Buying a King-sized Bed

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
calledtoperu2009
Gold Member
Gold Member

Buying a King-sized Bed

Postby calledtoperu2009 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:26 am

My wife and I are in the market for a larger bed since our bed is now shooting springs into our backs :)

I was online randomly looking at King-sized beds (on Ripley's website)... knowing that they are ridiculously overpriced. I am wondering if anyone has any bed suggestions, and purchase location suggestions. The money Ripley's is asking for seems a bit unrealistic. But, maybe I am the unrealistic one.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Buying a King-sized Bed

Postby Lloyd007 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:11 am

We have a fabulous king size.

We bought the bed frame from Villa Salvador Parque Industrial where they make a lot of furniture. TIP: Try the back streets there, as the main avenue with the larger shops are much more expensive than the streets that run parallel and to the sides of it.

Then, for the matress, we got it on Av. Angamos direct from the Paraiso matress shop. This is very close to where Av. Panama/Angamos cross.

Pricing... depends what quality you want.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:06 am

Ripley's & Saga Falabella have a nice selection - but extrememly pricey.
You are paying for the ambiance & convenient location - VSPI is a great place to find TRUE VALUE!

Best wishes,
Philip :roll:
Last edited by Philipc4u59 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
calledtoperu2009
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calledtoperu2009 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:52 am

So you guys suggest VS for the frame and the mattress or just the frame?

My concern is that in VS you can't really lay down on the beds... and the frame we got from there a couple of years ago for our queen is falling apart.

What bed brand would you suggest?
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby stuart » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:33 am

I was going to recommend Sueño Centro - their Flex brand is pretty good. Looking for the exact address though, it looks like the place burned down...
http://peru.com/actualidad/mi-ciudad/surquillo-incendio-consume-tienda-colchones-av-angamos-noticia-100019

If the place reopened, I might be a worth checking out.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:20 pm

calledtoperu2009
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calledtoperu2009 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:34 pm

Lloyd007 wrote:
Then, for the matress, we got it on Av. Angamos direct from the Paraiso matress shop. This is very close to where Av. Panama/Angamos cross.

Pricing... depends what quality you want.

So Lloyd- you like your Paraiso? Do you remember which one you purchased. It looks like from an economical standpoint they are the least expensive brand.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:43 pm

In la zona industrial in Villa El Salvador, you can buy the same stuff you have seen at Ripley for a fraction of the price.
Ripley and Saga buy their furniture as well in Villa El Salvador.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:33 pm

If you don't feel like going all the way out to Villa El Salvador, you can go to Plaza Hogar on Angamos, just to the east of Maestro Home Center. It's like an outlet mall for the people at VES. The prices are slightly higher, but you don't have to pay as much for transportation - and it's still cheaper than Ripley/Saga for a lot of the same furniture. Like Chi Chi says, pretty much all of it comes from the same place.

You can get beds and mattresses there, and you can try them out.
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:48 pm

We have a ''Super Star''. It's not top of the range but it does a good job and softer than the more expensive ones.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:02 pm

good info on the mattress posts here. i have the same problem as calledtoperu2009 with the springs protruding out of side of the mattress! i will use this info when getting a new one. thanks :D
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
calledtoperu2009
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calledtoperu2009 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:32 pm

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I am going to keep looking! What I plan on doing is the following:

-I tested out beds in Ripley and had the salesmen give me their pitch. Which also meant they gave me their prices.

-When I spoke with the salesmen, specifically the salesman for Paraiso, he agreed that buying the mattress and platform frame in VS would be the best option.

- One important reminder that I was glad they mentioned is that when buying a king sized bed, most of them are not meant to be flipped over. So the kind that you buy needs to be mold-proof because the frame base that the mattress sits on must be a solid piece of wood. (As opposed to the planks that most frames use.)

So I am going to venture out there in the coming days and see if I can't find the bed I like in Ripley for a lower price in VS. Who knows...

While out there I am going to look into someone making a sectional out of the microfiber material. (So if you guys have any idea of price let me know... I have no idea what something like that will run me.)

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register