Tarapoto

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
redrum
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tarapoto

Postby redrum » Wed May 16, 2012 12:54 pm

Just returned from a 3 day trip to Tarapoto. By far the worst place that I have visited in Peru. And I have visted Ica, Nazca, Pisco, Chinca, Canete, Ilo, Matarani, Arequipa, Tacna, Cuzco, Piura, and Tumbes. There is NON STOP noise from the millions of motor bikes / motor taxis all day and all night. Prices were a little cheaper than Lima, but I would rather have the serenity of Lima than pay 5 soles less for a pisco sour. Returning to Lima (even Callao) felt like the most peaceful place in the world.

calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tarapoto

Postby calygirl » Wed May 16, 2012 2:50 pm

This is very surprising to me. Tarapoto would be one of the places I would like to return. I enjoyed it there very much. Did you get a chance to get out of the city proper and go to some of more remote places? Did you get to Lago Azul? Some of the hikes I took out in the countryside still stay in my memory, the beautiful waterfalls, the scenery. I do agree that there are many moto bikes in the city proper, but I didn't spend too much time there. Sorry you didn't enjoy your trip.
Pollo mani
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Pollo mani » Wed May 16, 2012 3:04 pm

I have been thinking of visiting Tarapoto some time in the near future. If you didn't like it there because of the moto's you would not like Iquitos much. But if you just get away from the city centers and out in the jungle, I am sure you would enjoy more of what the area has to offer. Like In Iquitos taking a 2 hour boat ride to an eco lodge is wonderful, peaceful, relaxing.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed May 16, 2012 4:40 pm

I too am surprised. Tarapoto is a wonderful place to visit because it is on the border between selva and sierra, and hence double the variety of flora and fauna. Go visit the jungle one day for the vegetation, laguna and indigenous folks, (where else can you find a geothermal spring under a lake?) then the next go to the mountains for the orchids, waterfalls, hot springs, two different environments. Lamas, los chankas, the castle of that rich coffee guy. (Where else can you find houses without windows so the bad spirits cannot enter at night?)

Sure I guess it is noisy with the motos, but not mid-day everyone is hiding out in the shade and when the motos covered with cardboard. In the evening, sure, but at night? No. It certainly doesn't have the bustle of Callao, more laid back really. In town, the museum, the cigar factory, and some very nice restaurants. There is a great hotel with the ambiance of the jungle right in town and a nice resort nearby. Peacefull.

End of my Prom Peru promo maau
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Wed May 16, 2012 5:03 pm

It didn't tickle my fancy, either.

There is so little jungle, no animals and most of the green area that used to be jungle now has cows on it - or nothing at all as it is completely exhausted land. I only saw vast amounts of cleared land on my way to Laguna Azul.

On the other hand, I had previously visited Manu which is pure and lush forest. Maybe I expected too much of Tarapoto. But, I thought there might at least be some lush areas left and monkeys in the trees or something. I must go back and see the real Tarapoto and the waterfalls, large houses with pools for S/.20k (with or without turtles), Chi Chi and all the other attractions in the area :)
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed May 16, 2012 10:05 pm

Downtown Tarapoto is very commercial and thus busy.
Motorbikes are the main way of transportation. Every one has one.

If you go to downtown Tarapoto between 12 and 3pm then you won't see anyone as all businesses close during this times. On Sundays, the city is very quiet too as most places are closed.
nreber
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby nreber » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:50 pm

I need a legit Tarapoto travel company to give tours of villages, waterfalls, hot springs, all there is to do outside of the city. The two web sites I've tried from my Lonely Planet suggestions have been terminated.

I've just made reservations for a hostal beside the city square for three nights. Should I stay there one night and move to a jungle place the next few nights?

Any other suggestions of what to do in/around Tarapoto? I was thinking to also go to Lamas, and, because I have a whole week, to go into Kuepo.

Details of your past experiences are welcome.

Cheers,
Nichole
'If the wind will not serve, take to the oars.'
[email protected]
www.ArchitectureTravelWriter.com
scribed.com/ArchitectureWriter or Nichole L. Reber
twitter.com/nreber
facebook/Nichole L. Reber
Skype ID/NicholeLReber
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:36 pm

nreber wrote:I need a legit Tarapoto travel company to give tours of villages, waterfalls, hot springs, all there is to do outside of the city. The two web sites I've tried from my Lonely Planet suggestions have been terminated.

I've just made reservations for a hostal beside the city square for three nights. Should I stay there one night and move to a jungle place the next few nights?

Any other suggestions of what to do in/around Tarapoto? I was thinking to also go to Lamas, and, because I have a whole week, to go into Kuepo.

Details of your past experiences are welcome.

Cheers,
Nichole

At Jr. Alegria De Morey (one cuadra from La Plaza) there are several tour companies that offer trips to many places. The can arrange for you transportation and accomodation.

Lamas is a very small village about 25 minutes by motorbike from Tarapoto. As it's higher, it's a bit cooler.
The most famous about Lamas is the Castle. It's owned by Italian Nicole Felice. It's looks like a medieval castle but has only been completed recently. You can visit the Castle for 5 soles. It's has a nice refrigerio as well.

A must do is eating pinapple in Lamas. There are several pineapple bars.
nreber
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby nreber » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:16 pm

Thanks for the input. Looks like Tarapoto for two nights rather, then move on to Kuelap.
'If the wind will not serve, take to the oars.'
[email protected]
www.ArchitectureTravelWriter.com
scribed.com/ArchitectureWriter or Nichole L. Reber
twitter.com/nreber
facebook/Nichole L. Reber
Skype ID/NicholeLReber
miaperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby miaperu » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:34 am

I thought Tarapoto was pretty good for a jungle town, some of the forest on the way to Yurimaguas was wild, but must agree, that most has been felled. But for a good night out at Anaconda's cannot be beaten with a cold Crystal at the end of a hot day!!!!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:43 pm

miaperu wrote: But for a good night out at Anaconda's cannot be beaten with a cold Crystal at the end of a hot day!!!!

Everybody likes the Anaconda. Probably the best nightclub in Peru. Riverview from the dancefloor and anfitrionas in mini-skirt.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register