Vonage or How to keep a US Tel Number in Peru

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Peludo

Vonage or How to keep a US Tel Number in Peru

Postby Peludo » Thu May 03, 2012 8:05 am

Hi Everyone,
In the aftermath of the earthquake in Ica, I remember seeing an expat being interviewed on the news using a Vonage phone connection while the rest of the area was without any telephone connectivity. This made me think that Vonage would be a good option for me to use when we move to Peru.

While I don't have a job lined up, one option is to work for a US based employer/client. I want them to be able to use a US telephone number to contact me so as not to incur international phone fees or not understand how to dial internationally from the US. Has anyone else used Vonage, Magic Jack or any other service. I use Skype but I've never had anyone call me on Skype from a landline.

Does anyone have any thoughts to share on this?

Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Vonage or How to keep a US Tel Number in Peru

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Thu May 03, 2012 8:39 am

There are tons of options for VOIP. I choose Vonage because it's simple and pretty inexpensive. I have the cheapest plan which comes to like $17.99/month including all taxes/fees. I telecommute and engage in teleconferences with clients some of whom know I am in Peru and some of whom do not. For me Vonage is the most professional option. I tried Skype In/Out but I hated it. The payment system is annoying, the caller ID inconsistent and the call quality for me was wildly inconsistent. Also, I hate needing a computer to talk on the phone. I also have used Magic Jack and while better than Skype it was pretty inconsistent as well in terms of call quality. That's just my experience. I've been living in Peru working telecommute for various US clients as a software developer for more than 6 years now. I was without Vonage for about a year of that time trying various alternatives but ultimately the professionalism and consistent call quality of Vonage brought me back. I'd say my major problem with Vonage is their "Vonage Extensions" which lets you extend your line to a mobile device does not work outside the US/Canada and the Vonage Companion (soft phone) does not work well on a Mac (I have never tried the PC version to compare). Ultimately, Vonage is probably the most costly option but it's well worth it for a business. It's also tax deductible :)
amigorick

Postby amigorick » Thu May 03, 2012 9:38 am

I use Skype. I pay 2.99 US monthly and extra for actual US phone number with voicemail (can't remember what I pay for that), but I totally agree with Arroz con Pollo - quality of calls vary a lot. I thought it was maybe related to our slow internet speeds in Iquitos (I use a fourth generation iPod Touch with wi-fi). Call quality seems best in the mornings. If I want to call in the evenings I use a Movistar calling card with our landline phone with excellent call quality. I think I get about an hour and a half when calling the US with a S/. 10 card.
captsirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captsirl » Thu May 03, 2012 10:07 am

I think my Skipe is 12.99 total unlimited calls to the USA and Canada and my number has been the same for 4 years with no problems. Love it Love it Love it. I have other VOIP phone Like X-Lite for the switchboard and I hate it and so does all the customers / lol / But that's for 50 phone numbers. Haven't had much luck with any of the others and I think I have tried them all . So SKYPE gets my vote
amigorick

Postby amigorick » Thu May 03, 2012 1:04 pm

Skype is definitely a good deal. The times that I've called the US when I'm in Lima I had no problems, but here in Iquitos the internet is super slow and affects call quality. I pay 2.99 US/month with unlimited US calls. I chose a Skype number with a California area code so all of my calls from Perú to the US are included in the $2.99. (I set up my acct and number while in the US - you might not be able to select a US Skype number while outside the US; choices of numbers and plans might be limited based on your IP address). I hope Iquitos gets decent Internet speeds soon!
captsirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captsirl » Thu May 03, 2012 3:10 pm

You can pick a number from any location your at. They don't seem to care
RICHARDandNORA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby RICHARDandNORA » Thu May 03, 2012 4:32 pm

I have used Magic Jack for many years in Lima. The quality and dependability is a function of internet speed. It comes with a US number from any location of your choice and free voice mail. The rate is a little less than $20 per year. They now offer a unit called Magic Jack Plus that does not need a computer. It has worked very well for me.
PeruFan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby PeruFan » Thu May 03, 2012 5:48 pm

I use a company called Teleblend. We have used them here in Peru for about 6 or 7 years. The quality is great and people can't believe that it is a VOIP connection. We pay $15.30 per month for unlimited calls to the US. They also have a plan for about the same price that gives you free calls to many countries, including Peru. (not cellular phones of course.)

After the big quake in 2007 our VOIP phone started working MUCH sooner than the landline phone. Ours ALWAYS works. Very pleased. Plus it is nice for family to call here like a local call.
ydelsanto08
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby ydelsanto08 » Thu May 03, 2012 10:12 pm

I use Callcentric an all you have to do is pay a monthly fee of 4 buckish and then you pay only for outgoing calls. its 2 cents a minute and free for incoming calls. I f you go crazy you can buy a unlimted plan like Vonage. It also gives other the options of getting a callcentric number and you both can call each other for free. You can have it hardwired like a phone or also on your computer for when you travel. I love and it's chaeper than Vonage and without all the fees. Don't use it for a month and only pay the 4 dollar fee. It's a good deal.

http://www.callcentric.com/rate_plans01.php
Scottperu411
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Scottperu411 » Fri May 04, 2012 12:42 am

Magic jack seems to work good for us. While we live in Canada, my friend Meras family all have magic jacks. Her mom has a cordless phone I sent (new power adapter required for Peru) so they are not tied to the computer. She can walk around the house and do anything. We paid for the Canadian number so Mera can call all she wants for free. And trust me, she does. Lol. She uses Skype a little bit to call mobiles. But that's it.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register