Looking for apartment up to 600 USD

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
kuranaga
Silver Member
Silver Member

Looking for apartment up to 600 USD

Postby kuranaga » Fri May 25, 2012 10:19 am

Hi people,

looking for apartment to rent in the price range ~600 USD, for two people, washing machine is a must, Internet a plus. Not need to be Miraflores - but something safe, preferably Surco, Surquilo, Chorillos coast... (anything between Miraflores and Chorillos) contract for one year.

send any offers by board mail. thanks.

chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Looking for apartment up to 600 USD

Postby chi chi » Sun May 27, 2012 5:14 am

www.elcomercio.pe

On Sundays, buy the paper and you will find 100's of ads.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun May 27, 2012 4:47 pm

For $600, you can find a very nice place in Lima.

If you are intending to stay long term then it will work out cheaper to rent an unfurnished place and buy furniture and sell it once you leave.

In Chorillos, there are a lot of new condominiums where you can rent appartments.

For furniture, Villa El Salvador is the place to go. New quality furniture at factory prices. If you don't find it in V.E.S, you will find it nowhere.
kuranaga
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby kuranaga » Mon May 28, 2012 4:15 am

chi chi wrote:For $600, you can find a very nice place in Lima.

yes I suppose... however in most of the ads they ask much more than 600... maybe they ask 1000 but mean 500? Just trying to figure out....

The vast majority of the offers in 'good' areas (like close to the coast) are in the range 1000 and up... too expensive!

Renting an unfurnished apartment is not really an option... while I believe you that it is not expensive to buy the furnitures, but searching for them, bringing them, etc etc it takes too much time... a semi-furnished might be an option (so you have to bring only few things maybe like the beds and few more things...), but there are not so many offers for semi-furnished flats :S
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Mon May 28, 2012 10:09 am

kuranaga wrote:

yes I suppose... however in most of the ads they ask much more than 600... maybe they ask 1000 but mean 500? Just trying to figure out....

The vast majority of the offers in 'good' areas (like close to the coast) are in the range 1000 and up... too expensive!

Renting an unfurnished apartment is not really an option... while I believe you that it is not expensive to buy the furnitures, but searching for them, bringing them, etc etc it takes too much time... a semi-furnished might be an option (so you have to bring only few things maybe like the beds and few more things...), but there are not so many offers for semi-furnished flats :S

it's because you're looking at Gringo Tax websites. however, rates keep going up, so it's not like the good ol days that some folks might be basing their figures off of. the best thing is if you know someone here, is to check the lima newspaper El Comercio and have the local go around with you helping you find a place. many of the apartments, including fully furnished ones, will be at local rates, you'll save yourself at least a good 2-400 bucks a month that way (or more).

i pay 680 (rent went up from 600 even last year) for a one bedroom in a super nice, brand new building with every amenity you can think of. price includes cable too. the furniture is all brand new, big flat screen tv, dvd, etc etc. and that's because i got lazy and kept having problems coordinating with my friend who helped me get my last place, and i found this place on craigslist, but from honorable owners who are only overcharging a little bit for it. if i went the el comercio route i would have found a much better deal
Skipper Dan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Skipper Dan » Mon May 28, 2012 6:03 pm

I have a whole house you could rent I still have some of the furniture in it. It is three story 24 hr security plus has gate for entrance to the street. It is only blocks from the new Real Plaza in Surco. Metripolitano as well as a couple of other nice buses run the route within blocks. We moved to Monterrico to be closer to daughters school but do not want to sell the house just yet. We have it now for $1000.00 but I am looking to get a respectable renter in it for a while until I have more time to figure things out.

Dan
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue May 29, 2012 3:35 pm

kuranaga wrote:

Here are some ads that might interest you. Also remember rents are easily negotiated. Landlords think that foreigners have money so they will be able to pay the rent and pay the rent punctual. So, they prefer to rent it out to a foreigner at a lower rate, rather than taking the risk to rent it out at a local.

http://urbania.clasificados.pe/alquiler ... asta-500-1

http://urbania.clasificados.pe/alquiler ... asta-500-1

Buying furniture isn´t a hassle and doesn´t take too much time. Searching for furniture?
Go to the zona industrial in Villa El Salvador and you find 100´s of furniture shops and they can all arrange transport. And when you leave Peru, then put your things up for sale here at expatperu.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Looking for apartment up to 800 USD

Postby Philipc4u59 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:12 am

I am a retired teacher from USA; just married the woman of my dreams & live in Lima. We seek a larger apartment in the San Borja area as close to her employment; 3 bedrooms, 2 baths - max. $800. We would appreciate any information ASAP as her lease expires on July 01, 2012; real estate agents/listing services are welcome. We will pay a finder's fee for the right situation.

Also, I am seeking positions to utilize my ability to teach English to professionals & my previous business/consulting experience. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated; I permit my information to be forwarded to other professionals & companies that may have a need of same. Gracias!

51-1-620-4395; Philip C. Brown
Philip C. & Rosmery L. Brown
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:04 pm

UPDATE!

We found a nice apartment in Surquillo; certainly not Miraflores or San Isidro, but acceptable.
I still seek employment as an English teacher; I have a BS degree in edsucation from an American University.

Muchas gracias,
Philip C. Brown
[email protected]
271-3849
JanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JanD » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:56 pm

How many bedrooms, etc. and which amenities?
Is it furnished?
Tks for the update!
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:05 pm

We found a 3 bedroom, 2 bath unfurnished apartment in Surquillo; 3 blocks from Plaza Vea for $650 - no ammenities included. We are the central location for her extended family & the 2 patios are welcomed. I am disappointed with the "cheapness" of the builder; electrical outlets are few, was not wired for cable, water heater is set @ 160 degrees with no controls - first full month $150!!!

I try to save money by visiting the 3 super mercados for the weekly ofertas...

Thanks to everyone that replied.

Gracias,
Philip
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:34 pm

Philipc4u59 wrote:first full month $150!!!

That's what most people pay for a YEAR.

Philipc4u59 wrote:I try to save money by visiting the 3 super mercados for the weekly ofertas...

Don't buy food at supermarkets. Go to the markets that's where all Peruvians go. It much cheaper and much fresher.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:03 pm

As far as "markets"; where would you suggest? We don't have a car.
We live on Av. Principal; 3 blocks from Plaza Vea in Surquillo.
Thanks for your expertise & sharing in numerous posts on expatperu; your efforts are appreciated.

Would welcome the opportunity to meet you...

Gracias,
Philip
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:53 pm

Walk to the opposite end of Prinicpal (away from Plaza Vea) and cross the street - there is a market there.

Since the apartment question has been answerd, I'm going to go ahead and close this thread.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register