Fastest Broandband connection for an upload in Lima

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
perugeek

Fastest Broandband connection for an upload in Lima

Postby perugeek » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:02 am

Hello,

I'm headed to lima and need to upload a video onto youtube - it's just under 200MB, do any members know of the fastest internet connection available in lima either at an internet cafe or private paid connection to complete this job?

Many Thanks in advance.

BobLowry
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Fastest Broandband connection for an upload in Lima

Postby BobLowry » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:34 am

I use a great thing called DropBox. It is free. You upload your files and then tell dropbox who can view and download them. You can view and use your own data in dropbox from any computer. They have a paid version too.

Most broadband here is 3MB/sec with some 4 MB. There is also a small amount of 10MB/sec but it is rare.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:26 am

BobLowry wrote:I use a great thing called DropBox. It is free. You upload your files and then tell dropbox who can view and download them. You can view and use your own data in dropbox from any computer. They have a paid version too.

Most broadband here is 3MB/sec with some 4 MB. There is also a small amount of 10MB/sec but it is rare.

Although a bit into the details, most connections are rated between 2 Mb/s and 4 Mb/s which should be written with a lower case b. There is a huge difference between the two in that 1 MB/s is 8 times faster than 1Mb/s.

MB = mega BYTE
Mb = mega BIT

8 bits in 1 byte hence the connection speed with a capital B is not accurate. Now you know why when you have a 4Mb connection that your speed is actually 512Kilobytes/second.

As for the OP, most internet cafes have terribly slow internet and I doubt anyone actually measures them. I'm sure it will take some time to upload it, but fortunately they don't cost too much either.
Ruud
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Ruud » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:14 pm

Upload people, upload. The original poster is asking about a fast connection for upload!

Typically the upload speed will be about 10% of the offered speed.

So a 2Mbs connection wil give you a theoretical upload speed of 200kbs. In reality probably less.

Real life example:

My 4Mbs (Telefonica/Movistar) connection measured at speedtest.net shows:
Download 3.4Mbps and upload only 0.2Mbps
chuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chuck » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:01 am

Ruud wrote:Typically the upload speed will be about 10% of the offered speed.

This appears to be correct, mine is as follows:

There are 10 types of people in the world — those who understand binary, and those who don't.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:30 pm

My best upload speed experience was with Claro USB. They appear to have good internet peering arrangements such that whatever upload speed you can achieve locally is more or less similar to what you'll get while uploading to the US.

That was last year so it could be different now. This year I'm not using Claro because my wife got really pissed at Claro because they wouldn't give us post-pago which comes with 10GB per month, no matter how much we offered to put on deposit. I really didn't care and was fine with paying extra for the pre-pago, which only gives 3GB for 30 days (particularly since I'll only be here for 40 days and it would be a nuisance to have to go cancel the post-pago at the end of the month just before leaving), but my wife was so pissed off that it wasn't an option.

Telefonica home ADSL service, as with any ADSL service, tends to have far higher download speed than upload speed, as someone else already noted. But even without the limitations of ADSL, my experience is that Telefonica significantly throttles both the upload and download speeds to the US.
emanaku
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby emanaku » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:28 am

I uploaded a video of 240 MB with a Claro 3G modem last november in the Sacred Valley - it took about 8 hours.

I tried to use a nextel 3G modem first - but the nextel connections are not so reliable - so after 6 hours there was "a problem" and the movie could not be uploaded further ;-)
So if there is no reliable land line around I would recommend borrow a 3G Claro modem from someone and do it with it over night.

Caveat: Best would be a modem with an illimitado contract - otherwise it gets off the amount of data of the modem owner. As far as I know Claro does not offer illimitado contracts any more.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:10 pm

Here is my movistar connection:

Although it isn't very realistic to test these against the servers in Lima since most internet page views are probably going through the USA.

Here is the same test through Miami:

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register