TEFL online course

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
Elizabeth23

TEFL online course

Postby Elizabeth23 » Wed May 23, 2012 11:40 am

Does anyone have any suggestions for good online TEFL courses to take? I know that taking a course on-site in an actual classroom is better, but at the moment I don't have the time/money. I also know that you don't necessarily need a TEFL certificate to teach in Lima, but I've decided that I want one.

There are too many options - it gets confusing! I want to take an legitimate, accredited course. Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks!

Stotler1960

Re: TEFL online course

Postby Stotler1960 » Thu May 24, 2012 6:59 am

Have you considered going down to Arequipa? They have a course at TEFL Peru.
douglas8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby douglas8 » Thu May 24, 2012 4:04 pm

in broad strokes..online tefl will NOT be considered well by good schools for obvious reasons...and the schools that will accept it would probably accept you without it..thus my 2 cents, if it has to be online instead of real life then don't bother.
captsirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captsirl » Thu May 24, 2012 4:37 pm

I know several Teachers from ICPNA 2 don't even have High School Diplomas and once you get a job there you have to pass the Berlitz test. I think they have good jobs.
micatjl
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby micatjl » Fri May 25, 2012 9:22 am

I agree with Douglas8, when i was looking into getting my tefl it definitely seemed that no respected school would accept on online cert, the schools that would accept you probably would do so without one.
I have heard of a school in Arequipa that you can work and get you tefl at the same time though it does seem to change depending on whether they need teachers at the time of course.
curlyguy18
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby curlyguy18 » Mon May 28, 2012 10:12 pm

captsirl wrote:I know several Teachers from ICPNA 2 don't even have High School Diplomas and once you get a job there you have to pass the Berlitz test. I think they have good jobs.

Are you sure they do not have High School diplomas??? I've heard that in order to work at Icpna you have to have at least a High School Diploma and have a CE if you're not Peruvian.

As far as an online TEFL course or even a real life for that matter would be good for you in the sense that it'll give you an idea of what it's like to teach English. It may not increase your chances of landing a job or being paid more as a lot of these institutes will pretty much hire anyone that can speak the language (especially natives as often times students like to be taught by natives, even if they can't spell or speak properly)
captsirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captsirl » Mon May 28, 2012 10:31 pm

You heard wrong, Or they will buy any BS written on a CV
MartitaAQP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MartitaAQP » Tue May 29, 2012 8:47 pm

FUNIBUR though the Universidad de Piura offers a respected international online TEFL program. I seem to recall most of their programs require a previous Bachelor degree though since they are mostly Masters level. In Arequipa at CCPNA they will hire you and then require you to simultaneously to the resident ELT course through Thomas Jefferson Institute if you don't already have a tefl cert. The number of credit hours is always important.

Martha

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register