Teething Gel for a baby

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
chierchio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Teething Gel for a baby

Postby chierchio » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:53 pm

I hope this fit's in the offtopic section.

I am curious what the equivalent for Orajel or Ambesol for babies in Peru might be called.
My wife is dead against this, but I think as the baby starts complaining more and more, she may change her mind.
Any recommendations?

Thanks

Chris from Canada
Kelly

Re: Teething Gel for a baby

Postby Kelly » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:14 pm

'After I had oral surgery, my husband bought something called "Happy Dent" that says "uso pediatrico" right on the little tube. The Ingredient is benzocaina.

I imagine if you describe what you need to the pharmacist, they'll know what you're talking about.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:33 pm

Pisco works a treat :twisted:
sidro
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sidro » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:18 pm

Put some whiskey on your finger and rub the gums of the baby. It wrks instantly and doesn´t upset their stomach like Orajel does. And if the crying doesn´t stop, take a big slug for yourself.
chierchio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby chierchio » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:53 pm

I forgot about this post! Where can I get baby whisky! LOL!!! :D :lol:
Chris from Canada
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:39 pm

chierchio wrote:I forgot about this post! Where can I get baby whisky! LOL!!! :D :lol:

:lol: some funny posts for a baby teething prob.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:57 am

A natural home remedy I've used (for myself, an adult) when I've had canker sores, is clove water. You take about 1 cup of water, half a packet of cloves and boil. That stuff numbs you silly. What I do was like a mouth wash and then spit put. It occurs to me you can make this and rub it on your baby's gums. Of course, consult with your peditrician first!

Even if whisky is "effective" (for both parents and baby), I don't think you should feed it to your baby, remember that your child's body will absorb the whisky, and their little bodies have no tolerance to it, and it kills braincells.
Regards,

Argidd
sidro
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sidro » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:21 pm

argidd wrote:A natural home remedy I've used (for myself, an adult) when I've had canker sores, is clove water. You take about 1 cup of water, half a packet of cloves and boil. That stuff numbs you silly. What I do was like a mouth wash and then spit put. It occurs to me you can make this and rub it on your baby's gums. Of course, consult with your peditrician first!

Even if whisky is "effective" (for both parents and baby), I don't think you should feed it to your baby, remember that your child's body will absorb the whisky, and their little bodies have no tolerance to it, and it kills braincells.

Give me a break! I said put a dab on your finger and rub the gums of the child. Not to give a shot glass to the little bugger! Holy cow, what an alamist! CHEEZ!
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:35 pm

Sidro, never did I say that doing this was going to kill a child, or a horrible thing, I said it kills braincells.
BUT, going in and doing some research, I think my answer was short of alarm.
I'm not a doctor, but the person who wrote it is. If you think she is an alarmist, then perhaps you can contact her and ask to explain, or express your disapproval of her statement. http://edition.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/expe ... hing.gums/

Living Well Expert Dr. Jennifer Shu, Pediatrician
Children's Medical Group

Expert Answer:

When a baby is teething, remember that there are some natural remedies you can try first to reduce the discomfort. Gently massage the gums with a small washcloth; this action may help soothe the sore spots while also soaking up any excess drool. Children may also feel better if they gnaw on chilled, but not frozen, teething rings or safe toys made of rubber, unpainted wood or cotton terrycloth. Some parents allow their children to chew on teething biscuits (beware, some of these can be messy), frozen waffles or cool firm slices of fruit. Just be sure your child is sitting up while eating and under adult supervision at all times to avoid choking. Finally, you can also try other drug-free methods of making your child feel better, such as rocking, holding, singing, offering a pacifier, or distracting him with a toy.

If you're looking for a product to help with more significant discomfort, over-the-counter pain relievers such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen given in the appropriate dose for a child's weight can take the edge off of teething pain. It is a good idea to talk with your baby's doctor before using numbing gels or homeopathic remedies. Numbing products are best used by putting a small amount only on the sore area of the gum. If a baby gets too much, the throat can become numb and it may cause problems with swallowing. Finally, although past generations of parents have used brandy or whiskey to soothe teething pain, no amount of alcohol is thought to be safe for infants so resist any urges you may have to follow in that tradition.

Remember that the symptoms of teething may mimic that of mouth sores or other infections so check with your pediatrician if your baby's pain lasts longer than a few days or if he has other symptoms such as fever, extreme fussiness or poor eating.
Regards,

Argidd
sidro
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sidro » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:49 pm

argidd wrote:Sidro, never did I say that doing this was going to kill a child, or a horrible thing, I said it kills braincells.
BUT, going in and doing some research, I think my answer was short of alarm.
I'm not a doctor, but the person who wrote it is. If you think she is an alarmist, then perhaps you can contact her and ask to explain, or express your disapproval of her statement. http://edition.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/expe ... hing.gums/

Living Well Expert Dr. Jennifer Shu, Pediatrician
Children's Medical Group

Expert Answer:

When a baby is teething, remember that there are some natural remedies you can try first to reduce the discomfort. Gently massage the gums with a small washcloth; this action may help soothe the sore spots while also soaking up any excess drool. Children may also feel better if they gnaw on chilled, but not frozen, teething rings or safe toys made of rubber, unpainted wood or cotton terrycloth. Some parents allow their children to chew on teething biscuits (beware, some of these can be messy), frozen waffles or cool firm slices of fruit. Just be sure your child is sitting up while eating and under adult supervision at all times to avoid choking. Finally, you can also try other drug-free methods of making your child feel better, such as rocking, holding, singing, offering a pacifier, or distracting him with a toy.

If you're looking for a product to help with more significant discomfort, over-the-counter pain relievers such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen given in the appropriate dose for a child's weight can take the edge off of teething pain. It is a good idea to talk with your baby's doctor before using numbing gels or homeopathic remedies. Numbing products are best used by putting a small amount only on the sore area of the gum. If a baby gets too much, the throat can become numb and it may cause problems with swallowing. Finally, although past generations of parents have used brandy or whiskey to soothe teething pain, no amount of alcohol is thought to be safe for infants so resist any urges you may have to follow in that tradition.

Remember that the symptoms of teething may mimic that of mouth sores or other infections so check with your pediatrician if your baby's pain lasts longer than a few days or if he has other symptoms such as fever, extreme fussiness or poor eating.

I repeat--------GEEEEEEZZZZZZZZ!

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register