Places to Buy Fabric

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Places to Buy Fabric

Postby edgeclinger » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:45 am

I need to buy some fabric to recover some cushions on rattan furniture. I'm thinking something like an abstract print in a cotton to canvas sort of weight (not the heavy "upholstery" weights). I haven't seen stores with varieties of types and styles of fabrics to choose from (Lima area). Any suggestions?

Loving Living in Lima
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Places to Buy Fabric

Postby gerard » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:43 am

alexPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby alexPeru » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:28 pm

There are also a ton of shops around multi top that sell fabric.
meggyrosey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby meggyrosey » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:14 pm

Multitop is a giant store that has everything however, I prefer some of the stores close by. A little easier to shop. They are located on Av Iquitos. There are about 4-5 blocks of fabric stores where you will be able to find everything you need. I recommend to shop around a little, you can find a lot of great things ranging from S./14 a meter to S./100 a meter.

Av Iquitos is located behind Polvos Azules near the Estadio Nacional.

Another place you can go is to Decor Club. It's located in Surquillo on Tomas Marsano, 6 blocks give or take from Open Plaza.

Good luck!
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby edgeclinger » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:47 pm

OK. There's a reason I hate shopping: I suck at it. I finally got out to Av Iquitos this afternoon. I went into every one of the fabric stores - at least twice. I saw tons of vinyl, plastico, heavy (and mostly dark) upholstery type fabric. And you're all right: there's quite a selection. I finally found ONE store that had quite a supply of lightweight cotton prints. I went through them and through them - and could not find one that I liked or that I thought would fit well with my decor. I made myself look with an open mind (yeah, everything fell out and it's totally empty now), telling myself not to insist of my preconceived idea of what I wanted, but to look for something attractive that would work. Nothing worked. Now I'm depressed. I really want to have these rattan furniture cushions recovered with something arty, painterly , colorful, with some pizazz. But it looks like I'm stuck with the tired old ones until I come across something accidentally that will fit, even if it's not what I had in mind.
But meanwhile, as always, I want to thank you all for trying to help. I'm depressed today, but I'm sure my attitude will improve tomorrow and eventually something will work out.
Lauris
Loving Living in Lima
koplinfamilia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby koplinfamilia » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:40 pm

Just bought abunch for some furniture we are making at a place on Santa Cruz in Miraflores. The whole store was material but only had time to go to the "beach" section. I think it was called Decor Interiors, near the Oval Gutierrez.
Integrity Tourism & Transportation
ENTEL 985 059 944
RPM #949 811 404
USA Direct Line (585) 861-3106
http://www.integritytourism.com
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby edgeclinger » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:01 pm

Thanks. I'll check that place out. Meanwhile, one of my favorite restaurants has table cloths made out of exactly the fabric I want. They told me today they bought the fabric at Gamarra, cuadra 4. So I think I need to go look there.
Lauris
Loving Living in Lima
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:37 am

Best place to go is Gamarra. It's full of places that sell fabrics and prices are much cheaper too.
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby edgeclinger » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:29 am

So several people have told me now that:
(1) I will never find this place that the restaurant person makes sound so easy - "on the corner at cuadra 4 of Gamarra" - because I have to go inside this huge (12 blocks?) area and wander around trying to find stuff, and will surely get lost.
(2) Gamarra is not particularly safe, even in the best of times, especially going there alone.
(3) During the month of December it is amazingly crowded and a magnet for opportunistic robbers.

Maybe I will compromise and wait until January to go, although I am very anxious to buy this fabric.
Loving Living in Lima

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register