Question about "visa run"

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
halfluke

Question about "visa run"

Postby halfluke » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:33 pm

Hi all,

in a month and a half my tourist visa will expire, and I'm planning to have a "visa run" to the Ecuadorian border.

As my flight back to Europe was last December, and I "missed" it on purpose, am I likely to face problems when trying to put my foot in Ecuador, and then back in Peru for (hopefully) 6 more months?

Thanks and regards,
halfluke
Last edited by halfluke on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jalapenomel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Question about "visa run"

Postby Jalapenomel » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:25 pm

I doubt it, but I haven't done the border hop to Ecuador, only Chile.

I have heard that it's pretty shady up there, and you have to be more cautious. A friend went last October, and they overcharged him by 100 soles. Good luck!
DC_20833

Postby DC_20833 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:35 am

Just make sure to have $1.00 for every day you overstayed here in Peru and be very respectful to the Immigrations Officer who you deal with.
halfluke

Postby halfluke » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:55 am

I'm not overstaying, I'm going to do it before my visa expires.

My question is about the lack of a return ticket to Europe (where I come from)

halfluke
ariel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ariel » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:25 am

halfluke wrote: My question is about the lack of a return ticket to Europe (where I come from)

Yep, that's a problem. I had to show my return ticket to the Immigration Officer at the airport, and it's the same regulation regardless of the entry point to Peru. Ecuador could care less as long as you have a forwarding ticket, which in this case is your ticket back here.

I know some folks here will refute that based on their experience (could be a FLUKE) but why take the risk when you know it's the law? Or at least prepare to shell out some cash for the return ticket when they ask for it upon your return at the border. Or you can always try to bribe your way out of it. Good luck!
dh2012
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby dh2012 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:22 pm

It wont be a problem, done it 3 times up there while on holiday on Mancora and it has never been a problem not having a ticket out of Peru. So dont worry about that, just have a excuse as to why you want to go back like to travel more etc etc, they asked me once and i just said i love preu and want to see more etc etc

Just be polite and remember it is not the nicest border crossing, and they are not close together there seems to be 2 large new border crossing points now.
halfluke

Postby halfluke » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:03 pm

ok let's expand the topic a little.

Actually I have a good reason: I'm attending a course at the Catholic University in Advanced methodology in English Teaching (no, it seems they wouldn't help me with a student visa)

What is starting to **** me off, is that Peru has a huge need for English teachers, but so far I haven't been able to find an employer willing to sponsor me for a working visa. And the few schools I've talked to, in person or over the phone, requires a CE already in place. Ok, I'm not a native English speaker, but I lived in UK and Ireland long enough. And I have a Bachelor's. Same problem with my main professional experience, which is IT.

I'm just trying to make a living, or half of it, while getting to know my peruvian girlfriend better, we all know that getting married removes all limits regarding employment.

Two questions:
- Do you know a better location where to cross the border out and back (maybe after 1-2 days?)
- Do you know any language schools who "hire" on a tourist visa or are keen to help with a work permit?

Regards
halfluke
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:10 pm

I crossed the border more than 20 times. When I cross the border, I do that for a week or so. I buy special offers with LAN or TACA. There are many nice places to visit in Latin America.

I never have been asked for a return ticket when entering Peru. I always flew in and out of Lima and always been given 183 days.

If you want to do a border hop overland then I recommended to do that in Brasil or Chile or Bolivia. The border with Ecuador is knows as the worst border crossing in Latin America. Look it up in the Lonely Planet and there will be a lot of warnings.

If you decide to use this border crossing then NEVER TALK TO TRAMITADORES. They promise you for a fee to help you with the immigration paperwork and getting to the border. They are scammers that will rob you. They steal your money and passport. Most commonly they ask tourist to get with them in a car that will drive them over the border but they drive you to a remote area and rob all your belongings and leave you there in the middle of nowhere. TRAMITADORES = CRIMINALS

If you visa isn't expired yet then there's nothing you have to pay to inmigraciones. Don't pay either if they 'invent' fees or fines. And if you pay something always ask for an official receipt.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:17 pm

halfluke wrote:ok let's expand the topic a little.

Actually I have a good reason: I'm attending a course at the Catholic University in Advanced methodology in English Teaching (no, it seems they wouldn't help me with a student visa)

What is starting to **** me off, is that Peru has a huge need for English teachers, but so far I haven't been able to find an employer willing to sponsor me for a working visa. And the few schools I've talked to, in person or over the phone, requires a CE already in place. Ok, I'm not a native English speaker, but I lived in UK and Ireland long enough. And I have a Bachelor's. Same problem with my main professional experience, which is IT.

I'm just trying to make a living, or half of it, while getting to know my peruvian girlfriend better, we all know that getting married removes all limits regarding employment.

Two questions:
- Do you know a better location where to cross the border out and back (maybe after 1-2 days?)
- Do you know any language schools who "hire" on a tourist visa or are keen to help with a work permit?

Regards
halfluke

The best thing is to teach English privately. It will take some time to build a customer base but you have more freedom and can work from home. I often met people who asked me if I could teach them English.

I assume you speak other languages than just English. Teaching other languages pays more than English because there's a larger shortage of teachers.
Last year, I teached someone Dutch and I also translated for some people documents into French.

If you work for a school (especially illegally) then expect harsh working conditions and lousy pay.

Having a CE doesn't mean either you are entitled to work either. In case you get your CE upon marriage then you are allowed to work.
halfluke

Postby halfluke » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:39 pm

Thanks for your useful advices.

Of course I meant a CE obtained thanks to a marriage with a peruvian citizen :)

Ok, I'll choose another destination for my visa run.
I thought that by flight it would be more problematic, as I don't have a "return ticket" at the moment.
Or I could buy a ticket showing that I'm leaving the country at some point, and then ask for a refund.

Any suggestions about how to start building a customer base of language students?

Regards,
halfluke
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:51 pm

halfluke wrote:Thanks for your useful advices.

Of course I meant a CE obtained thanks to a marriage with a peruvian citizen :)

Ok, I'll choose another destination for my visa run.
I thought that by flight it would be more problematic, as I don't have a "return ticket" at the moment.
Or I could buy a ticket showing that I'm leaving the country at some point, and then ask for a refund.

Any suggestions about how to start building a customer base of language students?

Regards,
halfluke

Instead of spending days on buses and going trough all the hassle at border, it's better to fly to a neighbooring country. LAN and TACA often have special offers to Santiago de Chile, Buenos Aires and Bogota. It works cheaper than going overland.

You have to look around in your area to find customers for language courses. Hang up an add at your local bodegas or locutorios. You will find people. If often pass people on the street and ask me if I speak English and are willing to teach them English.
dh2012
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby dh2012 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:22 pm

it is absolutely not cheaper to fly, first you have to get a taxi to the airport then pay 30 bucks to leave along with $350 for your flight. It is no way cheaper...

Just take a bus from Lima to Tacna, the crossing is very simple, easy and safe. You can do it all for around $100.
dh2012
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby dh2012 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:16 pm

Then please point the OP in the direction as to where he can buy a flight like that, in all my time here in Peru have never seen a flight for anywhere near $99 to Santiago. A quick look on Taca, LAN or any flight comparison site will show you that you are giving people false hopes with this red herring.
Damnjoe
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Damnjoe » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:10 pm

I wouldn`t worry about the technicalities too much. Honestly, it is cheaper to just overstay the visa and pay a dollar a day if you live in Lima. They don`t like to give you more than 90 days if you have just been in Peru, so that`s 90 dollars. It`s about a hundred dollars to do the border run if you do it on cheap buses. That´s a 10 dollar loss. I have never been asked about a return ticket, and overstaying the visa is not a big deal here, as long as you just pay the fine.

The border crossing at Aguas Verdes isn`t bad if you speak Spanish and are careful, just kind of a pain because the offices are so far apart. But you are supposed to stay in Ecuador a couple days, or so they told me. Chile is simpler. Brazil you need to get the visa in Lima before they´ll let you enter.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:36 pm

If I am interpreting this last post correctly; there is no need for a "visa run" - just pay the $1.00 @ day???

All this "vias runs" & "border hopping" - is INSANE! If you are contributing to the economy of Peru & haven't been "bad" (nothing illegal); I feel the process of an extension should be more - CONSUMER FRIENDLY!

Just pay a fee & be allowed to stay for another 90-183 days; Peru can see from the passport that you have left & are coming back in a very short period of time (3 -14 days). When you consider this, Peru is actually LOSING REVENUE (except for the airlines); as you are not spending your money - here.

As far as paying the $1.00 @ day fee/fine; don't be influenced into thinking this will not be charged. Maybe on one rare occasion, has a person not been required to pay - but:

1. This fee WILL be collected
2. It is the LAW

Philip :roll:

PS - I am in this "boat" as our paperwork (my Peruvian wife & I) was not accepted; even tho she was advised there would "not be a problem" in person at immigrations in Lince - never changed her DNI to "married". We wasted five (5) hours in line; only to be rudely told "NO" & not allowed access to the Libro de Reclamos!!!
halfluke

Postby halfluke » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:12 pm

Companies are contacting me, as I sent my CV to a bunch of them.

Then the first question is: do you have papers to work in Peru? No? Goodbye. No company even thinking of sponsoring me... I guess it's normal here.

If I want to stay in Peru for good and have some rights, I'll have to get married... Philip, what were you trying to accomplish when you got refused in Lince?

In any case, we shouldn't complain too much as until now we are allowed to stay almost as long as we want, there are countries much worse than Peru when it comes to tourist visas (Thailand, to name one)
Things may change for the worse

Only, it's terribly complicated to work legally without being married to a peruvian...
Last edited by halfluke on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TShadow
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TShadow » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:08 pm

It''s indeed very complicated to work in Peru. As I found out nearly nobody wants to sponsor you, not even if you're willing to pay the expenses. And if you think you can do something on your own, forget it without shelling out $30.000 plus the expenses for your 5 employees. Rules have changed this year, you need to employ them already within the 1st year and in order to get your license you have to show off that you pay them, pay your taxes, etc. Only being married to a Peruvian will ease your trouble. Once you have your family CE, you're allowed to work or to open a Company without putting $30.000 in the bank.

By the way, you should not argue with your wife when it's time to renew your CE, she must sign a warranty for you. You can't imagine how many friends I know, where their wives refuse to do so or are asking money.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:20 pm

Damnjoe wrote:Brazil you need to get the visa in Lima before they´ll let you enter.
]

I've been several times to Brasil and no visa was required. Same for Chile, Argentina, Bolivia and all other Latin American countries. Only for Canada and the US you need a visa if you want to stay there more than 90 days.
halfluke

Postby halfluke » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:06 pm

Just one more little question (sorry if it's off topic):

Does a person lose his right to a CE if he gets divorced from his Peruvian wife?

IF a simple answer for this actually exists... :)
chuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chuck » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:31 pm

halfluke wrote:Just one more little question (sorry if it's off topic):

Does a person lose his right to a CE if he gets divorced from his Peruvian wife?

IF a simple answer for this actually exists... :)

If your CE was issued due to marriage to a Peruvian - YES.
There are 10 types of people in the world — those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Jalapenomel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jalapenomel » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:51 pm

halfluke wrote:Companies are contacting me, as I sent my CV to a bunch of them.

Then the first question is: do you have papers to work in Peru? No? Goodbye. No company even thinking of sponsoring me... I guess it's normal here.

If I want to stay in Peru for good and have some rights, I'll have to get married... Philip, what were you trying to accomplish when you got refused in Lince?

In any case, we shouldn't complain too much as until now we are allowed to stay almost as long as we want, there are countries much worse than Peru when it comes to tourist visas (Thailand, to name one)
Things may change for the worse

Only, it's terribly complicated to work legally without being married to a peruvian...

I taught English for several companies on a tourist visa without any problems at all. I perused the jobs forum here and various other places, submitted my resume and was hired. After working some time, I managed to land a permanent position at private school, which is now sponsoring me for the carnet.

As for flying to Chile (or Argentina and Bolivia), US citizens have to pay a $150 reprocity fee just to enter the country (not by land though), so it is definitely not less expensive for us. I don't know if there is a fee for citizens of the UK though.
london
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby london » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:55 am

Has anybody actually done the Tacna visa hop? I am going to have to go soon, I am going by coach. What is the process, after the coach eventually arrives in Tacna? Are there any do's and don'ts, that I should be aware of?
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:11 am

When my Peruvian wife & I did the "border hop" to Chile in August 2012; we were fortunate to have an excellent Peruvian taxi driver who took us thru customs/immigration at the border & on to Arica, Chile.

I don't have his cell # at my finger-tips; but will find if you desire...

Philip & Rosmery :roll:

PS - we shared his taxi with an archiologist from New York & split the 150 soles fee; plus cultivated a new friendship. We can give you a reference to a clean/reasonably priced motel - also.
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:41 am

I used to do border hops down there in Tacna and had an excellent contact, Juan Carlos; 952384572.

He'll pick you up and get you through the whole process.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:52 am

Any suggestions on places to stay; we paid $40 @ night - but had a 15% discount for staying 3 nights or more.
I made the suggestion of a discount; as I realized the place was no where near capacity at a late hour.
The place has a pool, but in August - the water was very cool; also a small bar & bands on the weekend.

Best wishes,
london
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby london » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:34 pm

Thank you very much, any tips contacts and hotel information is gratefully received. Do any of the taxi drivers speak English? Can you just share taxis with strangers, and share the fares too? How much should you have to pay each way from Tacna to Arica?
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:47 am

I stayed at the Emperador by the main square in Tacna. It's not the best and I do not remember the rate. It was a bit noisy at night so I moved to one of the top floors.

As for the border corssing, you do not necessarily need to stay in or even go to Arica. You can go through the check-points to leave Peru, then enter chile and then simply go around the other side and immediately leave Chile and re-enter Peru. It is ridiculously easy.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:15 am

My understanding (and that of my Peruvian wife) is you need to be out of Peru for 3 days (minimum).
Severl posters have advised that they "left Peru & returned" within hours; what do the statutes say???

Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:03 am

I do not believe that the ''statutes'' say anything on this and it really depends on the mood of the official you get. The Ecuador border is known to be problematic with invented laws such as the one you mention, but the Tacna border is much more relaxed.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:50 am

We always stayed overnight in Arica Chile, not because it was necessary, but because, hey if you travel that far, you might as well enjoy yourself a little. :)

About shared taxis - at the bus station in Tacna, there's a whole bunch of 'colectivo' taxis that make the run. All the drivers are very skilled at getting through the border crossings, they do it all day every day. The cars don't go until they're full - if you want to be comfortable, buy out the whole car. The last time we went, it was about 15 soles per passengers but that's been quite a few years back.

If you do decide to stay in Arica overnight, you can arrange for the same taxista to pick you up in the morning.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:59 pm

My wife & I paid 140 soles; there were 3 total (the archiologist guy).
We only had larger bills, so my wife (over my objection) - paid for the return trip too!
The taxi driver did come back & picked us up - 3 days later... (we did have a cell #).

PS - I will admit that I felt we would be stranded...
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:50 pm

Re: VACATION IN ECUADOR? by alchemist » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:08 pm

I've been to Tumbes by bus with my husband, we had to cross the border to Ecuador, as I needed a stamp in my passport. Just as we got off the bus we were whisked off in a car by three men, "tramitadores".

We drove through a long deserted road to Ecuador, a huge and totally isolated no man's land when one asked for their fee, we answered it was way too high, and one pulled at my passport, trying to take it, I pulled it back saying loudly, lemme get out of the car grabbing the door handle at the same time, and he let go, and then they lowered their price.

Whatever you do don't accept help to cross the border from tramitadores (mostly taxi drivers). There are enough buses that can get you safely and for a very democratic fare accross the border.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:30 am

YES, please subscribe to Chi Chi's wisdom & ADVICE!

There have been people referred herein; also, others are willing to offer you assistance in this regard.
Don't allow a nice vacation (or border hop) to be ruined by such UNSCRUPULOUS people...

amorylove
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby amorylove » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:46 am

Then the first question is: do you have papers to work in Peru? No? Goodbye. No company even thinking of sponsoring me... I guess it's normal here..

From what I've heard, it isn't hard at all to work as a teacher teaching English here... I'm from the US working for a travel agency here and I have a number of friends working for several schools (not sure which particularly) and they say that they all work without work visas (aka on tourist visas)..I was under the impression this was the normal?
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:10 am

As in most countries working on a tourist visa is prohibited in Peru. Yes lots of people do it, but this still doesn't make it right. Luckily at least for the moment nearly no-one really checks, but when I look at the new requirements for visa and hear that border hops aren't as easy anymore, I have the feeling that Peru slowly tightens the possibilities for foreigners.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:39 pm

amorylove wrote:

Then the first question is: do you have papers to work in Peru? No? Goodbye. No company even thinking of sponsoring me... I guess it's normal here..

From what I've heard, it isn't hard at all to work as a teacher teaching English here... I'm from the US working for a travel agency here and I have a number of friends working for several schools (not sure which particularly) and they say that they all work without work visas (aka on tourist visas)..I was under the impression this was the normal?

Getting a job is possible but isn't easy in Peru if you are illegal. Because there aren't many jobs available and many apply for every job offer.
In the US, it's very easy. I worked myself illegally in the US. I have several friends that went to the US recently and they all found a job without any hassle at all. Simply, because there are a lot of jobs available in the US. Look a craiglist and see how many joboffers there are to work in restaurants and hotels.
TShadow
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TShadow » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:07 pm

@sunflower: You're feelings seems right to me. Recently talking with some Italians who came to Peru at the airport they have been given only 90 days even when they asked for the 183 days and a document has been given to them stating the following when asking for the visa extension:

1) Passport with at least 6 month validity
2) Return ticket
3) Police Clearance Certificate (!)
4) A Hotel booking receipt or Holiday Package or alternatively a letter of invitation certified by a Notary and annotated by THE MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS.
5) Certificate of economic solvency, international credit card and / or statement of account or pay envelope of the last three months.

The same news appeared on they site of the Peruvian General Consulate.

Also who is asking for permanent residency after 2 years after being resident here with a family CE, must document an income of 10 UIT yearly, i.e. S/. 3083 monthly.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:42 pm

TShadow wrote:@sunflower: You're feelings seems right to me. Recently talking with some Italians who came to Peru at the airport they have been given only 90 days even when they asked for the 183 days and a document has been given to them stating the following when asking for the visa extension:

1) Passport with at least 6 month validity
2) Return ticket
3) Police Clearance Certificate (!)
4) A Hotel booking receipt or Holiday Package or alternatively a letter of invitation certified by a Notary and annotated by THE MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS.
5) Certificate of economic solvency, international credit card and / or statement of account or pay envelope of the last three months.

The same news appeared on they site of the Peruvian General Consulate.

Also who is asking for permanent residency after 2 years after being resident here with a family CE, must document an income of 10 UIT yearly, i.e. S/. 3083 monthly.

It will be less hassle to them to overstay and pay the $1 a day.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:36 am

Why does Peru make TOURISM - so difficult???
It is my opinion that Peru wishes to be considered more of a tourist destination; then causes all kinds of HASSLES with the DISCRETIONARY amount of time given upon arrival.

Give us EXPATS the maximum of 183 days; we will stay & enjoy the FOOD & spend our $$$ - boosting the economy & possibly considering Peru as a RETIREMENT DESTINATION!

If I was the editor of a BLOG, I would rate Peru very LOW - compared to other tourist-friendly countries.

PS - if I should "disappear" due to my critism of the government - BRING IT ON!!!
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:55 am

Does Peru really make it so difficult for tourist (!!!) ??? I think yes, but not because of the visa issues, but more because of missing infrastructure, long distances, lack of development in the area of tourism, etc.

If we are honest with ourselves, getting a tourist (!) visa for Peru is still very simple for most of us. We just fly in, get up to 183 days, border hop and even can, without fearing any consequences, overstay our tourist visa and just pay US$ 1 per day when leaving. Is this difficult? For me not.

Peru is on the way of getting "unfriendlier" if people try to stay in the country longer than a more or less normal tourist would and could stay. It might be true that tourists and long-term "tourists" are spending lots of money and keeping some economic areas running, but when staying longer than 183 days in Peru you actually have to pay taxes in the country; tourists and long-termers don't do it. Personally I think that's only fair that Peru tightens the laws a bit. Ever spoken to a Peruvian who wanted to get a Schengen or US tourist visa not to speak of a resident visa? Just have a look at the requirements and than reconsider if Peru really makes it so difficult for tourists.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:04 pm

sunflower wrote:when staying longer than 183 days in Peru you actually have to pay taxes in the country; tourists and long-termers don't do it.

Tourists and long-termers pay a lot of taxes.

On everything you buy, you pay IGV.
And if you fly within Peru, you pay an airport tax on top off all the taxes you pay on your flight.

When you overstay then you pay $1 a day. ...Another tax.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:00 am

Philipc4u59 wrote:Why does Peru make TOURISM - so difficult???
It is my opinion that Peru wishes to be considered more of a tourist destination; then causes all kinds of HASSLES with the DISCRETIONARY amount of time given upon arrival.

Give us EXPATS the maximum of 183 days; we will stay & enjoy the FOOD & spend our $$$ - boosting the economy & possibly considering Peru as a RETIREMENT DESTINATION!

If I was the editor of a BLOG, I would rate Peru very LOW - compared to other tourist-friendly countries.

PS - if I should "disappear" due to my critism of the government - BRING IT ON!!!

Philip, try taking your Peruvian wife and family on a vacation to the States and then tell us how far below Peru you would rate "The land of the free" as a tourist destination.
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:24 pm

Consumption tax is not the same as income tax. Tourist visas for North Americans is a joke it's so simple. I spent 7 years in Peru abusing it. I would have applied for a resident visa if there existed one for my situation (foreign income from US company via freelance telecommute software development work). For example, Mexico has a "Rentista" type visa for those on non-fixed incomes which would have suited me perfectly. Seriously, Peru tourism difficult? That is laughable. Why don't you try bringing your wife to the US on a tourist visa? You might sing a different tune.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:42 pm

I have to agree with all the posters that the Tacna run is the easiest. I haven't done it for a while, but I used to get a return flight with Peruvian Airlines (peruvianairlines.com) for about $100. I had a quick look just now and depending on how far in advance you want to book they're advertising flights for $165 return including taxes. Once in Tacna, you can take a combi, a collectivo or a taxi to the border. Everyone says you can return the same day. I personally stayed a few nights in Arica, which is quite a nice town, and had no problems coming back and asking for a six month visa.

The three-day thing before you can return is a rule I encontered at the Ecuadorian border that Ecuador enforces, not Peru. Like the other posters here, I really don't recommend this crossing, unless you fancy being conned, pick-pocketed or even hassled by Ecuadorian border guards. And if you do cross over there's nowhere nearby that you can stay for three nights. You'll have another long bus trip unless you're happy staying in a fleapit by the border. Depending on your budget, another slightly more expensive option is to buy a package holiday. There are often reasonable deals in places like Saga Falabella, Corte Ingles and Nuevo Mundo where you can get deals for between $400-600 per person for a three night stay including accomadation, sometimes food and usually transfers. Might be worth considering doing something like that with your girlfriend. If you're worried about the onward ticket thing, in my experience only airlines have ever queried this, so just travel light with hand luggage and do online checkin to avoid any airline staff. Airlines like Taca also have special offers to certain cities - I saw one recently to Santiago for $300 return.

As regards teaching in Peru, it's relatively easy to get a job without a work permit. Look on the jobs forum on livinginperu.com as small schools often advertise there and it'll usually say in the advert if they want a work visa or not. I'd also exagerate your teaching experience and wing it for them to give you work quicker. The one negative thing of working without a visa for these schools is they'll give you only a limited amount of classes (to keep you off the books and pay you cash in hand) and the classes they give you will be first thing in the morning, from about 7:00 or 7:30 and last an hour and a half, or from 6:00 in the evening. They pay between 24 and 30 soles per hour, but you'll be expected to go to the student's workplace, so if you go buy combi, you could easily spend over an hour travelling there and back.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:34 pm

Sergio Bernales wrote:The three-day thing before you can return is a rule I encontered at the Ecuadorian border that Ecuador enforces, not Peru. Like the other posters here, I really don't recommend this crossing, unless you fancy being conned, pick-pocketed or even hassled by Ecuadorian border guards. And if you do cross over there's nowhere nearby that you can stay for three nights. You'll have another long bus trip unless you're happy staying in a fleapit by the border. Depending on your budget, another slightly more expensive option is to buy a package holiday. There are often reasonable deals in places like Saga Falabella, Corte Ingles and Nuevo Mundo where you can get deals for between $400-600 per person for a three night stay including accomadation, sometimes food and usually transfers. Might be worth considering doing something like that with your girlfriend.Airlines like Taca also have special offers to certain cities - I saw one recently to Santiago for $300 return.

In july, I will be border hopping to Ecuador. Thinking about Guayaquil or Quito. Quito has a brandnew airport, I am interested in flying into that place. TACA and LAN have always great offers to Ecuador. Like Sergio said, I think that's a better option than a 3 days busride, go trough all the dangers and hassle at the border and having to stay in a hole.
london
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby london » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:56 pm

I flew from Lima to Guayaquil last November, and stayed Two nights in Guayaquil. Then I returned to Lima, and got another visa for 183 days without question. Guayaquil is quite interesting for a couple of days, and the airport is only about Fifteen minutes from the centre of the city
In May I have bought return VIP bus tickets with Cruz Del Sur, between Lima and Tacna. Allegedly these VIP seats flatten out similar to a bed, whether or not they actually use one of these VIP equipped buses on the day remains to be seen? I shall stay the First night in Arica and the Second night in Tacna, before returning to Lima.
Having been living in Lima for Ten months now, I do not envisage anything running punctually nor smoothly. But I have to make the journey, and am assured a life experience in one form or another...
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:17 am

I am now concerned, as my wife does have a TOURIST VISA to the US & we plan to visit in 12 months.
Can anyone give me CONCRETE/PERSONAL examples of "problems" visiting the USA - not just "hear-say".

My wife has been to the USA on at least three (3) occasions - as a visiting expert in her field of education; I am an American citizen. As with anyone; I don't like "SURPRISES" that can ruin a vacation.

gwoodgeno

Postby gwoodgeno » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:55 pm

I came to Peru to stay. I intend to get a rentista (i.e. retirement) visa. I just looked at my passport and damm if it says my tourist visa is only good for 60 days.

I have already been here for a month. I cannot apply for the rentista visa if my tourist visa is expired. I expect it will take over a month for me to get my Social Security checks coming to a Peruvian bank and get all the necessary apostilling done before I am ready to apply.

I looked at the DIGEMIN website and it says I CAN apply for a one-time extension of my tourist visa. See:
http://www.digemin.gob.pe/en/servicios_ ... encia.html

So what's the reality here. Has anybody tried to get an extension of a tourist visa recently?
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:20 pm

This only seems to apply to, and I quote, "Foreign nationals and residents of member countries of the Andean Community"

And by the way, as nearly no bank allows tourists any more to open an account, you won't be asked at DIGEMIN to proof that your pension is entering Peru via a financial institution. But you need a proof that you get more than US$ 1000 per month.
london
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby london » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:57 pm

I am going to border hop at Tacna/Arica in May, I shall travel alone. Are there many cheap and cheerful hotels in these locations, or is it advisable to make a reservation in advance? If I use one of the collectivos to cross the border, roughly how much should it cost me?

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register