being a highly tourist area. Theres plenty of things in the area like restaurants and cafes. Also tennis clubs and cinemas.
Andrey

Postby Andrey » Wed May 30, 2012 9:34 am

Let me join into this topic.

I'm Russian and have job offer for Peru. On Russian expat sites I've read lots of shocking stories about extremely high level of crime, frequent cases of kidnapping and so on. It is really frightening because I can't say that Russia is calm place, but crime level at peru shocks even Russians.

Is that true?
captsirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captsirl » Wed May 30, 2012 3:59 pm

Most of it is over dramatized. It takes far more common scene to stay safe in the USA than here. Its just another big city in the world and for the most part people here are far more passive than westerners. Just keep an eye open. Come here to Peru. Take the Job offer. And remember if you don't like it you can always go back.
Plenty of people in this form will bend over backwards to help you.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed May 30, 2012 4:35 pm

Lima is a city with over 10 million people. So, it´s normal that there is more crime than in other places.

The chance that you become a victim of a violent crime is very small in Peru. Theft and pickpocketing happens a lot in tourist areas like Miraflores and Barranco. But you can avoid that by watching your things and don´t stick your wallet in your backpocket and let expensive jewellry and cameras and watches dangling on your body in sight.
If thiefs see nothing interesting to steal then they won´t steal.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Wed May 30, 2012 5:35 pm

True there is violence and kidnapping, but the criminals look for the people with a considerable
net worth. If they see you taking a combi, without a car, renting an apartment. The criminals
will not see it proper to even waste a bullet in that person. But if you come to Lima, and buy
an SUV cash and start driving it everyday all around the city, you are asking for it.
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Wed May 30, 2012 8:28 pm

Andrey wrote:I'm Russian and have job offer for Peru. On Russian expat sites I've read lots of shocking stories about extremely high level of crime, frequent cases of kidnapping and so on. It is really frightening because I can't say that Russia is calm place, but crime level at peru shocks even Russians.

Is that true?

:lol: :lol: :lol: When I moved to Russia a few years back, I heard exactly these same shocking horror stories about it. I was frightened to death. But once there it wasn't that bad at all. But when I compare now St. Petersburg and Moskow with Lima, I have the feeling that you are safer in Peru than Russia. Follow a few simple rules and you should be absolutely fine.

Here http://www.limaeasy.com/lima_info/safet ... a_peru.php an article I wrote a while back about the topic. It's aimed at tourist, but lots of observations and advice in there is good for new residents as well
captsirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captsirl » Wed May 30, 2012 8:47 pm

Good for you Sunflower.
People talk like they never lived near a city before.
One thing about living here in Lima is how safe it really is.
We used to run a pool every week. If you guest the correct amount of murders in West Riviera Beach you won.
curlyguy18
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby curlyguy18 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:10 pm

captsirl wrote:Most of it is over dramatized. It takes far more common scene to stay safe in the USA than here. Its just another big city in the world and for the most part people here are far more passive than westerners. Just keep an eye open. Come here to Peru. Take the Job offer. And remember if you don't like it you can always go back.
Plenty of people in this form will bend over backwards to help you.

Well said. It takes common sense to live in a city this big. Of course there is crime, just like everywhere else and sadly it is not very clean, but then again, it's not that bad. Plus, as a Uruguayan, you probably won't stand out as much as an American or a European. And of course, if you don't like it, you can always go back home!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:51 pm

curlyguy18 wrote:Plus, as a Uruguayan, you probably won't stand out as much as an American or a European.

When I was in Uruguay, I didn´t stand out. Most people in Uruguay look like Europeans.
irishdave2007

Postby irishdave2007 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:50 pm

Hi everyone.

I am from Northern Ireland and I have been considering Peru for some time.

I would appreciate advice from some of you guys who are able to give me some advice.

Firstly, I am looking for teaching work in Peru. What are my chances? Where should I look? Any job seeking advice is welcome. - I am a qualified Secondary School teacher and versatile.

I have been getting friendly with a girl who I would like to visit. Shs is a friend of a friend. She lives in Callao and has offered to let me stay at her house in Callao. Is Callao safe for an Irish gringo like me?

I would also like to do many other things when in Peru, e.g.. see Machu Picchu, Inca sites near Lima, do things within Lima, Cuczo, see the Amazonas, see the Andes, and generally enjoy Lima and a few surrounding places.

Could you give me a rough idea of how much a month in Peru would cost to do all of these things? e.g. how much for Cuczo, Machu Picchu, nightlife in Lima, getting around, eating out.

I am considering going for a month - mid November to Mid December. I have chosen these times specifically because I want to go to a friends wedding in Lima at the end of November and my 30th birthday lands in Nov.

Thank you everyone
David
VicManu

Postby VicManu » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:14 pm

irishdave2007 wrote:
I have been getting friendly with a girl who I would like to visit. Shs is a friend of a friend. She lives in Callao and has offered to let me stay at her house in Callao. Is Callao safe for an Irish gringo like me?

I would also like to do many other things when in Peru, e.g.. see Machu Picchu, Inca sites near Lima, do things within Lima, Cuczo, see the Amazonas, see the Andes, and generally enjoy Lima and a few surrounding places.

Could you give me a rough idea of how much a month in Peru would cost to do all of these things? e.g. how much for Cuczo, Machu Picchu, nightlife in Lima, getting around, eating out.

Callao is not safe a lot of crimes happen over there. The only safe place in Callao is La Punta.

If you want to party and go to Cuzco and the rainforest you could spend about 1600 u.s. dollars only for You and more than 2000 u.s. dollars for two.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register