US Citizen with DNI Not Voting

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
inscop
Gold Member
Gold Member

US Citizen with DNI Not Voting

Postby inscop » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:29 pm

Not saying this is the case, but IF I happened to be married to a Peruvian born lady who has been in the US since she was eight years old, who has a DNI, is a US naturalized citizen and has never voted in a Peruvian election, how serious are they about that? I understand it is mandatory for Peruvians to vote even if they live outside the country. What happens if you do not?

We are heading that way in April and she is a bit nervous about bringing her DNI.

viernes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: US Citizen with DNI Not Voting

Postby viernes » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:39 pm

Well if your hypothetical wife was traveling on a US passport, then there would be no need to get her DNI worked out. If she were planning on staying for a long time and wanted to get it worked out, then she could probably get it done through the Peruvian Consulate in the US. I believe it entails paying a fine for each missed election, but I may be mistaken, and I think they let it slide if you can prove that you were out of the country. But if she no longer has a valid Peruvian Passport (another thing that could be remedied at the Peruvian consulate but is probably not necessary if she travels on the US passport), I don't know because I believe that they give you the stickers that prove you voted in an election when you show them your passport saying you were out of the country.

Maybe, Send this hypothetical question to the Peruvian Consulate, they often respond to emails.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:08 pm

If the DNI is registered with a foreign address, then you don't pay a multa for not voting. If you are however selected to be Miembro de Mesa, then you get a multa if you don't assist.

You can check out on this website http://200.37.211.185/UCC/ConsultaExterna/wf_ConsultarMultasCiudadano.aspx if you have a multa open.
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:29 am

You pay fines for Presidential elections only, not municipal elections. I had to pay fines for the Presidential elections I did not vote (even though I have a registered USA address in my DNI).
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomsax » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:17 pm

Mammalu, good to see you back on the forum. I've been missing you for a long time!

My wife didn't vote in the last presidential election but is convinced a fine is not due as her DNI address is in the UK. Is this something she should check again? What if you don' t pay it for many years? We seem to have had no problem entering and leaving Peru last year!

Tom
Tom
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:17 pm

I'm pretty sure that's a rule that just changed in the last few years, about those with addresses outside of Peru not having to vote. I'm sure a good googling would find the information.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:53 pm

Have a look at http://www.web.onpe.gob.pe/modCompendio/html/procesos%20electorales/Resolucion-N-052-2012-P-JNE-Reglamento-de-Multas-Electorales.html

There it says you get a multa if you live in Peru and don't vote, or live out of Peru, and don't assist as a miembro de mesa.
Look at 'Definiciones N° 6 indice h.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:54 pm

Do not worry about that . Nobody checked if I voted or not when I returned from The U.S.A. at the end of 2011.
metal moth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby metal moth » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:06 pm

My wife didn't vote in the last Peruvian presidential election & was in Peru last year.

She has a registered US address on her DNI and didn't have to pay a fine.
jtafur

Postby jtafur » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:40 am

I was a little concerned about this too since I had a relative who was fined for this decades ago. But, like everyone said, they must have changed the rule for those of us abroad. I am an peruvian born american citizen. I went down to the consulate in Chicago last fall and got my DNI no problem. :D Just make sure you have recent copy of your birth certificate that can be "fetada".

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register