do apartments typically allow pet birds?

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
gojirasan

do apartments typically allow pet birds?

Postby gojirasan » Mon May 28, 2012 9:27 pm

Do Peruvian landlords typically allow pet birds? Here in the US it's pretty unusual for a landlord allow them. It won't be in Lima. It would probably be in Trujillo, Cajamarca, or Huamachuco. Just in case that makes a difference.

curlyguy18
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: do apartments typically allow pet birds?

Postby curlyguy18 » Mon May 28, 2012 9:42 pm

It really depends on the landlord. Some do and some don't, both in and outside Lima.
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimuazu » Tue May 29, 2012 11:15 am

Don't worry -- maybe they'll let you keep your chickens on the roof. (Not unheard of, honestly.)
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Tue May 29, 2012 12:25 pm

A lot of apartments have rules about pets, but I've found that they are a lot less strict here than they are in the US. if you can find a small house to rent instead of an apartment, you'll may have better luck - or at least that's been my experience.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue May 29, 2012 3:19 pm

jimuazu wrote:Don't worry -- maybe they'll let you keep your chickens on the roof. (Not unheard of, honestly.)

I´ve seen many dogs on the roof in Peru. Chickens not yet. But I have seen many houses in la Selva where the chickens just walk around in the living room.

Almost everyone has dogs and cats in the provinces so a landlord who doesn´t allow animals in his property will have a hard time finding a tenant.

So, birds won´t be a problem. Just make sure that the neighboors cat can´t get into your house to get hold of your birds.
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Tue May 29, 2012 5:10 pm

I have not known an apartment building or house to not allow pets. So many people have pets in Peru - the large majority - that it would be daft for landlords not to allow them. Probably you might have issues if the landlord is a foreigner who may be a bit more strict.

Personally, I wouldn't even mention it. Just rent a place and take your birds.
curlyguy18
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby curlyguy18 » Tue May 29, 2012 9:05 pm

I think I'd mention it just to avoid issues later on. Not all landlords allow pets.
CptnHk

Postby CptnHk » Wed May 30, 2012 2:12 am

If you're planning on breeding birds in a room then you might have some problems. If you are keeping a canary in an apartment then you don't even need to ask.

This is my take as a Peruvian: pets are four legged animals that can harm the apartment. Birds in a cage, fish in a bowl and reptiles in a terrarium do not break the rules.
curlyguy18
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby curlyguy18 » Wed May 30, 2012 10:35 am

Agreed. Anything that can cause damage to the apartment (a cat, a dog, etc) might be an issue and it's best to let a landlord know.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register