Vehicle permit

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
phendrixx

Vehicle permit

Postby phendrixx » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:31 am

Hi there!

A while ago we discussed in another topic (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20856) the possibility of registering a foreign vehicle in Peru (obtaining a Peruvian plate).
I have let go of that idea, but i still have a motorcycle in my garden that ran out of permiso like half a year ago. I don't really feel comfortable about it. I already left the country and returned once (when the permiso had already ran out) without a problem, but i am up for a visa renewal again shortly. If someone could tell me more on the following, that would be great.

1. Would there be any possibility to get in trouble over this vehicle at some point in time? For example when leaving the country, applying for visa, buying a vehicle in Peru, etc.. ? I know there would be a warrant on this vehicle, but would it 'pop up' on some computer screen when dealing with migracion or aduana later in time? If not, than i could just dispose of the bike, selling it as scrap metal or something.
2. Is there a way to dispose of this vehicle legally at this moment still, without risking being fined or anything for overstaying all that time? I would prefer to get it sorted out legally.

Thanks a lot, hope someone can help out!

stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Vehicle permit

Postby stuart » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:26 pm

phendrixx wrote:I would prefer to get it sorted out legally.

People who do things the legal way and the right way often find themselves severely punished or at a massive disadvantage in Peru. The systems are set up so that going about things by the book gives many people the opportunity to take little bites out of you for being such a naive and easy target. I recommend you only do things legally in Peru if you can find more than a couple of people who've gone through the process and had a good result. You probably should have reported it stolen when the permiso ran out.
phendrixx

Re: Vehicle permit

Postby phendrixx » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:10 pm

Yes, i can totally see that kind of things happening when i would want to do it all legally now. I was supposed to just leave the country without the bike, but things turned out different. I am now staying..

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register