Legalisation of documents and the Apostille Treaty

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
JanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Legalisation of documents and the Apostille Treaty

Postby JanD » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:02 am

Does anyone know- or has personal experience whether the officials at the Direccion General de Migraciones y Naturalizacion and other Peruvian authorities accept (copies of) documents bearing an apostille in accordance with the (The Hague) Apostille Treaty, replacing the original legalisation (process)?

Since Peru has acceded the Apostille Treaty in Sept. 2010, legalisation of documents for use in Peru is supposed to have become much more simple.

Under the Apostille Treaty it is sufficient to have (only) the dedicated authority in the country of origin of the original documents add an apostille to the document, thus certifying the signature of the original document.
It replaces the legalisation process where you need "a chain" of signatures to certify the original signature.

Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Legalisation of documents and the Apostille Treaty

Postby Lloyd007 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:23 am

When I did my stuff, I had to present only the originals and still have them translated to Spanish by an official translator. I doubt copies are acceptable, but it may depend what tramite you are doing.
JanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JanD » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:34 am

but it may depend what tramite you are doing.

Rentista!
PeruFan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby PeruFan » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:06 am

Assuming I understand your question correctly:

Yes, in my experience recently they have accepted documents with an apostille. My two daughters birth certificates from 2 different U.S. states were accepted with the apostille attached. It was much simpiler than going the old route to have them legalized in the consulate in the U.S. However, I still had to have an "official translation" of each document done.

So, yes the process using Apostilles is being used.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register