Minivan Advice

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
deliotb

Minivan Advice

Postby deliotb » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:07 pm

Hi, we're moving to Peru soon, and our employer will pay to ship a car. We have three kids and need to bring a minivan. We're used to the Toyota Sienna, but we know they don't have them in Peru. We thought we'd get a Honda Odyssey instead, but I discovered that the Odyssey in the rest of the world is not the same car as the Odyssey in North America. If we brought either a Sienna or an Odyssey with us, how hard would it be to get parts in the even of mechanical issues? Any other recommendations? Are there large minivans that are sold in the U.S. and in Peru? Thanks.

Suncha
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Minivan Advice

Postby Suncha » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:32 pm

First off, I'd come to Peru and take a look around at what other people are driving. And HOW they drive! Then think about what you feel is safest? I have 3 kids, 8, 4, and 18 months and we don't have a car. We get around perfectly fine with out one.
Where will you be living is a huge factor also.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:17 am

Suncha wrote:First off, I'd come to Peru and take a look around at what other people are driving. And HOW they drive! Then think about what you feel is safest? I have 3 kids, 8, 4, and 18 months and we don't have a car. We get around perfectly fine with out one.
Where will you be living is a huge factor also.

I suggest the same.

All kind of cars drive around in Lima. And mecanics can fix anything up here. They always find an alternative part or copy of a part. But as a gringo you are likely to charged more for repairs and parts because they will assume you have a lot of dollares.

Carcrime is rife in Peru and especially gringos driving a new car are seen as a very easy target. Carjackings, robberies at traffic lights are a daily occurance. They are not shy of killing you for a few solitos if you don't hand over your car and or valuables immediately. If someone sees a thief steal your car, they will do nothing to avoid 'problems' with the thief or his accomplices. People will look the other way. Same in case you get assaulted. No one will help you.

Most cars are in very bad condition in Peru. Bad brakes, worn tyres, driving without lights at night, not using indicators, no brake lights, passing red lights are common. Buses and trucks that cross the road without looking if other traffic is coming is normal. Drink driving is a big problem too. Hit and run accidents happen all the time. Every day, there are deadly accidents.

Police stops gringos and demands a high tip and threaten with serious problems if you don't pay up.

If you really need a car, I suggest you buy one locally and a cheap second hand one. A nice new car, doesn't stay nice for long here and gets stolen quickly.
If you have a new car, it's highly suggested that you only park at a guarded carpark thus you will incure a lot of extra costs.
Also, you can only drive with a foreign licence for a limited time here.
Retired in Lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Retired in Lima » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:32 pm

Unless "the company" is planning on paying any import duties , I would just buy a new one here!
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby stuart » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:07 pm

You did mean just 3 kids, right? If they are not terribly obese there will be a very wide selection of models to choose from. Cheap and cheerful low-theft-incidence Kia Carens maybe?
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:40 pm

Personally, having moved here from the US myself, if the company is paying ALL costs associated with the move (transport, customs, etc), I would have brought my car from the US. Comparatively, used cars - based on what I have seen having been here for over 2 years - are much more expensive than they are in the US. I had a 2008 Pontiac G5 I sold before I moved here for $7,000US -- here I could have sold it for nearly $12,000US (and probably 3 years from now).
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:58 pm

Agreed - we just sold a 97 toyota something or other for $6000 - with a disassembled motor and no hood!

The plus is you can buy new and get a really good resale value when you leave - I'd say it depends on how long you plan to stay. And if the company also plans on shipping it home for you.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:06 pm

Kelly wrote:Agreed - we just sold a 97 toyota something or other for $6000 - with a disassembled motor and no hood!

Ha Ha Ha

http://www.google.com.pe/imgres?q=flint ... 2,s:0,i:72
e-peruvian
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby e-peruvian » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:19 pm

If you bring in a vehicle from the U. S. you may have to take it back with you. I believe that you can't sell an imported car that is more than 2 years old; If you were in peru for more than 2 years I don't think you could sell the car here. I have seen other posts on here about that problem.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:02 am

e-peruvian wrote:If you bring in a vehicle from the U. S. you may have to take it back with you. I believe that you can't sell an imported car that is more than 2 years old; If you were in peru for more than 2 years I don't think you could sell the car here. I have seen other posts on here about that problem.

If the vehicle fulfills the current importation requirements and you pay the relevant duty, you can do what you want with it. There's a huge business in Tacna based on just that.
deliotb

Postby deliotb » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:12 am

We need a minivan because our three kids are small and need to fit three car seats and boosters. Anyone know if the Honda Odyssey sold in Peru, which I know is different than the U.S. one, has mostly the same parts, or is it basically the equivalent of a completely different model?
jamesw

Postby jamesw » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:57 am

Hi, i have looked at the peruvian honda website and the american one. To me, they both look to be the same car and have the same 3.5 l v6 engine. You shouldn't have any problems with parts, if you get it serviced at the honda dealer. A very common minivan that most peruvian tours and companies seem to use is the Hyundai H1 (i think it has a different name in the US/Europe). I have also seen quite a a lot of Chrysler Town & Country's.

Also, here is a useful website/blog that has good information about taxes of importing cars (its in spanish). http://importaciondevehiculosusados.blo ... culos.html

According to the tlc free trade agreement, you can import a new car without having to pay the ad-valorem tax aslong as the car has been made in america and has an engine larger than 3liters.

Good luck, James.
Last edited by jamesw on Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:26 am

deliotb wrote:We need a minivan because our three kids are small and need to fit three car seats and boosters. Anyone know if the Honda Odyssey sold in Peru, which I know is different than the U.S. one, has mostly the same parts, or is it basically the equivalent of a completely different model?

Check out the new car sections on these web sites.

http://neoauto.clasificados.pe/

http://www.todoautos.com.pe
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby koplinfamilia » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:25 pm

Hands down the Hyundai H1 is by far the most popular van here in Peru. We own one and are very content with it. The resale value on these vans is almost what you pay for it new, even a few years later with over 100,000 miles, no joke. The only problem that you could face is that we actually went to buy another (we own a transportation business) and there is not one in Peru (new) because the demand is so high. I would imagine by the time you arrive their new stock will have arrived. To be honest, I don't see any Honda, Toyota, Ford ect. vans on the roads here. There are other brands that in my opinion are not equal as far as quality like a brand named Jax, and Suzuki. We looked around a lot before buying and do not regret the decision. We also have two young kids, and with this van you do not need booster seats as there are only a lap belts.

If you can get your company to help with buying a new one here, it is the better way to go, if not at least take advantage of their offer to help with the cost. Don't worry about the repairs too much, as someone stated, they can fix anything here!
Integrity Tourism & Transportation
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
USA Direct Line (585) 861-3106
http://www.integritytourism.com
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:29 pm

koplinfamilia wrote:Hands down the Hyundai H1!

It's also one of the most stolen vehicles too as they break them up and parts are easy to sell as they are in high demand.

Whatever car you buy, make sure that you have a loud alarm system installed and make sure it's that sensible that it goes off whenever someone touches your car or comes too close too it. Every car owner in Peru has a good alarm.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register