How do these thieves at Telefonica still get away with this?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

How do these thieves at Telefonica still get away with this?

Postby renodante » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:19 pm

I understand they USED to be a monopoly in the Fujimori days, but they're not now. I'm paying 70 dollars a month for the best of the best speeds they have. It was great for the first 6 months or so, no problems. Then a few months ago it started taking youtube videos 15 minutes to load that used to take 1 minute, and sites I need to do my job time out on me.

I did a speed test, download speed .057 mbps. upload: 0.18

THAT'S WORSE THAN AN INTERNET CAFE.

Called them up, they were completely apathetic. So, they basically just decided to rip off people paying top dollar for high speed internet and give them crappy service. It's amazing how they get away with this, the monopoly days are over, how they hell is that company still in business with the horrible record they have?

And it's not my machine. Brought two friends with their laptops here and the speeds for them are the same in here.

Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: How do these thieves at Telefonica still get away with this?

Postby Lloyd007 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:39 pm

We were paying S/. 199 a month for the Trio package, with internet, standard cable and landline with free local minutes to other landlines. I decided enough was enough and tried to move to Claro, but they don't serve our street yet, so they still have a monopoly on some of us!

So I complained and told them I get better packages in Europe which cost less than they charge here. Now I pay 30 soles less a month for the same service. Algo es algo! But, the TV signal quality is terrible, the internet comes and goes and the phone is fine... but yeah, what a terrible company.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:21 pm

I heard that the best and also cheapest often is Clara Movil. Just plug in their USB and you have 24 wireless internet anywhere.
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:55 am

Lloyd007 wrote:I decided enough was enough and tried to move to Claro, but they don't serve our street yet, so they still have a monopoly on some of us!

Yes we have the same problem. For three years now Claro tells us they are extending their coverage (we are just one block away from where they have service and their ads say they have coverage in Surco and Miraflores and we are directly at the border of the two districts), but nothing happens. Really annoying and we are stuck with Movistar / Telefonica. Since we upgraded to a 6MB Internet, I at least can work again without waiting 5 minutes to have a page loaded. But the TV is just crab, signal bad, the guide doesn't work properly and a call to the 104 is normally just a waste of time. Additionally they started a few weeks back having strange call centers call us at least 3 or 4 times a week trying to sell us all sorts of stuff. Luckily it stop shortly after registering with Indecopi.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:43 am

We had Claro in Magdelina; now in Surquillo - they aren't available.
Movistar - SUCKS!!! The available channels are limited & the trio price is 170 soles; Internet is OK.
Any alternatives???

Muchas gracias
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:47 am

chi chi wrote:I heard that the best and also cheapest often is Clara Movil. Just plug in their USB and you have 24 wireless internet anywhere.

You heard wrong. For anything other than posting on expatperu/facebook/email both claro and movistar USBs are hilariously pathetic and way overpriced at that.

I had the 6Mb plan on Movistar (209/month) and it worked great for the entire time I had it in Miraflores. I did notice I could stream NFL games at 3500Kbps in HD no problem but a 45 second standard definition youtube video had to bufffer 50% of the time. I am convinced MoviStar throttles high usage sites like Youtube. Here in Mexico I am on a slower connection (infinitum/telmex) with shoddy wifi and Youtube videos load way faster whereas in Lima I was hoooked up directly to the modem via ethernet cable.

Anyway, it sounds like the OP has some serious issues that only a technician will be able to diagnose. It could be bad copper wiring in the building, overloaded switch etc etc there are so many variables. It seems like anywhere outside of Miraflores/San Isidro has the crappiest luck with internet.

Have you looked into MoviStar's new 10Mb+ plans? They are cable based instead of DSL which should be better considering Lima's laughable telephone cable infrastructure. Maybe try and switch to one of those. If I had not moved out of Peru I was considering it myself.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:07 am

Anyway, it sounds like the OP has some serious issues that only a technician will be able to diagnose. It could be bad copper wiring in the building, overloaded switch etc etc there are so many variables. It seems like anywhere outside of Miraflores/San Isidro has the crappiest luck with internet.

i'm smack in the middle of miraflores and the building is only 3 years old. i'll ask my neighbors and see if they have similar problems

Have you looked into MoviStar's new 10Mb+ plans? They are cable based instead of DSL which should be better considering Lima's laughable telephone cable infrastructure. Maybe try and switch to one of those. If I had not moved out of Peru I was considering it myself.

Doesn't movistar=telefonica?
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:47 am

Yes, Telefonica rebranded like 2 years ago. Anyway, here is the link: http://www.movistar.com.pe/internet/movistar-uno

I am pretty sure that is cable based since DSL in Peru won't support speeds over 7Mb. I don't know anyone who has this service so I can't comment on its quality.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:46 pm

I file a denuncia with OSIPTEL every time they try a stunt. Each time I do, the problem gets resolved.
caliaa
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby caliaa » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:55 pm

If you think about switching to OLO, please read this post. They offer unlimited internet (Claro has a cap) at 5MB for 130 soles and of course, it was too good to be true. I'm actually switching back to Telefónica because OLO is too unstable.

We've tried to make it work in several parts of Miraflores and the results are pretty much the same. Netflix stops several times and playing videogames is just impossible. It's a shame but all ISPs in Peru suck.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:22 pm

The best and cheapest way to access the internet is if you go to a locutorio. You pay 1 sol per hour and good access and no problems, contracts, etc. at all.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:04 pm

caliaa wrote:If you think about switching to OLO, please read this post. They offer unlimited internet (Claro has a cap) at 5MB for 130 soles and of course, it was too good to be true. I'm actually switching back to Telefónica because OLO is too unstable.

We've tried to make it work in several parts of Miraflores and the results are pretty much the same. Netflix stops several times and playing videogames is just impossible. It's a shame but all ISPs in Peru suck.

Thanks for posting this, my computer engineer geek buddy suggested OLO and I was close to trying it.

The best and cheapest way to access the internet is if you go to a locutorio. You pay 1 sol per hour and good access and no problems, contracts, etc. at all.

Can't do that b/c I work from home and need two monitors. can't be at an internet cafe for 8-10 hours a day.
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:06 pm

americorps wrote:I file a denuncia with OSIPTEL every time they try a stunt. Each time I do, the problem gets resolved.

thanks, i'll check that out
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:47 pm

I have a Movistar Trio with 3 TV decoders, 4 Mb Internet, and no problems at all, in Miraflores.
I download torrents at 390kB/s and have a Popcornhour (http://www.popcornhour.com) to see (Dutch) Internet TV on my 46'' screen, without ANY problem.

Now we just renew our RPC Claro plan to include a 3GB data plan on my Samsung Galaxy ( which can act as a Wifi hotspot ), so if we go to the beach in summer, we also have Internet through that phone with my laptop / tablets. Claro actually has a promotion going, that if you already have at least a Internet connection through them, for S/. 15 a month they give you a 3GB USB stick for use on your laptop ( But as said before, I just use the Wifi hotspot on my cellular to get Internet on my laptop / tablets )
LDX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby LDX » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:00 pm

fanning wrote:I have a Movistar Trio with 3 TV decoders, 4 Mb Internet, and no problems at all, in Miraflores.
I download torrents at 390kB/s and have a Popcornhour (http://www.popcornhour.com) to see (Dutch) Internet TV on my 46'' screen, without ANY problem.

Now we just renew our RPC Claro plan to include a 3GB data plan on my Samsung Galaxy ( which can act as a Wifi hotspot ), so if we go to the beach in summer, we also have Internet through that phone with my laptop / tablets. Claro actually has a promotion going, that if you already have at least a Internet connection through them, for S/. 15 a month they give you a 3GB USB stick for use on your laptop ( But as said before, I just use the Wifi hotspot on my cellular to get Internet on my laptop / tablets )

4mb is a good speed for peru, how much u pay?
have u tried to measure your speed?
http://www.speedtest.net/

I usually get 1.9 out of my 2mb plan in CLARO
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:02 pm

Just did the test. 3.42 Mbs download / 0.40 Mbs upload.
LDX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby LDX » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:28 am

fanning wrote:Just did the test. 3.42 Mbs download / 0.40 Mbs upload.

sounds fair, thanks for sharing...
Icachico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Icachico » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:46 am

renodante wrote:

i'm smack in the middle of miraflores and the building is only 3 years old. i'll ask my neighbors and see if they have similar problems

Doesn't movistar=telefonica?

Or perhaps ask someone familiar with the building maybe a doorman or maintenance man.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:59 pm

Arroz con Pollo wrote:It seems like anywhere outside of Miraflores/San Isidro has the crappiest luck with internet.

In the building I had my flat in, in San Miguel, there was a sala de internet for the residents of the building and the connection and speed was very good. Only between 6 and 9 pm is was a bit slower.

Now I am staying at my gf her families home in Villa El Salvador and have a Clara Movil USB and it works fine and very fast connection.
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby edgeclinger » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:00 pm

We've had Claro Triplay plan in Miraflores for the past two years and it worked fairly well, but I thought it was too slow. So when the builder of our new apartment building in Magdalena told us that the building had been "pre-wired" for Movistar, we decided to try it - and upgrade to a faster speed. We moved in last week and have been trying for over a week now to get them to do the installation. We did a contract with the Miraflores office. We have since been visited by a range of installers who give us a selection of reasons for not doing the installation. The 2nd visit to the office resulted in them telling us it should not have taken this long and that they would expedite it! Ha! Today we visited the office closer to us, on Av Sucre. The agent there said that although our contract was manually written correctly, when they input it to the computer, the had put our address as Miraflores instead of Magdalena and that had caused the problem! She wrote up a new contract and said it will be installed tomorrow afternoon. Vamos a ver!
Loving Living in Lima
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:36 am

Or perhaps ask someone familiar with the building maybe a doorman or maintenance man.

Thanks "yourfriendinperu"'s sock account!

Maybe you can make up your own story about how the reason why my internet is only at 0.6 mbps upload speed when telefonica advertises it at 6 mbps is due to my ineptitude or stupidity, even though i've had my friend who's a software engineer check it out and verify it's their fault and has nothing to do with the building.

It will give you something blog about at least.
DC_20833

Postby DC_20833 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:23 pm

I have had both Movistar and Claro here in Peru. When I moved from San Isidro to Miraflores the building I moved to didn't have Claro and I did not want to go thru getting them to install the service from the street into the building. Claro will do that but it took me almost 9 months to get the service because of multiple delays from the municipality and one person who lived in my building that worked for Movistar and basically tried to continue the Movistar Monopoly.

I have found Claro much less responsive than Movistar when it comes to service. I bought a Smart TV and had some issues with the router connecting they said they would somebody within 3 hours and they arrived within the time frame and solved the issue. It really comes down to how you treat the person who accepts your call when you need service. I am always polite and address them by first name and politely request service and every time I do that BINGO i get the service within the time frame they say. I also always offer the service tech a glass or bottle of water, coffee, juice or whatever. They always fix the problem and look for other things that need to be fixed and usually fix them.

Claro's people once they got to your house were also very responsive but VERY messy and they never arrived on time and literally had body odor.

As far as service I have a 3 play which is the telephone, cable, and internet it allows me up to 3 TVs and 3 telephones and a wireless router. The speed is pretty good except at night time. I would also point out that when they installed this service the Technicians went thru hell and had to replace a lot of wiring in my building to get me the correct speed. As I said earlier I treated the technicians with a lot of respect and was very kind and they worked their fannies off for me.

I know the rates are a lot higher here in Peru than in the US but please don't take that out on the people who work for Telefonica or you will continue waiting and waiting for service.
lizzym
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby lizzym » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:44 pm

Thanks "yourfriendinperu"'s sock account!

Maybe you can make up your own story about how the reason why my internet is only at 0.6 mbps upload speed when telefonica advertises it at 6 mbps is due to my ineptitude or stupidity, even though i've had my friend who's a software engineer check it out and verify it's their fault and has nothing to do with the building.

It will give you something blog about at least.

haha this forum is somebody's social life—whoever it is. So much for winning at the internets.
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby edgeclinger » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:12 pm

edgeclinger wrote:She wrote up a new contract and said it will be installed tomorrow afternoon. Vamos a ver!

We finally gave up on Movistar. Everytime we went to the office they said everything was fine and someone would come to install the service. Eventually a service person would arrive, but only to tell us why they couldn't install the service. They couldn't find us because we weren't in the computer because we don't have enough last names. I liked this one, since they were standing at our door while telling us they couldn't find us. They couldn't find us because our apartment # was not on the contract. (This also while standing at our door.) When we showed them that our apartment number WAS on the contract, they said it was on the wrong line. Then there was the explanation that we had been input to the computer as Miraflores instead of Magdalena. There were few others that I can't recall, but the bottom line appeared to be that we didn't have a DNI. After wasting a lot of time waiting for them, we finally went to the Claro office and asked them to transfer our service to our new apartment. Fortunately we still had not cancelled the service from the old place. They said they were be here within 3 days. On the evening of the 2nd day, they called to say they would be here between 9 and 11 the next morning. At 9 the next morning, they arrived and did the installation. I'm still in shock. I still, however, am not happy with the speed and the connection. In an 81 sq meter apartment, surely we should be able to access the WiFi on the balcony! But no, or at least not well, and it's weak at the far end of the apartment from where the modem sits near the entrance. Gene says there's something he needs to do to the modem to program it to be accessible to a wider area. This sounds weird to me. I'm trying to be satisfied that at least I have internet again.
Loving Living in Lima
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:49 pm

Did the OLO thing, so far, it's working great. Averaging around 5 mbps, every once in a while dropping a bit but never below 3 mbps.
Icachico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Icachico » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:25 pm

renodante wrote:Did the OLO thing, so far, it's working great. Averaging around 5 mbps, every once in a while dropping a bit but never below 3 mbps.

Perhaps you could provide us a screenshot of that internet speed just to prove you're not taking liberty of the facts.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:51 pm

Now, really???

Would any poster willingly & knowingly "take liberty of the facts"; OUTRAGEOUS!!!

Philip
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:33 am

Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:23 am

I love these pictures, maybe in the new year I can gain the computer experience to do same...

Still looking for computer classes in English?

Happy New Year to all,

Philip
Icachico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Icachico » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:54 am

renodante wrote:Image

Of the facts, with the facts whatever.
Just don't cause another "blackout".
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:12 pm

I may be able to shed a small bit of light on this topic.

I am currently using Telefonica's free wifi from my beach house in the Puerto Viejo area. It is fantastic when it works, but not terrible reliable. But for the price, I can't complain.

Here's the speed when I do a regular speed test:

7mbps down AND up (yes, 7bmps upload!!) is pretty impressive for Peru.

However, if I enable my proxy to my server in Texas, my speed drops precipitously:

Suddenly I only get 3mbps down and 1mbps up. The far higher latency (ping of 151ms) is entirely expected due to the proxy. But there should be a negligible change in the overall speed because my server in Texas can handle 100mbps up/down.

So clearly there is a bottleneck in traffic to/from the US. My guess would be that Telefonica is throttling the throughput somewhat, likely due to insufficient internet peering arrangements.

Many people are not aware that it can actually costs ISPs significant money to send data long distances, particularly when they must negotiate with another ISP where the data usage is not equal, which is certainly the case with far more clients in Peru accessing the US compared to the number of clients in US accessing Peru.

You might be surprised how much it costs if you want to get a contractual agreement for a particular level of internet service to the US. A friend of mine was involved in such negotiations for his company so I saw the costs and they were mind blowingly HUGE.

Anyway, this is my first post here. Hope it helps.
Icachico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Icachico » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:10 pm

Gringolandia,
Thanks for making that screenshot available.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:57 pm

As much as I've had extremely poor service from telefonica/movistar over the years, I recently changed my internet to Movistar Uno.. We called on Saturday, and it was installed on Monday without any issues. This one great experience doesn't make up for all the poor ones, but to be fair, they did a great job and it was fast.
minos
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby minos » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:27 pm

I had 4 mg movistar, but the technician recommended me down to 2 Meg, told me that plants of movistar are obsolete. Only work in certain places but in others not, and that would need to innovate so that problems are resolved
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:57 pm

We had some problems with one particular phone line, well better said, the Internet service.
We had a 6 Mb plan, but many times the line dropped, and sometimes the modem wouldn't even connect.
The technician in the end gave the answer, and it basically is very simple.
You can enter in your modem ( usually http://192.168.1.1 ) and you probably find in the 'statistic page' a number called SNR ratio ( Signal-to-Noise ratio )
That number should be for both Up as Down, at least 9 dB. In our case it was 5.5 dB and that causes the problems.
He told me that the actual cable from the street pole to their central in Benavides was soo old, and had so many parches, that this cause a lot of noise on the line, in the end interfering with the Internet.

He suggested to change my plan from 6Mb to 4Mb, as that supposedly increases the SNR ratio.
But I simply asked for a new phone line ( a Duo, with phone and Internet ). And that comes with a new phone, and new modem for free.
You get a new phone number ( which in our case doesn't matter, as we exclusively use that line for Internet and the Visa / Mastercard POS ).
We called on Saturday for the new line, and today they came to install it.
The SNR on this new line is 26 dB !!!
So a lot higher than the 9 dB which is necessary for a good connection.

My suggestion, check the SNR in your modem, and make sure it is higher than 9 dB, else call Movistar and have the technicians sort it out.
crazytacoperu.com
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby crazytacoperu.com » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:39 am

I have the 20 meg telefonica "Fibra Optica" which is a bunch of crap. Its just a coaxial cable (the old cablemodem). Its JUNK. Get ADSl if you can get them to sell it to you.

The cablemodem loses connection every week for about 6 hrs during the business hours - which hurts my business. Its up and down. I call tech support and they say "there is a problem in the area". All of the local cabinas with DSl work fine, but everybody else on the new cablemodems are out of service.

I tried to order DSL and they agreed to install it, then they tired to install cablemodem, I did not let them. I called back and they want me to cancel my phone and install a new phone with dsl. Bunch of crap liars.

My solution is an OLO wirless connection, which I use as backup whenever telefonica fails - once a week for almost a whole business day.
Claro does not provide service to my Miraflores address - they have service 1 block away.
..A Peruvian once asked me:what's the difference between special and abnormal?.....well my answer was : Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus..
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:22 pm

I have the 15 MB service from Movistar, and though the speed tests out at 15 to 20 MB (and 2 MB upload) on Ookla, the true download speed is closer to 2 or 3 MB. In Peru, if memory serves, there is a law requiring that ISPs provide at least ten percent of the advertised speed. So, in my case, as long as the good people at Movistar give me at least 1.5 MB on average, they are technically compliant.

Movistar is part of Telefonica, a Spanish company. When I lived in Madrid, Spaniards called it "Timofonica," from the verb timar, which means to swindle. All of this, and, I'm sorry to say, Movistar is the best (least bad) service I have had in Peru. Everyone I know has complained about Claro, a Mexican company (part of Carlos Slim's group). Furthermore, I tried Olo and it was an unmitigated disaster. I could never get truly high speeds, and for an entire week I was without internet.

YouTube videos tend to load slowly here, buy not always. I have been able to download movies and TV shows within a reasonable period of time, so it might be a YouTube issue.

DirecTV, which offers satellite television, is planning on entering the Internet market in Peru in the near future. Hopefully they'll be able to handle the hoardes.

One last thing, the poster who mentioned that Telefonica was formerly a monopoly was absolutely right. To add to that, Telefonica still apparently owns all the communications channels in Peru and leases them out to Claro and Olo. So when Movistar has a real problem, everyone has that problem. I can only imagine how tempting it might be for a company in such a position to occasionally tweak the service it offers to its competition customers in order to try and win over customers.
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register