Have a question from a female friend from Peru.

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Roger in the US
Gold Member
Gold Member

Have a question from a female friend from Peru.

Postby Roger in the US » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:43 am

A visited a friend from Peru in March and now she is flying into Dallas for a month to visit me.

She has the passport and visa so no problems there.

The question I have is

Will she be required to pay a tax or fee to the US or Peruvian government on her exit from Peru or entry to the states?

Thanks

Roger

chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Have a question from a female friend from Peru.

Postby chi chi » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Entering the US is free.

As she has a visa, she has to fill out the white immigration form that's distributed during the flight.
She will only be asked some questions when she arrives at US immigration like how long she's going to stay, where she's going to stay.
If she doesn't want to speak English to immigration then she doesn't have to. There are always interpreters from the airlines present at immigration.
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:03 pm

Roger in the US wrote:A visited a friend from Peru in March and now she is flying into Dallas for a month to visit me.

She has the passport and visa so no problems there.

The question I have is

Will she be required to pay a tax or fee to the US or Peruvian government on her exit from Peru or entry to the states?

Thanks

Roger

The salida's included in the price of the ticket.

That she has a passport and visa means just that; she can still be denied at the point of entry. You may want to keep that in mind.
Roger in the US
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Roger in the US » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:42 am

She just renewed her passport and visa. Why would she be denied?

Roger
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:52 am

Anyone can be denied at an USA airport, it is at the discretion of the officers and having a visa doesn't mean automatic entry.
Roger in the US
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Roger in the US » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:56 am

I understand but does this happen often? And why?
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:48 am

Roger in the US wrote:I understand but does this happen often? And why?

I can't speak to how often it happens. As for the why, it could be for any number of reasons. Overall, it means she didn't pass the "test" of the officer at the port of entry. Remember, a person is allowed in at the agent's discretion.
inscop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby inscop » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:26 pm

SELDOM. It usually occurs when the subject gives the wrong answers when asked about their purpose in coming. As long as she has funds to defray her cost of visiting, a valid return ticket and she doesn't say something stupid like, "I'm coming here to get married with my boyfriend," she should be okay. She is coming as a tourist, for a short visit and she intends to return home before her permit expires.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:58 pm

inscop wrote:

SELDOM. It usually occurs when the subject gives the wrong answers when asked about their purpose in coming. As long as she has funds to defray her cost of visiting, a valid return ticket and she doesn't say something stupid like, "I'm coming here to get married with my boyfriend," she should be okay. She is coming as a tourist, for a short visit and she intends to return home before her permit expires.

The questions they mostly ask when you arrive at US immigration are:

What's the purpose of your visit?
How long are you staying?
Where do you work?
Where are you staying?
How much money did you bring with you?

And they always ask to see your return or onward ticket.
richiecry
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby richiecry » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:49 am

Let her know that no matter how rude the USA Customs Officer might be.....to be polite, straight forward and concise. It is like night and day the difference between USA Customs and Canada Customs. I actually have friends now who refuse to go to the USA because of how they are treated by Customs officials. The questions Chi Chi lists are indeed the most common questions although they will also probably ask for your contact name and address as well.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:14 pm

richiecry wrote:Let her know that no matter how rude the USA Customs Officer might be.....to be polite, straight forward and concise. It is like night and day the difference between USA Customs and Canada Customs. I actually have friends now who refuse to go to the USA because of how they are treated by Customs officials. The questions Chi Chi lists are indeed the most common questions although they will also probably ask for your contact name and address as well.

I always found the people at immigration and customs in the US very friendly but that's my personal experience.
I often heard Canadians complaining about bad treatment by US immigration.
chicama
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby chicama » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:48 pm

chi chi wrote:I always found the people at immigration and customs in the US very friendly but that's my personal experience.
I often heard Canadians complaining about bad treatment by US immigration.

It depends, if you are a non-white Canadian returning home, you may like the US CBP officers better.

If the CBP officer is refusing her entry, she should demand to speak with the shift supervisor. The officer will tell her that the supervisor will not override his decision. She should insist. Shift supervisors do override officer's desicions if they are not fair. That what they are there for.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:32 pm

chicama wrote:If the CBP officer is refusing her entry, she should demand to speak with the shift supervisor. The officer will tell her that the supervisor will not override his decision. She should insist. Shift supervisors do override officer's desicions if they are not fair. That what they are there for.

I thought that the first CBP officer doesn´t take the final decision but if there are any suspicions regarding a passenger arriving then the CBP officer sends the passenger to the secondary inspection where a final decision is made.

To the OP: I suggest that his friend just makes sure that she has a copy of her return ticket with her and enough funds to pay for her stay.

His friend shouldn´t worry too much. If people get denied then it's because there's suspicion that they won't return before the expiry of their visa, don't have funds, they have intentions to work or they have fake documents.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register