Dealing with the humidity

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
vida.en.peru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dealing with the humidity

Postby vida.en.peru » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:20 am

We just recently moved to Barranco & are really feeling the humidity. The biggest problem is trying to dry our clothes. Hanging them outside is useless & inside is not any better. Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with this problem other than buying a dehumidifier? My husband said someone mentioned putting some kind of rocks or sand in the apt...I personally think it would be easier just to get a dehumidifier, but my husband wants to avoidthe expense. Any suggestions would be great. Otherwise, if anyone is or knows anyone sells a dehumidifier for a reasonable price, that would be great too! Or even a secadora, thanks!

stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Dealing with the humidity

Postby stuart » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:23 pm

Maybe start off with a 60w dehumidifier? Leave the clothes hanging in a room with the doors closed all night.

Even a gas dryer uses a fair bit of electricity, so I'd start with the small dehumidifier and see if that's enough. It will cost you around S/.150 for the machine and S/.10 a month extra on your electricity bill.

The bigger machines are about S/. 500, are 260w more or less, and will add about S/.40 to your bill, but are amazing.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:28 pm

vida.en.peru wrote:We just recently moved to Barranco & are really feeling the humidity. The biggest problem is trying to dry our clothes. Hanging them outside is useless & inside is not any better. Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with this problem other than buying a dehumidifier? My husband said someone mentioned putting some kind of rocks or sand in the apt...I personally think it would be easier just to get a dehumidifier, but my husband wants to avoidthe expense. Any suggestions would be great. Otherwise, if anyone is or knows anyone sells a dehumidifier for a reasonable price, that would be great too! Or even a secadora, thanks!

since you are right on the coast, you will really feel the affects of the humidity. other than moving farther inland, keep an eye on the buy/sell forum on this website. I have seen dehumidifiers on there very reasonable.
good luck :D
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:43 pm

I was hanging my clothes in the bathroom with a small heater and the door shut. I finally gave in this year and just bought a dryer.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:37 pm

Air conditioning on a well insulated room.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:58 pm

falconagain wrote:Air conditioning on a well insulated room.

Airco will increase your electricity bill a lot.
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:29 pm

What is the VERY BEST thing to take when you get a really bad gripe (cold) as I have now. These stupid panadol antigripales (and similar brands) are crap.
FHCZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FHCZ » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:05 pm

Kelly wrote:I was hanging my clothes in the bathroom with a small heater and the door shut. I finally gave in this year and just bought a dryer.

If you leave the door shut, then the humidity given off by the clothes will just saturate the room with humidity. You need to leave the door ajar for some ventilation. Anyway you are better-off with a dryer

Fausto
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:10 pm

I always dry my clothes in a dryer.

When they are dry and still warm, I can fold them and don't need to iron. If you dry your clothes by hanging them up, you have a lot of work ironing them later.

Also, I wouldn't hang up my clothes outside. All the smog gets into it.
I cleaned my terrace yesterday. An hour later, it was full of black dust.
FHCZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FHCZ » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:15 pm

Lloyd007 wrote:What is the VERY BEST thing to take when you get a really bad gripe (cold) as I have now. These stupid panadol antigripales (and similar brands) are crap.

I haven't had a cold or the flu for about two years, that's when I started placing an onion on my nightstand. Don't worry there is no smell as long as you don't slice it. Though, once you have the cold I do not know if it is effective

Fausto
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:45 am

FHCZ wrote:
Kelly wrote:I was hanging my clothes in the bathroom with a small heater and the door shut. I finally gave in this year and just bought a dryer.

If you leave the door shut, then the humidity given off by the clothes will just saturate the room with humidity. You need to leave the door ajar for some ventilation. Anyway you are better-off with a dryer

Fausto

Not when the bathroom has windows ;)
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:47 am

Lloyd007 wrote:What is the VERY BEST thing to take when you get a really bad gripe (cold) as I have now. These stupid panadol antigripales (and similar brands) are crap.

I have an unopened bottle of Nyquil I'll give you if you've got someone that can come by to pick it up.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:51 pm

I haven't had a cold or the flu for about two years, that's when I started placing an onion on my nightstand

?!?!?!?????
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:07 pm

renodante wrote:
I haven't had a cold or the flu for about two years, that's when I started placing an onion on my nightstand

?!?!?!?????

It's seems to be helping.
redrum
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby redrum » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:56 pm

the simplest solution is a clothes dryer, they sell them in plaza vea and various other appliance stores in lima.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:32 pm

I just hang them outside, and usually within one or two days they are dry. If it rained during the night then in the evening they are dry again.
If I am in a hurry then I take them to the hotel and dry them in the dryer, but that didn't happen yet this year ( I think last year it was more humid than this year .. )
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:13 pm

fanning wrote:I just hang them outside, and usually within one or two days they are dry. If it rained during the night then in the evening they are dry again.
If I am in a hurry then I take them to the hotel and dry them in the dryer, but that didn't happen yet this year ( I think last year it was more humid than this year .. )

I thought that was my imagination about it being less humid this year, but it seems that there is less humidity in the air. I do my drying exactly the way you do, (2 days) and bring them in at night before the drizzle comes, then fold them nice & neatly, and put them away.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
curranti
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby curranti » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:49 am

buy a dryer nothing else works

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register