Anybody knows details of the new law for returning Peruvians

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Frans
Silver Member
Silver Member

Anybody knows details of the new law for returning Peruvians

Postby Frans » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:28 pm

My Peruvian/Dutch wife and myself intend to go and live in Lima by end 2016. Our appartment (El Rancho) is already being build etc. One item I always hear is that importing any household items or cars is not recommended because of the high TAX. We will keep our house in Holland but we currently living in Qatar and we need to decide by that time if we sell all our belongings in Qatar or if we move it all to Peru.

But I was reading today in the Peruvian Times that the president of Peru signed a new law which should it make easier for returning Peruvians. Does anybody knows the details of this new law and if this would be applicable for a somebody who lived outside Peru as of 1998.. (but I doubt if my wife ever formally advised she left the country.. but she can proof she lived overseas because in all countries we lived we had resident permits). If nobody knows.. does then anybody has an idea where we can get this info.. We going back to Peru on Holiday in June and we can the check it ourselves.. but perhaps if anybody knows it is might also interesting for others who are returning.

Does anybody has a clue ???

Suzanne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Anybody knows details of the new law for returning Peruvians

Postby Suzanne » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:10 pm

This law is a variation of the previous Ley de Incentivos Migratorios. The Peruvian has to have been out of the country for more than 4 years (no limit on how long). Apparently Peruvians forced back to Peru on account of their illegal status abroad can also take advantage of the law, the difference being they have to have been gone for more than 2 years.

Re proving how long your wife has been out of Peru, the previous law required migratory proof. This can be obtained from Inmigraciones in Breña when you are in Lima. Every time you enter and leave Peru a computerised record of dates is kept and you used to need the present the print-out of this. It is not complicated to obtain.

The old law dictated you could bring household effects but that they had to arrive in Peru within 6 months of your arrival. Again according to the old law, you were not permitted to have spent more than one month in Peru during the five years prior to your homecoming (probably because this longer period was too long to be considered a vacation). You could import a car or buy a new car here free of tax; the engine used to have to be less than 2l. This permitted the purchase of a car with a saving of nearly 30% on the purchase price. I must stress that these are the conditions of the old law. The new law may have similar stipulations.

It appears that the specifics of the new law have yet to be published. The details of new laws are published in El Peruano, the official publication of the Peruvian parliament.

Good luck!
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:21 pm

Suzanne wrote:This law is a variation of the previous Ley de Incentivos Migratorios. The Peruvian has to have been out of the country for more than 4 years (no limit on how long). Apparently Peruvians forced back to Peru on account of their illegal status abroad can also take advantage of the law, the difference being they have to have been gone for more than 2 years.

The ones that have been legal in other countries must have been away for more than 4 years. The ones that have been illegal only 2 years. So, it pays to be illegal.
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:53 pm

Has anybody ever met someone that was able to take full advantage of the previous
law.
Frans
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Frans » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:56 pm

interesting.. My only worry is that my wife and two kids always return between Mid June and end of August in Peru.. The American school overseas is then closed and we use that time to bring our kids to Peru for part of their holiday to be in a Peruvian school to keep up with the (Peruvian) Spanish language and Peruvian culture... But this might kill te option for us now... 6 weeks a year is for sure more than one month in 5 years... Lets hope the new law will give us some more space in that respect.. thanks for all the advice... And if somebody finds sooner or later a copy of th new law.. Then I would appreciate if hey can forward or publish or summarize. If We don't have to pay tax then we likely will ship our goods and our two cars.

Thanks !!!
ExpatPeruMods
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ExpatPeruMods » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:28 pm

Maybe this can help you...

Peruvian President Ollanta Humala on Wednesday signed the Law of Economic and Social Reintegration for the Returned Migrant, which provides incentives for Peruvians to return to the country.During a ceremony at the Government Palace in Lima, President Humala said the initiative is a response to the increasing number of expatriates who returned home after decades living abroad, especially from countries in difficult economic timeshttp://www.andina.com.pe/Ingles/noticia-peruvian-president-enacts-law-to-attract-expatriates-450908.aspx
Frans
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Frans » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:36 am

This is the URL which triggered my question.. But it doesn't give any details.. That is why I asked if anybody has more info..or knows where to get it. :wink:
Tracyrteach
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Tracyrteach » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:13 am

Hi there, my wife and I took advantage of this law back in July of 2012. We have been living in New York for the last nine years and have moved back to Peru. I am American and my wife is Peruvian. For the most part it is a very good opportunity. We shipped our belongings in a container from New York and I only had to pay very minimal taxes. I had to pay tax for a sleeping bag, a few fans and two surfboards (????). One of the surfboards I bought in Peru and took with me back to United States a few years ago. The rules for importing a car are more strict. For example, it cannot be more than five years old. I got burned, because I was trying to bring a 2008 model, but it was actually manufactured December 2007. Even though our container arrived August 2012, they look at the year of manufacture not the month. I left it behind, when I learned of this rule. I have heard taxes range from 15 to 30% for a vehicle. The other requirement for a vehicle, is the size of the motor cannot be larger than 2000cc, or basically a small to midsize car. Customs in Peru was very meticulous about the list we had to have typed up of all of the belongings and boxes. I purchased a brand-new 55 inch flat screen a month before shipping the container. They asked to see the TV, but they did not charge any tax on it.
My email is [email protected] if you have any further questions.
Good luck!
Tracyrteach
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Tracyrteach » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:15 am

I also visited the Peruvian consulate in NY a few times and my wife cleared up remaining questions in Lima with Aduanas. Same question, different answers between the consulate and Aduanas. Listen to Aduanas!
falconagain
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby falconagain » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:39 pm

Tracyrteach wrote:Hi there, my wife and I took advantage of this law back in July of 2012. We have been living in New York for the last nine years and have moved back to Peru. I am American and my wife is Peruvian. For the most part it is a very good opportunity. We shipped our belongings in a container from New York and I only had to pay very minimal taxes. I had to pay tax for a sleeping bag, a few fans and two surfboards (????). One of the surfboards I bought in Peru and took with me back to United States a few years ago. The rules for importing a car are more strict. For example, it cannot be more than five years old. I got burned, because I was trying to bring a 2008 model, but it was actually manufactured December 2007. Even though our container arrived August 2012, they look at the year of manufacture not the month. I left it behind, when I learned of this rule. I have heard taxes range from 15 to 30% for a vehicle. The other requirement for a vehicle, is the size of the motor cannot be larger than 2000cc, or basically a small to midsize car. Customs in Peru was very meticulous about the list we had to have typed up of all of the belongings and boxes. I purchased a brand-new 55 inch flat screen a month before shipping the container. They asked to see the TV, but they did not charge any tax on it.
My email is [email protected] if you have any further questions.
Good luck!

Thank you for your detailed description.
kpw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby kpw » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:12 pm

falconagain wrote:Has anybody ever met someone that was able to take full advantage of the previous
law.

I wanted to take advantage of the old law but after careful consideration I opted to pay taxes on the stuff I brought in.

That meant I paid about 1000 USD import tax on used household goods, but it also meant I would not have the SUNAT on my back for the next 5 years checking my business/personal.
kpw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby kpw » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:19 pm

Here is the law called "Ley de Reinserción Económica y Social para el Migrante Retornado"

http://www.embaperu.ch/images/documento ... ornado.pdf
Frans
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Frans » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:54 am

This is extreme useful.. thanks... This is what I was looking for... Thanks :D

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register