Should I marry a Peruvian woman for cash

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
wzachmorris

Should I marry a Peruvian woman for cash

Postby wzachmorris » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:39 pm

Greetings friends,
I have been in Peru for two days, I am currently volunteering at a hostel in exchange for room and board. There is a small issue however. I was informed by the hotel staff that the owner´s cousin wants her daughter to marry an American, which in this case is me. Apparently, I could make a lot of money out of the whole deal, my only question is, to what extent would I have to provide for the woman I marry once I marry her? I know that this sounds crazy, but if I were able to marry a peruvian woman, and she were able to obtain citizenship, and I were to recieve a lot of cash and not have any further resposibility, I would love to. Thanks for any advice or input!
Last edited by wzachmorris on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Icachico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Should I marry a Peruvian woman for cash

Postby Icachico » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:41 pm

Greetings!
I'd say go for it.
Don't forget to write us when you get out of the slammer.
Scottperu411
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Scottperu411 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:27 am

....and there it is. The morality/problem with north American people. <sigh>
Go for it. Let her get her green card. Let society pay after you make off with "lots of cash".
After all, it's not like your country has any fiscal cliff problems......
onurinal
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby onurinal » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:12 am

10 years ago maybe but now American Citizenship means nothing at all. You need to be very careful and study the law. Because some countries require that couples must remain married for a period of time. (If you want to remain married happily after ever, forget it) Also if you will divorce after some time, think about compensation that she may be asking. Most of all if you don't love her even not like her, dont ever think of anything about marriage.
vhedges

Postby vhedges » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:35 am

Are you for real? I find it hard to believe anyone would post a question like that on a forum like this.

A couple of things to consider... It's illegal. You could go to jail. She'll have to stay married to you for a while to get her citizenship. She could sue you for support when it's time to end the relationship.... and even if she doesn't, she will at minimum be entitled to half of that "lots of money" you are pondering.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:30 pm

Very likely: you will never get the money. There will always some delay of so kind or a problem.
Most likely: you will 'disappear and your body will never found'.

My suggestion: run away from where you are now as fast as you can. The whole things stinks...in your disadvantage.
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomsax » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:55 pm

If it was for the UK she would only get a 2 year residency reliant on you being able to prove you can fund her such that she would get no state benefits. You would also be prosecuted if it was discoverd you married her as a sham to gain residency.

I'm not a legal expert but in the UK I think on divorce she would be entitled to half your wealth gained while you were a married unit including any inheritancy etc, but I know in the US you can have prenubtial agreements etc. Just be careful.

I was offered a figure by a Colombian girlfriend I had just split up with (a long time ago). She wanted to extend her visa further and was looking at all possibilities. I remember mentioning to my mother almost half joking and she was completely disgusted and shocked. So, also think what your family would think of it.
Tom
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:34 am

It has been done before with varying results. I'd advise against it, but proceed at your own peril.
pyaresquared

Postby pyaresquared » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:42 am

My brother-in-law made a living (sort of) doing this sort of thing with women from Thailand. He managed OK.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:00 am

wzachmorris wrote:Greetings friends,
I have been in Peru for two days, I am currently volunteering at a hostel in miraflores in exchange for room and board. There is small issue however. I was informed by the hotel staff that the owner´s cousin wants her daughter to marry an American, which in this case is me. Apparently, I could make a lot of money out of the whole deal, my only question is, to what extent would I have to provide for the woman I marry once I marry her? I know that this sounds crazy, but if I were able to marry a peruvian woman, and she were able to obtain citizenship, and I were to recieve a lot of cash and not have any further resposibility, I would love to. Thanks for any advice or input!

ZaCH

First comes Green Card (2 years conditional residency if you marry in Peru)
second comes citizenship (2 years of consecutive living in the USA - allotment for vacations)

Besides the criminal element, you will spend at least 4 years with a woman you may not like :-).
inscop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby inscop » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:49 pm

Can you say "marriage fraud?" That is what happens when you, an American named W. Zach Morris announces in a public forum his intent to make money by marrying a Peruvian woman. It is an especially poor decision when you do it where a retired (but still activily engaged) immigration Special Agent (me) hangs out.

Read please: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Marriage_fraud_penalties_US

I don't want you to consider this a threat, but PLEASE don't do anything stupid that might cause someone's patriotism (not necessarily mine) to kick in. I would think from the roundly disapproving posts above that you have already determined this is not a good idea. You would still have to go through the whole divorce process in the US and guess what??? This woman has already proved she can not be trusted. She could take you to the cleaners.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:17 pm

pyaresquared wrote:My brother-in-law made a living (sort of) doing this sort of thing with women from Thailand. He managed OK.

He must have binders full of women by now. :D :D :D
Attachments
23.jpg
23.jpg (41.75 KiB) Viewed 6967 times
renodante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby renodante » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:54 pm

You should never marry a woman for any reason.
Icachico
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Icachico » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:05 am

inscop wrote:Can you say "marriage fraud?" That is what happens when you, an American named W. Zach Morris announces in a public forum his intent to make money by marrying a Peruvian woman. It is an especially poor decision when you do it where a retired (but still activily engaged) immigration Special Agent (me) hangs out.

Read please: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Marriage_fraud_penalties_US

I don't want you to consider this a threat, but PLEASE don't do anything stupid that might cause someone's patriotism (not necessarily mine) to kick in. I would think from the roundly disapproving posts above that you have already determined this is not a good idea. You would still have to go through the whole divorce process in the US and guess what??? This woman has already proved she can not be trusted. She could take you to the cleaners.

What's really nice is to be retired and not having to worry about your ex-wife getting a share of your pension.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:41 am

There is an old song from the USA; "What's love got to do with it" - I forget the artist/band.
I had a gf from Costa Rica; her mother owned over 20 nice rental places - VERY WEALTHY!
I liked the entire family & vice versa; I just couldn't make a life-long committment of marriage.

Now I am in Peru; we are "getting by", but "There's love..." another song I don't have the details of.
There are studies of people who win millions with the lottery; many are even worse off, after the $$$.
Where will you be in your future, when you get seriously sick, etc.???

Don't be tempted by the "green"; follow the GOLD of a lasting, loving relationship...

Philip & Rosmery
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:59 pm

renodante wrote:You should never marry a woman for any reason.

Unless it´s Paris Hilton.
e-peruvian
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby e-peruvian » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:51 pm

Marriage fraud is punishable by up to 5 years in jail and a $250,000 fine. Furthemore, my understanding is that only about 50% of fiance and marital visas are granted, therefore you can't be assured of taking her to the US. In addition if you got caught you may be disqualified from getting a visa for a woman that you really wanted to marry. Also, if you got married in peru and she couldn't get in the US she may be entitled to half of your property in Peru in the event she divorced you. If she got knocked up by someone else while you are married, the baby would be presumed to be your child and you may have to pay child suport for someone elses child. I could go on but I think you get my point
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:32 pm

This may be the funniest thread I've ever read on this forum. :D :lol:
ariel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ariel » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:08 pm

wzachmorris, you're trolling, aren't you? If not, why the silence? I smell something fishy with your post as it seems to elicit the very kind of responses above.

At any rate, I'm pretty sure the FBI is already on your behind on this. So good luck.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:17 am

Saved by the Bell's Zach Morris?
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:26 am

sbaustin wrote:Saved by the Bell's Zach Morris?

Could be Hugh Morris.
BeachVolleyball

Postby BeachVolleyball » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:09 am

My hunch is that the original message was posted by a very young adult, likely just getting started in the world and quite naive. It's possible the responses given were sufficiently good advice and that's it.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, as I am learning ;)

BV
wzachmorris

Postby wzachmorris » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:52 am

Thanks everyone!! After reading over the responses that actualy answered the question I asked and didn´t provide some kind of unappreciated subjective views on morality I have decided that it wouldn´t be worth it to pursue. To the people who found the humor in this, I think that you are awesome. I would really love to do this someday, but it won´t be on this visit to peru.
aki68
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby aki68 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:30 am

I have two words for you.....BAD IDEA!! no make that three....VERY BAD IDEA!!
aki68
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby aki68 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:39 am

Actually...let me add something else...hate to be blunt but anyone with half a brain should know that getting a load of cash with relatively little effort, is going to eventually sometime in the future bite you in the butt and you are going to be crying over a beer regretting even contemplating this idea!
But hey easy money has made people do stupider things!
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:01 am

I agree with Kelly; this is absolutely SILLY!!!
This may be an attempt to "troll"; please don't waste the valuable time of expat posters with this garbage.
You have been advised of all the pitfalls - including being illegal - GET A LIFE!!! :(

Philip
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:28 pm

Philipc4u59 wrote:I agree with Kelly; this is absolutely SILLY!!!
This may be an attempt to "troll"; please don't waste the valuable time of expat posters with this garbage.
You have been advised of all the pitfalls - including being illegal - GET A LIFE!!! :(

Philip

It's your decision to click on the thread, read and respond... If time's being wasted, it's your choice :wink:
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby stuart » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:03 pm

I think the OP should marry an American man where this has been legalized. If it absolutely has to be for money, we could all pitch in I suppose. This is the most obvious option if you think about it - same end result as jail time but a quicker process all in all.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register