Expat bringing a television/Misc electronics..

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
hikerak

Expat bringing a television/Misc electronics..

Postby hikerak » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:40 pm

Hello all,

I will be moving to Cajamarca, in the summer. I currently live in the United States and have a typical 40in HDTV/receiver/DVD player/Apple TV/ Roku. I also have a Netflix account. I plan on having a Cable TV and continuing my netflix account.

I have read all the info on TVs and electronics and I understand that people recommend that buying electronics there. All of my stuff is relatively new and I plan on applying for a rentista card. I read soewhere that if you have a rentista card, you are exempt from the taxes? Also, I have the receipts for my equipment and feel like it might be worth it to just pay the tax if I have to because it would be less expensive that buying all of this new. Thoughts? I also understand that Peru uses the same NTSC standard as the US so that shouldn't be an issue either.

One other question. Will the DVD player work or will the location setting mess that up?

Thanks in advance...

Matt

americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Expat bringing a television/Misc electronics..

Postby americorps » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:03 am

The price of Televisions are higher here than the USA, but not by that much so usually the cost of shipping it from the USA is not worth it.

There are lots of places to buy tv´s but here is one of the major vendors, check out their prices so you can make your own comparisons.

http://www.hiraoka.com.pe/

It will usually be cheaper to buy it in Lima and ship it to cajamarca by one of the bus lines, but that would not be very much, less than $20 (S/ 50) more or less depending on the bus line. Prices are higher in the provinces usually.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:29 am

also, keep in mind, voltage here is 220. if your tv is 110, you will have to buy a transformer for it.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
kpw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby kpw » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:14 pm

Your Netflix account will work in Peru, but be aware the amount of content available is not as big as in the USA (even with a US account and credit card). You need to have a good internet connnection of >4Mb for Netflix with AppleTV to work.

I had in Lima with a 3Mb connection (S/.100 in package of 3), AppleTV movies/series did not load, with Netflix I had issues sometimes.

Bring the AppleTV, Roku with you; buy the rest here. Get a good connection, I do not know how good these are in Cajamarca.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:15 pm

I try to buy electronics here if possible. It is just easier and the price difference isn't all that much for most stuff. The selection is getting noticeably better each year. We bought a nice 55" LG TV this year during a sale before xmas and the price was only slightly higher than it would have been in the US.

However, there are some things that are still pretty much impossible to find here, so some "smuggling" might be in order.

For example, I like to use a 27" computer monitor with 1920x1200 resolution. I searched high and low for one here and could not find it. There are some with 1920x1080 resolution, but none with 1920x1200. So I had a friend who was visiting carry one in for me in a well packed hard case. He's a radiologist and planned to say he needs it for his work if questioned.

Another example was my amp/receiver for my home audio system. Again, I couldn't find any here. Lots of cheap boombox crap, but no high quality audio/video receivers. So I bought it in the US from a company that sells 220v equipment, and brought it through (still in its box) in a suitcase. I planned to say it was my "radio" (one of the allowed items) if questioned.

No red light either time, so luck can be a factor. If it came down to it I wouldn't have minded paying the tax because these are necessities as far as I'm concerned.

Also, some small electronics are best to carry in because it is easy, allowed, and there are significant cost savings. Examples would be iPads, laptops, smart phones, PS3, etc.
Last edited by gringolandia on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:21 pm

By the way, Pandora and Netflix (with all movies) can work fine if you set up a proxy or VPN connection to a server in the US. Just find a friend or family member in the US who will let you share their network connection, and then have them set up a wifi router with custom firmware (DD-WRT, OpenWRT, Tomato, Gargoyle) which includes a VPN server. Details are for another thread sometime ;)
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:40 pm

americorps wrote:The price of Televisions are higher here than the USA, but not by that much so usually the cost of shipping it from the USA is not worth it.

There are lots of places to buy tv´s but here is one of the major vendors, check out their prices so you can make your own comparisons.

http://www.hiraoka.com.pe/

It will usually be cheaper to buy it in Lima and ship it to cajamarca by one of the bus lines, but that would not be very much, less than $20 (S/ 50) more or less depending on the bus line. Prices are higher in the provinces usually.

Moviltours is a very reliable company that can ship things for you from Lima to Cajamarca.
But Cajamarca is close to Tarapoto, so I suggest that your travel by bus from Cajamarca to Tarapoto and brings the items with you.
The advantage of buying things in Peru is that you have warranty.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register