Traveling international from Peru with dual citizenship baby

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
flyingdog

Traveling international from Peru with dual citizenship baby

Postby flyingdog » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:01 pm

Hello,

My wife, son and I currently live in Lima. We're planning on taking a trip to Poland in June/July sometime.

We currently traveled to Chili, and when going through the airport I stupidly showed the person checking Identifications my son's American passport, instead of his Peruvian passport. When this happened, the airport employee told us we would need to pay for the x amount of days my son has been in Peru (he was born here, and has never left to any other country outside of SA). Because apparently he has overstayed his Visa. So instead we showed him his Peruvian passport, and all was well.

Now, the issue or the question that comes up for us is will my son be able to leave Peru on his Peruvian passport in order to go to Poland? Once we arrive in Poland, we would just use his American passport? In Chili it was different because we could leave and arrive both on his Peruvian passport without a problem.

I would very much appreciate if anyone had advice on how to handle this.

Thanks

gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Traveling international from Peru with dual citizenship baby

Postby gerard » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:57 pm

Your son should leave Peru with his Peru passport and enter Poland with his US passport, then leave Poland with his US passport and enter Peru with his Peru passport. It's pretty normal.
kpw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby kpw » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:53 pm

Your son is Peruvian and by law he should always enter and leave the country with his Peruvian passport. Peruvians are allowed double nationality, but should respect this law.

But beware, if only one person needs to leave Peru with him, then you will need a "permiso notarial" or legalized permit for your son to travel with only one parent. If you want to avoid this enter with your foreign passport. They will give you max 163 days a permit to be in the country.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:25 pm

Maybe You do not know it , but peruvians need a schengen visa to enter to any country of E.U. and Poland is part of the E.U.
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gerard » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:09 pm

But he can enter with the US passport.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:55 pm

Sure He can enter Poland with the U.S. passport but what about the stamp when He leave when He enter to other country and when He return to Peru customs will check it out and there will be a problem .
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gerard » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:03 pm

Sure He can enter Poland with the U.S. passport but what about the stamp when He leave when He enter to other country and when He return to Peru customs will check it out and there will be a problem .

??

Why would Peru customs care if he's been to Poland with a US passport. I see loads of people with US/Peru passports every time I travel, and I've been all over the place with my UK passport and then back to Peru with my Peru one. You don't even need to show your other passport when you re-enter Peru.
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:17 am

The rule leaving on the Peruvian passport and entering the other country on your US / European passport is clear for me; but which passport do you show when checking in and which passport number should be on the ticket?

Assuming my son has a Peruvian and German passport and wants to fly back to Germany. When he shows his Peruvian passport when checking in they will ask for his visa which he of course doesn't have. So for the check-in at Lima airport (and ticket) he needs to use his German passport. Correct? Then at immigrations he just shows his Peruvian passport? Don't they check the passport number on the ticket? And then when he is flying back he of course only has a return ticket to Peru. So when he is checking in at the German airport he must use his German passport, because it's on the ticket, but then they will ask for a return or onward passage. I'm confused. Can anyone explain to me how it works.
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gerard » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:38 am

Check-in are only interested whether you're valid to fly to wherever you're going. I generally check-in with my UK passport as it lets me go to more places visa-free, then go through immigration with my Peruvian passport (which I must as a Peruvian).

On my return trip I use my UK passport, and if they happen to ask then I show my Peruvian passport also.

There's no passport number on the ticket as far as I know - just your name. I guess for women that might lead to additional complications - my wife for example has my surname on her UK passport but her Peruvian surnames on her Peruvian passport. But she's travelled on tickets in her married name and gone through immigration with her Peru passport without problem. They often hand me my boarding card back without even looking at it and just grunt "que vuelo".
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:51 am

Thanks for the info! That was really helpful!
perico pin pin

Postby perico pin pin » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:58 pm

so if a came to peru with a us passport..
(and also have my peruvian passport since 2007 wich i havnt yet used)
if i overstayed my 183 days, i can just go out with my peruvian passport and there be no problem??
wont they ask for my tarjeta andina??
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:25 pm

perico pin pin wrote:so if a came to peru with a us passport..
if i overstayed my 183 days, i can just go out with my peruvian passport and there be no problem??
wont they ask for my tarjeta andina??

In that case you should enter Peru with your Peruvian passport, and leave also with your Peruvian passport. In the foreign country ( Poland, US or whatever ) you enter with your foreign passport as you don't need a visa.

If you entered Peru on a US passport as a tourist, you must leave as a US tourist ( and maybe paying the fine if you overstayed ), but probably they won't make you pay but tell you that next time you enter with your Peruvian passport. It will depend on the mood of the immigration officer. So why risk that if you can simply enter with your Peruvian passport ?
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gerard » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:32 am

so if a came to peru with a us passport..

You might want to check the expiry date in that Peruvian passport...
nieves

Postby nieves » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:56 am

We normally do the change of passport when entering/leaving Peru (Peruvian and EU passports). So far we have only been flying directly from Europe to Peru with EU carriers but this time we are considering flying through the US. Are US carriers likely to give us any problems when doing this? From my experience they are generally more picky on these kind of things. Anyone who has done this?
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gerard » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:07 am

You'll need to clear immigration in the USA even if you are only transiting through it, which means you'd need to get ESTAs using your EU passports, assuming you're on the list. It's easy enough and you do it all online, but there is a $14 per person cost. They last for 2 years and you can't even check-in if you haven't got them.

Other than that, you'd need a visa. The carriers themselves shouldn't care which passports you're using at any stage provided they have the valid ESTA/visa.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:36 am

gerard wrote:You'll need to clear immigration in the USA even if you are only transiting through it, which means you'd need to get ESTAs using your EU passports, assuming you're on the list. It's easy enough and you do it all online, but there is a $14 per person cost. They last for 2 years and you can't even check-in if you haven't got them.

Other than that, you'd need a visa. The carriers themselves shouldn't care which passports you're using at any stage provided they have the valid ESTA/visa.

They don't care, and they are pretty used to handling people with double nationalities, as are American immigrations officials. I know my parents were asked to produce their Peruvian Passports entering Miami (they were entering as EU nationals with ESTAs and everything), they showed the Peruvian Passports, the guy looked at them, and gave them back. Easy peasy, I guess he was just curious, perhaps because both my parents have had American visas on their Peruvian Passports?
Regards,

Argidd
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:26 am

Don't forget if leave Peru with children and only one parent is traveling, then you have to have notarized permission from the absent parent to take the kids out of Peru. That is why when my wife travels alone with our twins, she comes and goes and only shows my kid's US Passport. The immigration officials said if they come and go on the US passport, they do not need the permission slip. I have never shown their Peruvian passport to anyone while traveling.
nieves

Postby nieves » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:43 pm

Thanks for the replies!! I just booked our flights through Newark. Quite a difference in price comparing to changing in Amsterdam. Another question. My wife has an extra last name in her EU passport which also is on the ticket. Could this cause an issue at migraciones in Lima which will be the first time she will be using her peruvian passport? Or will this go unnoticed? Thanks again for the information!!
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:05 am

:D My poor wife, when we married in Peru, they insisted on putting my suffix after de "de" part of my name she had to take! So now she is a "Junior" to go along with her two last names and mine to boot! It causes problems of sometimes a second look but most people understand! :P In the US it does not fit on the tax forms, but heck, she is just a SSN to them here anyway!

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register