How much you pay for Cable TV?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

How much you pay for Cable TV?

Postby chi chi » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:56 pm

I just got an offerta from Direct TV.

99 soles a month, no connection fee and 30% off for the first 2 months.
They provide around 100 channels. The contract is 18 months.

The also have a cheaper option for 49 a month but it has only 12 channels. I know use my antenna and have 10. (for free) but the reception is not very good. Especially when one of those old american schoolbuses thunders through the street.

Kelly

Re: How much you pay for Cable TV?

Postby Kelly » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:00 pm

The cable portion of my Claro plan comes to about 83 soles, and that gives me 172 channels. When we signed up, we got the first 3 months at a 50% discount.
curranti
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby curranti » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:09 am

direct tv s/175 a month got bunch of channels dont remember the package. I like it because you push a language button and can go back and forth english or spanish. Its cool!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:28 pm

curranti wrote:direct tv s/175 a month got bunch of channels dont remember the package. I like it because you push a language button and can go back and forth english or spanish. Its cool!

Must be the 'oro' package.

The quote I got was for the 'plata' package.

The problem is that there are so many sport channels. I hate sport.
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:20 pm

We pay Movistar 199 a month for fast internet, phone with a pile of free minutes to landlines and 74 cable tv channels. I think it's way too much and we'll be changing in August when our contract expires.
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:49 pm

Can you change the language on your Movistar TV fro Spanish to English like you can with Direct TV? And did you have to buy the Movistar Decoder?
rideout

Postby rideout » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:35 pm

sunflower wrote:Can you change the language on your Movistar TV fro Spanish to English like you can with Direct TV? And did you have to buy the Movistar Decoder?

Yes, you can switch SOME of the channels to SAP (in the TV menu) and get in English (most of the time). Let me think.... SAP is available for TNT, FOX, NatGEO, TLC, Health & Discovery, and TCM as well as ESPN and some of the kids stations.

I do like DirectTV because there are a lot more stations available without the very awkward voice-overs.... I mean really....how can you have a movie with Sean Connery dubbed in Spanish?
Last edited by rideout on Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:36 pm

You can for any channel that comes with an English language track.

On Movistar, it's with the SAP button on your TV.

On Claro, there's a button on the remote control for the decoder box that you can use to change language.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:06 pm

im using claro at the minute and im happy with the channels and service but the one thing id love to have is to be able to change the commentary on the sports channels as its almost 100% spanish. Altho saying that we had a HD freeview for a few days and things like baseball and NBA were in English. How is the options for changing language on DirectTV??
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:19 pm

I finally opted for DirectTV. First two months 69 soles and then 99 soles a month.
Around 80 tv channels + 15 music channels.

With the decorder, I can also record things like a videorecorder. And the tv program is available on TV.

When installing the system the used white TV cables and not those ugly and very visible black ones.
Charlie33

Postby Charlie33 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:48 pm

Chi Chi,

I must say your the person who has a lot of answers to my questions as I prepare to move. Do you mind providing the contact information for Direct Tv in Lima? I was going to go with USTV on the internet, but I think it may be problematic as when I talk to my friends from Lima on Skype we often have lost calls or dropped calls. Also, the pricing sounds a lot more realistic than what USTV customer service people quoted me at last week. They wanted USD 169 a month plus a USD 175 set up fee for the premium DVR package which I would not choose anyways, because there are a lot of channels I don't watch, but it seemed very expensive to me.

Thanks!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:16 pm

Charlie33 wrote:Chi Chi,

I must say your the person who has a lot of answers to my questions as I prepare to move. Do you mind providing the contact information for Direct Tv in Lima? Thanks!

I don't have an adress for them. But they have a stand at the entrace at Tottus/Sodimac at Avenida La Marina in San Miguel. I signed my contract there. They also have a stand at Sagafalabella at Plaza San Miguel. They have all over Lima stands at shopping centers and often at the major supermarkets.

After signing the contract, they normally install the cable TV the next day. (unless it's a sunday, then they are closed. Also their stands)

Remember that as a foreigner, you need a permission to sign contracts to get the contract with them but that can be obtained on the spot at inmigraciones in Breña (Lima)
Charlie33

Postby Charlie33 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:46 pm

Cool and Thanks Again for the info. The first thing I'm going to do on the first day I arrive is go to the office in Brena my friend who is Peruvian is going to help me because he is 100 % bi-lingual while I am not. I copied and pasted into a word file all the good and helpful info I have learned from this site.

Thanks Again and hopefully after I lived there for awhile I can repay the favor by helping other people out in the future with their questions on this site.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:04 pm

Charlie33 wrote:Chi Chi,

I must say your the person who has a lot of answers to my questions as I prepare to move. Do you mind providing the contact information for Direct Tv in Lima? I was going to go with USTV on the internet, but I think it may be problematic as when I talk to my friends from Lima on Skype we often have lost calls or dropped calls. Also, the pricing sounds a lot more realistic than what USTV customer service people quoted me at last week. They wanted USD 169 a month plus a USD 175 set up fee for the premium DVR package which I would not choose anyways, because there are a lot of channels I don't watch, but it seemed very expensive to me.

Thanks!

If you're talking about USTVnow, that's a very different service than getting DirectTV, CableMagic or Claro - USTVnow shows live, real time television broadcast from the US, all in English (obviously), while the other three are local service providers that are mostly in Spanish and usually several weeks behind in their programming of US shows (if not complete seasons behind).

Not saying one is better than the other, just that it's comparing two very different services.

Also, the prices you quoted are their top of the line premium packages with DVR and a bunch of HBO, Showtime and HD channels. The standard package that includes 20+ channels is $29/month - and If you only want the 5 major networks, you can watch them for free.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:11 pm

Kelly wrote:If you're talking about USTVnow, that's a very different service than getting DirectTV, CableMagic or Claro - USTVnow shows live, real time television broadcast from the US, all in English (obviously), while the other three are local service providers that are mostly in Spanish and usually several weeks behind in their programming of US shows (if not complete seasons behind).

I still like watching McGyver, Dallas, Knight Rider, the A-team and especially my idols Beavis & Butthead.
They are cool. Huh huh, huh.
All those new series those days are so blussed out.
Charlie33

Postby Charlie33 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:43 pm

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for the additional info, I think the sales person for USTV Now, I was dealing with was just trying to "upsell" me on the most expensive package. I would never spend that kind of money for television a month.

I remember from a past post that they had less expensive packages so I was a little confused by the sales persons info. In a past post and I can't remember who mentioned it, but they said that there is a button on the Direct Tv remote control that let's you switch languages, I think that would really cool, especially at first because I do not consider myself fluent in Peruvian Spanish, yet.

Thanks Again!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:07 pm

Charlie33 wrote: but they said that there is a button on the Direct Tv remote control that let's you switch languages, I think that would really cool, especially at first because I do not consider myself fluent in Peruvian Spanish, yet.

Thanks Again!

It's beter not to switch languages. Keep it in Spanish so you will learn Spanish quicker.
crazytacoperu.com
Gold Member
Gold Member

I was able to get free cable

Postby crazytacoperu.com » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:46 pm

Ok, here is how I did it.

I called and ordered Internet from telefonica. They came and installed DSL and a telephone and asked if I had ordred cable TV. I said no. He said " do you want me to hook it up anyway?" I said "of course" (actually I said C)

He said "200 soles" . I said OK!

I was so happy that I FORGOT to negotiate! bad bad me. I should have told him 100 soles.

There is my story and my name was changed to protect the innocent. My name is um, Charles Paul Daniel Tom Mcgilliguddy, the IVth! i live somewhere below the Equator and above the South Pole.
..A Peruvian once asked me:what's the difference between special and abnormal?.....well my answer was : Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus..
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: I was able to get free cable

Postby chi chi » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:29 pm

crazytacoperu.com wrote:Ok, here is how I did it.

I called and ordered Internet from telefonica. They came and installed DSL and a telephone and asked if I had ordred cable TV. I said no. He said " do you want me to hook it up anyway?" I said "of course" (actually I said C)

I was so happy that I FORGOT to negotiate! bad bad me. I should have told him 100 soles.

200 soles? That's probably the highest ever propina paid in Peru. 20 soles would have been more than enough.
crazytacoperu.com
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: I was able to get free cable

Postby crazytacoperu.com » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:57 am

chi chi wrote:
crazytacoperu.com wrote:Ok, here is how I did it.

200 soles? That's probably the highest ever propina paid in Peru. 20 soles would have been more than enough.

Yeah, I figured that out later. I was ripped. But I have been in the same place for 2 years so 200 soles by 24 months is only 8 soles a month.
..A Peruvian once asked me:what's the difference between special and abnormal?.....well my answer was : Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus..
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:40 pm

Kelly wrote:You can for any channel that comes with an English language track.

On Movistar, it's with the SAP button on your TV.

On Claro, there's a button on the remote control for the decoder box that you can use to change language.

I've got Claro TV digital with a deco.

Mind you even in the international channels the language change does not work. For example, we can watch Natgeo or Discovery in English, but Bio is still in Spanish, no matter how much your curse at the TV! Haha. There are a few that are like set in Spanish and can't be changed either.
Regards,

Argidd
Jalapenomel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jalapenomel » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:37 pm

We have movistar that comes with cable, internet (at the second highest speed) and landline phone for 259 soles a month.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:31 am

I got a connection in my new home this week with TV SAM. I paid one year in advance so I negotiated a discount for that. I am paying 40 soles a month. (Normal price: 49 soles a month)

But I 'provided' cable TV to my neighboors by a cable via our gardens and collect 37.5 soles a month from both neighboor. ... so I MAKE 25 soles a month.
That pays for my water bill. :D :D :D
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:13 am

Chi Chi,

Can you run a cable to my place in Surquillo?

Philip :roll:
Roger in the US
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Roger in the US » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:38 pm

chi chi wrote:I got a connection in my new home this week with TV SAM. I paid one year in advance so I negotiated a discount for that. I am paying 40 soles a month. (Normal price: 49 soles a month)

But I 'provided' cable TV to my neighboors by a cable via our gardens and collect 37.5 soles a month from both neighboor. ... so I MAKE 25 soles a month.

Sounds like a deal i would make. I recently discovered that directv is an option here.

About 25 years ago when directv became an option in the states. A microwave network that I was maintaining was also in the 12 ghz band. We were told by the fcc that if any of our radios caused interference with a directv customer, we would either fix the cause of the interference or discontinue operation of the radios. These radios were providing distance learning for the smaller schools in the rural areas of the state. This was before the internet as we know today.

Corporate America trumped education..

I have seen a few directv dishes around Lima. Is it price competitive with the local companies???
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:16 pm

DirecTV has been in Lima since 2006. It's priced pretty competitively. I had 2 HD receivers with DVRs and every channel on the dial (like hundreds) for around $65US / month. It never went out in the 6 years I had it... not one time. This was as of Oct. 12. I had far more channels than MoviStar's top package, a clearer HD picture (on the few HD channels) and also had more channels in English. Canceling with them was a freakin nightmare. They harassed me to reconsider via several transfers to upper managers even after having told them I am leaving the country. They told me it'd take weeks to come pick up the equipment. I told them I would just throw the equipment out my 7th floor window since they did not have any SS# of any other document of mine. Actually after 3 weeks they never showed up and I just left it with my management office. Who knows if they ever got it.. I sure don't give a crap.

All that said, when I get back to Peru I will not have any sort of home television service because with Netflix, iTunes, Vudu and all my favorite sports (MLB/NHL/NFL) having online packages who needs it?

chi chi wrote:But I 'provided' cable TV to my neighboors by a cable via our gardens and collect 37.5 soles a month from both neighboor. ... so I MAKE 25 soles a month.

Proud to be stealing off a local Tarapoto company and then making profits off his neighbors. What a class act.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:17 am

Arroz con Pollo wrote:
chi chi wrote:But I 'provided' cable TV to my neighboors by a cable via our gardens and collect 37.5 soles a month from both neighboor. ... so I MAKE 25 soles a month.

Proud to be stealing off a local Tarapoto company and then making profits off his neighbors. What a class act.

My neighboors can't afford 49 soles a month and I wouldn't pay 49 soles a month so thanks to me the company makes money. Without me they wouldn't have got the contract with me.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:13 am

"My neighboors can't afford 49 soles a month"

I understand that you won't pay 49 Soles per month for cable, that just means that you're frugal, but What sort of area is this new property in, where the neighbor's can't afford 49 Soles a month?
Roger in the US
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Roger in the US » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:33 pm

Would it be possible to bring a receiver and dish from the states and have directv send you a card for the receiver? I have set up probably 10 receivers without a glitch.

Anybody with any insight on this?
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:33 pm

Roger in the US wrote:Would it be possible to bring a receiver and dish from the states and have directv send you a card for the receiver? I have set up probably 10 receivers without a glitch.

Anybody with any insight on this?

That's a big negative, Ghostrider. DirecTV uses geostationary satellites that are only visible from about as far south as Northern Venezuela. Even in Costa Rica you need a HUGE dishe just to get the signal. Curvature of the earth is a *****. What you need is an active legal account out of Puerto Rico. They hit the same Latin American satellite as all of Latin America but it's tuned to mostly US programming. It also has NBC/CBS/Fox/ABC out of Virgin Islands/PR. This is what The Corner sports bar has in Miraflores. So you just need a friend in PR :)

I researched all of this several years ago so maybe something has changed but once I could get 6Mb internet speeds in Lima I stopped caring and went 100% online. Good luck, Roger!
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:25 am

Arroz con Pollo wrote:

Good observation, but remember this is from the quaint fellow who "watched" his hotel co-workers steal from the guests' lugggage.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:19 pm

Chi Chi,

I bought the 10,000 meters of cable wire you suggested; when can you "hook me up"???
I vote for Chi Chi for PRESIDENT; can't be much worse than anyone else Peru has endured...
Plus maybe he can expand his TV network to other countries in South America & our taxes will be lower?

What a guy...

Philip :roll:
PS - Chi Chi, did you have to declare the $87,512.00 you won in Las Vegas to Belgium or Peru; when is the PARTY - that you invited me to?

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register