Market in Surco or Surquillo?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
katebruder
Silver Member
Silver Member

Market in Surco or Surquillo?

Postby katebruder » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:24 pm

Where can I find another food market in Surco?

I went to the little market on Encalada & Primavera behind the Vivanda and was wondering if there was one closer to my apartment in Surco... I live at the Puente Benavides and the Panamericana Sur (in Urb. San Ignacio, which is along the Pista Nueva).

I've also heard that Surquillo has a pretty great market. Where is that one located?

Gary
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Market in Surco or Surquillo?

Postby Gary » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:11 am

I also live near Puente Benavides and the Panamericana Sur, probably the easiest mercado to get to is on Benavides, get on a bus, just before you get to the ovalo (where the train passes over), there is a walkway over Benavides, there is a very clean mercado there, it's a green building, I think it is called Mercado Eden. To get to the mercado in Surquillo continue on Benavides to the Wong store, go right on Av Panama, about a block down you can catch another bus, just before you get to the Maestro store there is a large mercado near the bus stop. If your more adventuresome, check out the mercados in San Juan they are a short bus ride from the Puente Benavides.
Kelly

Re: Market in Surco or Surquillo?

Postby Kelly » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:42 am

I don't care for the market near the Ace Maestro store - it's in one of the worst parts of Surquillo and the odor is awful (just my opinion - my mother in law does a lot of shopping there, so what do I know!).

Surquillo has two very nice markets.

Mercado 1 is one of Gaston Acurio's favorite places. It is at the puente on Ricardo Palma, just to the north, in a big building that says "MERCADO" - the block around it is mostly pedestrian traffic and there are lots of nice little restaurants tucked in there.

Mercado 2 is on Calle Dante, just a block off the via express where it crosses with Angamos Este. This is my favorite market for shopping for meat, and in general it's usually a tiny bit cheaper than #1.

There are maps to both of them on the post here - http://mylifeinperu.com/2010/05/07/surquillo-market-1/

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register