House Insurance Claims

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
mickd
Silver Member
Silver Member

House Insurance Claims

Postby mickd » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:04 pm

My apartment in Lima has sustained water damage, I am Insured with RIMAK, and I thought that I was covered for all eventualities, except that now I have been informed by my Broker that although the assessor that has been sent by the insurance company, has seen the damage that has been sustained to my flooring and the walls, and quotations have been supplied by a company to do the work.
I would have thought that it was a simple procedure for the floor companies quotation to be passed to the insurance company, and the work to be carried out. My broker has e mailed me to say that in PERU I have to pay up front all the bills that have been authorised, and then claim for them off the insurance company. When I told him that this was madness, he said that this was the case of all reputable insurance companies in Peru. Can anyone advise me if this is actually true,because at the moment I am in the UK, and its been a very difficult time as you can imagine.

adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: House Insurance Claims

Postby adrian Thorne » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:50 am

Mick this is incorrect information. My wife works for Pacifico as executive representative to the brokers and confirms the following:
In the first instance the damage is reported to the insurence company and they will provide their own assessor for the estimates and labour for the work to be carried out. On completion of the repair you are required to sign a satisfaction document and the repairs are paid by the insurence company direct.
Pim the details including brokers name to me and my wife will talk to them.
In the past we have suffered water damage from burst pipes and the aboved applied to us without any problem.
mickd
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: House Insurance Claims

Postby mickd » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:09 am

Dear Adrian,

Thank you so much for your kind offer of help. Last night I had tried e-mailing you and attaching files but the site would not allow this. This morning however I have cut and pasted the documents to the e-mail, and sent it to you. The broker specifically mentions your wife's company which has the same practice i.e. You pay for the work and then make the claim.
Thank you once again

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register