Make Sure and Ask for a Boleta

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Make Sure and Ask for a Boleta

Postby sbaustin » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:46 am

We received a generous gift last year that contained a gift certificate to Astrid y Gaston and last night we decided to enjoy a nice meal and a few tragos there (by the way, Thank You). As usual the food and service were good. The total was a little more than the gift cert and we paid with cash and asked specifically for a boleta. He came back with the change and the exact same "NO COMPROBANTE" slip they give you before you pay. I was a little annoyed so I went to talk to the manager on the way out and asked for the boleta. He goes away and comes back and another manager had it in his pocket the entire time.

To be clear, I never really thought the issue was systematic or a general policy, the response we got from Gaston (or handler) was that probably the waiter was trying to game the system and steal the money as opposed to being a general policy to avoid taxes, however it requires collusion between the waiter, manager, and accounting to be able to do this over a period of time (could have been an isolated instance) and as a flagship store it really doesn't reflect well on him.

Anyways, after seeing how much in taxes we pay, my wife has become the boleta police when we go out and she actually wrote to Gaston (he replied or maybe a handler who knows) because if anyone should be paying taxes, it should be Gaston since he is and rightly so championing a lot of Peruvian causes. Anyways, that made me curious and I'd love to know if anyone of you have gone there recently or plan to go to see if they actually give you a real boleta or the fake "No comprobante" especially if you are not Peruvian or with a Peruvian. The "No comprobante" paper says so at the very bottom and the boleta has a serial number toward the top. It should be obvious and I'd love to know what you get (if you pay cash) or your opinion on the matter.

In general if you don't get a boleta from an establishment, it means they aren't paying taxes on that sale. I'm no fan of paying taxes by any means, but that doesn't mean others should game the system or make it easy for their employees to do the same. My two cents.

Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Make Sure and Ask for a Boleta

Postby Philipc4u59 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:01 am

My feelings are that if the TAXES are due on a sale/service; they should be documented for & paid.
I also feel that the high taxes in Peru, discourage accountability with the law & limit investment opportunities.
When will Peru realize that lowering these taxes, will actually enhance the "coffers"/revenue - in the future?

What are similar taxes in other countries; I would appreciate your expertise & how the economy was affected.

Philip :roll:
PS - I doubt I will ever embrace NUISANCE FEES/TAXES - such as the exit fee & others...
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby stuart » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:27 am

There are two types of people who don't pay taxes in Peru - the wealthy and the poor. This is generally reflected in the businesses owned and frequented by the two groups. I've had some of the more upscale places present me with a nota de pedido along with the credit card receipt, as well as just present me with a credit card receipt. I've also had people tell me that they've run out of boletas and they'll be getting more soon. Amaz and La Bisteca are two I remember.

Take into account that people like Gastón, even if he issued a million boletas over the course of the year, buy their new Audi A6s and whatnot under the business's name to minimize the tax they pay, so the money never makes it to the Govt. anyway.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:29 pm

Stuart,

I was making a comment about IGV which is a sales tax and is something that a restaurant and all businesses should be collecting to provide to the government. Whey they charge us for it but do NOT issue a boleta, they don't have to report it and just becomes someone's pocket money.

And you are right, business people do make deductions for things and sometimes those things are in the grey area although in many cases like a $80,000 car, I'm pretty sure the car company is giving 19% of that back to the government in sales and luxury tax.

Restaurants are known to "run out of boletas" although if they have an electronic system it really can't happen (in my case) but the smaller guys I think really push it. I'm pretty sure La Bisteca can't run out of boletas so they were just being unethical. If you still have your receipt you should check it out and see!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:03 pm

My gf always asks for a boleta because she wants to participate with the draw organised with SUNAT.

Do you know that you can win up to 50000 soles with the boletas?

http://www.larepublica.pe/20-10-2012/su ... es-de-pago
Bobby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Bobby » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:13 pm

Well my feelings are that business that don't give a boleta cheat on both sides (i.e. to the client and the State). Like in most countries the IGV is a tax where business act as tax collectors on every sale. Thus if a business doesn't give the boleta then it is stealing the State (putting the tax value into the pocket) and the client (charging him a 21% on the sale).

When I'm in a restaurant I tell the waitress "no boleta, no tip". If that doesn't work out I ask the manager to give me a discount (value of the IGV) since they aren't giving a boleta.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:37 pm

chi chi wrote:My gf always asks for a boleta because she wants to participate with the draw organised with SUNAT.

Do you know that you can win up to 50000 soles with the boletas?

http://www.larepublica.pe/20-10-2012/su ... es-de-pago

My husband is the same way.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register