question on importing vacuum cleaner

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
ltkenbo

question on importing vacuum cleaner

Postby ltkenbo » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:07 am

My girlfriend lives in Lima and I am going to visit her again in March. I work for a vacuum cleaner company and I get free vacuums sometimes. I got one from work that is a prototype/non-release version that is a 240/220 volt (it's still in testing). It is very similar to one on the US market. Anyways, I was wondering about declaring it when entering. If I claim $100 will there be suspicions? It costs us about that much to manufacture them and for parts (plus I got it for free and this particular version is not on the market yet). Do I need documentation to support this? I could declare it more like $200 (it's doesn't cost that much to us, maybe we will end up selling it for more) but what would be the import tax rate on this?

Both times previously I've gotten a green light going through (with nothing to declare) but I don't want to get in trouble for not doing something the proper way. Any advice would be appreciated.

caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: question on importing vacuum cleaner

Postby caliguy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:36 am

ltkenbo wrote:My girlfriend lives in Lima and I am going to visit her again in March. I work for a vacuum cleaner company and I get free vacuums sometimes. I got one from work that is a prototype/non-release version that is a 240/220 volt (it's still in testing). It is very similar to one on the US market. Anyways, I was wondering about declaring it when entering. If I claim $100 will there be suspicions? It costs us about that much to manufacture them and for parts (plus I got it for free and this particular version is not on the market yet). Do I need documentation to support this? I could declare it more like $200 (it's doesn't cost that much to us, maybe we will end up selling it for more) but what would be the import tax rate on this?

Both times previously I've gotten a green light going through (with nothing to declare) but I don't want to get in trouble for not doing something the proper way. Any advice would be appreciated.

definitely claim it on the customs form, and bring any supporting doc that shows the value. if you do not have docs proving the value, the worst case would be for aduana to look in their database for similar vac and value.
i would value it as $100 since it is a prototype. if you do get the red lite (i always do), more than likely, they will just scan your luggage and not do a physical inspection :D
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:17 pm

caliguy wrote: if you do get the red lite (i always do), more than likely, they will just scan your luggage and not do a physical inspection :D

I am always wondering what customs is looking for.

Last september, I got a red light when I came from a flight from Havana, Cuba. I had 750 Cuban Cigars in my suitcase. The maximum allowance is 50 Cuban Cigars. They scanned my bag and didn't say anything and let my pass.
For sure, they aren't looking for Cuban Cigars. And I think that vacuum cleaners aren't on their 'most wanted' list either.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:28 am

I am curious Chi Chi, what would have happened if you were "caught" with the extra 700 cigars?
Would they have confiscated them or charged you such enormous valuations - that all the airport personnel would have been smoking the cigars you had to leave behind?

At what point does a situation with importing; become a CRIMINAL matter?

Philip :roll:
PS - I don't remember being asked to sample one of these???
metal moth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby metal moth » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:29 pm

I brought in 6 caged bottles of Chimay once unclaimed.
Worried that the inflight air pressure might cause them to explode but they were ok.

Got the green light then got my Peruvian friends drunk on some quality ale for a change vs. that lager they always drink.
ltkenbo

Postby ltkenbo » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:33 pm

Philipc4u59 wrote:At what point does a situation with importing; become a CRIMINAL matter?

"If on random inspection a discrepancy is found between the customs declaration and the contents of the baggage, the baggage will be issued an administrative impoundment; if the value of the merchandise subject to the fine is valued at more than 4 tax units (2001 Value of Tax Unit - S/.3000) the district attorney in charge of Customs Judicial Matters will be notified to initiate legal action for the charge of Contraband/Smuggling."

http://www.aduanet.gob.pe/aduanas/version_ingles/informca/TR01EANA.htm
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:34 am

chi chi wrote: I had 750 Cuban Cigars in my suitcase. The maximum allowance is 50 Cuban Cigars. They scanned my bag and didn't say anything and let my pass.

Really -

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=20259&p=104538#p104538
chi chi wrote:After sweating a lot, :evil: I picked it up at the other side and walked off. They didn't want to me to open it to see it.

Luckely because I had 350 Cuban Cigars in it and 9 liters of Rhum. The maximum allowance is 50 cigars and 3 liters of Rhum. :evil:

My gf got a GREEN light and walked through with 5 liters of Rhum and... 250 cigars. :evil: HA HA HA

Or was it....

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=20465&p=105891#p105891
chi chi wrote:I got in September my first red light. Had 350 cuban cigars (12 boxes) in my bag + two behind my belt. It was hot in the airport but wearing my long wintercoat to hide the cigars better. (no suspicions from customs at all???)

:?: :?: :?:

You really should write all these stories down so you can keep them straight, Cheech. :roll:

And might I say - I find Chi Chi's little flights of fancy amusing; but don't want anyone not familiar with him to take any of his "advice" on a serious topic like customs too seriously.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register