Beer Distributors Lima

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
James Rothschild

Beer Distributors Lima

Postby James Rothschild » Wed May 01, 2013 6:00 pm

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping someone might have some information on beer distributors in Lima that I could speak with. I may have an inroad to importing some good beer into Peru, but I need some advice and information from someone who know more of the specific logistics involved here. Any information or contacts are much appreciated! Thanks,

James

Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Beer Distributors Lima

Postby Alpineprince » Wed May 01, 2013 7:33 pm

victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Wed May 01, 2013 9:03 pm

victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Wed May 01, 2013 9:20 pm

Discos and bars in Miraflores
http://www.jaraneros.com/distrito/miraflores.html
Discos, bars and pubs in Barranco
http://www.jaraneros.com/distrito/barranco.html
Discos, bars and karaokes in San Borja
http://www.jaraneros.com/distrito/san-borja.html
Discos , bars and pubs in Surco
http://www.jaraneros.com/distrito/surco.html
Discos, bars and cocktail lounges in Asia beach boulevard and Punta hermosa beach
http://www.asiaperu.info/guia-peru/dive ... sa-pub.php
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Wed May 01, 2013 10:20 pm

James Rothschild wrote:Hi Everyone,

I was hoping someone might have some information on beer distributors in Lima that I could speak with. I may have an inroad to importing some good beer into Peru, but I need some advice and information from someone who know more of the specific logistics involved here. Any information or contacts are much appreciated! Thanks,

James

What do you call "good beer"
Supermarkets such as Vivanda and Wong have a few good European beers, but the prices compared with Peruvian brands are not very appealing.
You're not the first person to mention such a business venture and probably won't be the last, but I think if you do your research properly you'll find that your market is very limited and it's unfortunately not going to make you the millions that you might be thinking of.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Wed May 01, 2013 10:39 pm

panman wrote:What do you call "good beer"

Any beer from Belgium.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Thu May 02, 2013 6:32 am

chi chi wrote:
panman wrote:What do you call "good beer"

Any beer from Belgium.

I can't disagree with that. A few of the things that you can rely on Belgium for are excellent beer, chocolate, and of course chips.
I actually picked up a bottle of Duvel in Wong last night and held it for a moment whilst it brought back many happy memories, but then put it straight back down due to the non democratic price :(
sidro
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sidro » Thu May 02, 2013 10:37 am

James

Actually, Peru beers aren´t too bad, but if you could bring in some Budweiser (real Bud, not Light), that would be great!
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Thu May 02, 2013 11:47 am

sidro wrote:

James

Actually, Peru beers aren´t too bad, but if you could bring in some Budweiser (real Bud, not Light), that would be great!

By "real Bud" I assume you mean the origional Czech Budvar and not that rubbish brewed by Anheuser-Busch :twisted:
Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Josh2U » Thu May 02, 2013 12:13 pm

Well said.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu May 02, 2013 12:25 pm

panman wrote:I actually picked up a bottle of Duvel in Wong last night and held it for a moment whilst it brought back many happy memories, but then put it straight back down due to the non democratic price :(

I am agree. It's called extorsion.
tomasb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomasb » Thu May 02, 2013 1:18 pm

Regarding Budvar and the non beer from the US known as Budweiser. This from Wikipedia. I bet you could not find one BUDVAR in the entire country of Peru. Well, maybe an empty bottle.

Since the companies had or have trademarks for the name "Budweiser," they have been party to many lawsuits in a number of countries. Because of such disputes, Czech Budvar is sold in North America under the label Czechvar and American Budvar is labelled as Bud in all European Union markets, except for Ireland and the United Kingdom.

In the European Union (EU), Budějovický Budvar is recognized as a product with Protected Geographical Indication. However, the trademark rights to the name Budweiser for some products other than beer are owned by Anheuser-Busch.[6]

In early 2007, Anheuser-Busch and Budvar reached an agreement that stated that Anheuser-Busch would market Budvar/Czechvar in the United States and several other countries for an undisclosed fee. However, both sides stated that this did not affect their lawsuits. Czechvar is listed in Anheuser-Busch's product lineup with brief product info sheet.

In March 2009, Anheuser-Busch lost an appeal against the EU's Office for Harmonisation in the Internal Market (OHIM) decision to reject the registration of Budweiser as an EU-wide trademark for beer for Anheuser-Busch. The court pointed out that Budějovický Budvar had proven that it had been using the trade mark during at least the five years preceding the publication of Anheuser-Busch's application for a Community trade mark. The decision also covers malted non-alcoholic beverages (such as non-alcoholic beer).[7]

On 29 July 2010, Anheuser-Busch also lost its last-instance appeal against this decision. This means that Anheuser-Busch may not register the name Budweiser as an EU-wide trademark for beer. In Germany and Austria in particular, only Budějovický Budvar is allowed to use the trademark Budweiser.[8]
sidro
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sidro » Thu May 02, 2013 4:07 pm

tomasb wrote:Regarding Budvar and the non beer from the US known as Budweiser. This from Wikipedia. I bet you could not find one BUDVAR in the entire country of Peru. Well, maybe an empty bottle.

Since the companies had or have trademarks for the name "Budweiser," they have been party to many lawsuits in a number of countries. Because of such disputes, Czech Budvar is sold in North America under the label Czechvar and American Budvar is labelled as Bud in all European Union markets, except for Ireland and the United Kingdom.

In the European Union (EU), Budějovický Budvar is recognized as a product with Protected Geographical Indication. However, the trademark rights to the name Budweiser for some products other than beer are owned by Anheuser-Busch.[6]

In early 2007, Anheuser-Busch and Budvar reached an agreement that stated that Anheuser-Busch would market Budvar/Czechvar in the United States and several other countries for an undisclosed fee. However, both sides stated that this did not affect their lawsuits. Czechvar is listed in Anheuser-Busch's product lineup with brief product info sheet.

In March 2009, Anheuser-Busch lost an appeal against the EU's Office for Harmonisation in the Internal Market (OHIM) decision to reject the registration of Budweiser as an EU-wide trademark for beer for Anheuser-Busch. The court pointed out that Budějovický Budvar had proven that it had been using the trade mark during at least the five years preceding the publication of Anheuser-Busch's application for a Community trade mark. The decision also covers malted non-alcoholic beverages (such as non-alcoholic beer).[7]

On 29 July 2010, Anheuser-Busch also lost its last-instance appeal against this decision. This means that Anheuser-Busch may not register the name Budweiser as an EU-wide trademark for beer. In Germany and Austria in particular, only Budějovický Budvar is allowed to use the trademark Budweiser.[8]

What a bunch of drivel! I drink a particular beer because I prefer the taste. I am not one of you psycho-analyzing libs that has to ¨save the world¨ by everyone of my actions. Give me a break! Budwieser tastes fine to me, and if it was here in Metro or Tottus, I would buy it, and drink it without conscious. Good Lord!
budley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby budley » Thu May 02, 2013 4:59 pm

ok, time to speak the truth about peruvian beers AND Budweiser. they are essentially the same flavorless garbage! These are adjunct pale lagers that are the same everywhere in the world. Bud, Coors, Miller, Cusqueña, labatts, heineken, Becks, Fosters, Brahma -- only 2 companies, SABMiller and Anheuser-Busch InBev, produce almost all these flavorless, **** yellow concoctions. In Peru, Backus produces every beer you are likely to drink. Backus is owned by.....Grupo Empresarial Bavaria, which is owned by....... SABMiller.

Peruvians love beer. Unfortunately they love uninteresting, flavorless beer. Like most people. But craft beers with real flavors are beating crappy mass market swill in the US and other places, and taking significant market share. As change resistant as peruvians are when it comes to gastronomy, and knowing the market realities of beer, it won't change anytime soon around here. But if, like sushi in Lima, something started to catch on..... who knows?
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu May 02, 2013 7:01 pm

budley wrote:ok, time to speak the truth about peruvian beers AND Budweiser. they are essentially the same flavorless garbage! These are adjunct pale lagers that are the same everywhere in the world. Bud, Coors, Miller, Cusqueña, labatts, heineken, Becks, Fosters, Brahma -- only 2 companies, SABMiller and Anheuser-Busch InBev, produce almost all these flavorless, **** yellow concoctions. In Peru, Backus produces every beer you are likely to drink. Backus is owned by.....Grupo Empresarial Bavaria, which is owned by....... SABMiller.

Budweiser is no longer an American beer. It's a Belgian beer as it's owned by INBEV, a Belgian company.

But Budweiser isn't sold in Belgium. They tried to but it was a major flop.
tomasb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomasb » Thu May 02, 2013 7:06 pm

So now I am accused of being a lib because I cannot stand to drink that so called beer swill known as Bud? As the other poster noted, there has been a tremendous consolidation of beer companies over the last decade so a monopoly has developed., which was the business point of the consolidation (i.e Coors, Molson, Bud, Miller, etc.) I think Foster's included too. Now there's a great beer lol. Essentially, the same beer is sold by these companies around the world as they control the distribution networks.

Remember Charlton Heston's line -- Let them eat soylent green...Well, not quite that bad.

Fortunately, there are some great craft beers available in most liquor stores and bars in the US. Unfortunately, this trend has not developed in Peru yet. Though try finding a nice California or French wine here. Due to the high taxes, it is impossible to sell most wine and imported beers at a democratic price in Peru. So much for free trade...
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu May 02, 2013 7:18 pm

If you are really desperate for a really good beer then go to bar Ayahuascu at Avenida San Martin in Barranco.
They sell STELLA ARTOIS.

Bar Ayahuascu looks like a palace. It attracts a young crowd (with harta plata). Don't be put off by the name of the bar. There are no weirdos inside practising that strange ritual whilst vomiting and drinking strange brews in order to 'find themselves).
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu May 02, 2013 7:56 pm

budley wrote:Craft beer is the good stuff and Peru needs some of it

Peruvians don't want to pay for quality products. They only want to buy the cheapest available even if it's bad quality.
budley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby budley » Thu May 02, 2013 8:04 pm

You are completely right Chi Chi. to give credit, Peru is a poor country.

But once you have a really good beer, its very hard to go back to the mass market stuff. Good chocolate is taking hold here, maybe good beer could too, at least in wealthy Lima
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu May 02, 2013 8:13 pm

budley wrote:You are completely right Chi Chi. to give credit, Peru is a poor country.

But once you have a really good beer, its very hard to go back to the mass market stuff. Good chocolate is taking hold here, maybe good beer could too, at least in wealthy Lima

The sale of quality beers is going down everywhere because of the economic crisis. Cara Pils is now one of the best sold beers in Belgium. A few years back it was only associated with homeless people and beggars.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Fri May 03, 2013 12:57 am

The day You start searching in google and stop repeating B.S. you could find stuff you are missing.
http://www.peruthisweek.com/food-149-Si ... -for-Peru/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxdYh_EsUCY
http://www.tripadvisor.es/LocationPhoto ... egion.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZntR9X_yGGQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LFA7HDSkZA

If You do not understand shame on You, it is Peru the native language is spanish.
Google do not bite.
And I saw Guinness beer last year in Vivanda of Avenida Pardo , Miraflores.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Fri May 03, 2013 2:10 am

Where you can find barbarian craft beer
https://www.facebook.com/Cerveceria.Barbarian/info
Cañas y Tapas: Av. General Borgoño 149, Miraflores
- Chez Philippe: Av. 2 de Mayo 748, San Isidro
- Astrid & Gastón: Ca. Cantuarias 175, Miraflores
- Hensley: Av. Primavera 1377, Surco
- Lima Rugby Restobar: Ca. San Martin 417, Miraflores
- American Embassy: Ca. Schell 615, Miraflores
- Central Restaurante: Ca. Santa Isabel 376, Miraflores

Where You can find Sierra andina craft beer
http://www.sierraandina.com/Sierra_Andi ... o_Buy.html

Where You can find Don Tomas craft beer
http://es-es.facebook.com/pages/Cerveza ... 7363640553
budley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby budley » Fri May 03, 2013 7:49 am

Victmanu, YOU ARE MY HERO! I am in Cajamarca and very rarely get to Lima, and never to Huaraz, so I don't have much access to these but I will check it out the next time I go. I really hope these beers will be supported and find their market. Peru is a beer loving country, this should be the logical next step away from price only and into quality.

thank you!
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Fri May 03, 2013 12:51 pm

Houlihan's in Miraflores has had Guinness going on 2 years now at least.
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Fri May 03, 2013 5:36 pm

Arroz con Pollo wrote:Houlihan's in Miraflores has had Guinness going on 2 years now at least.

You are right . They sell Guinnes, price 17 soles.
http://www.houlihansperu.com/menu.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg8Rtb0YV7w
Last edited by victmanu on Sat May 04, 2013 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
metal moth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby metal moth » Fri May 03, 2013 10:27 pm

Maybe you guys that are craving good beer should look into buying a home brewing kit.

Might be a fun hobby for some.
budley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby budley » Sat May 04, 2013 8:30 am

are home brew kits available in Lima metal moth? can you buy hops and everything?
metal moth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby metal moth » Sat May 04, 2013 10:47 am

budley wrote:are home brew kits available in Lima metal moth? can you buy hops and everything?

I'm sure there's some kits around if you look.
Grains are plentiful in Peru.
Using trigo would make an excellent wheat beer.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Sat May 04, 2013 7:07 pm

I've removed all the person attacks and completely non relevant posts though I have left a few that are borderline. The original question was about beer distributors so please try to providing information about that or perhaps the beer/liquor business in general. If you want to discuss your favorite beers and why, please open a new topic in the conversation section otherwise it will be removed. Lastly, the posts that generalize Peruvians with regards to words like "quality" and "interesting" are off topic and pointless. Your definitions of quality and interesting are subjective. Thanks.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Sat May 04, 2013 7:10 pm

chi chi wrote:
The sale of quality beers is going down everywhere because of the economic crisis. Cara Pils is now one of the best sold beers in Belgium. A few years back it was only associated with homeless people and beggars.

Please provide some proof that the sale of quality beer has dropped in Peru. That is very relevant to the question being asked considering he would be entering this business.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Sat May 04, 2013 7:20 pm

budley wrote:Peruvians love beer. Unfortunately they love uninteresting, flavorless beer.

chi chi wrote:Peruvians don't want to pay for quality products. They only want to buy the cheapest available even if it's bad quality.

Let's try to stay away from generalities. I know plenty of Peruvians that like what you might call interesting and flavorful beers and those words are all subjective and pointless in this thread. If you want to discuss quality and interesting beers let's do that in the conversation thread so we can try to keep this thread on topic.
SmartKitty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SmartKitty » Mon May 27, 2013 9:57 am

I would suggest first research the market, specially your competitors. I was not in this business but I had one friend, Peruvian officer, who was a distribuitor, he didn't quite his day officer job and he had contrabanda beer and liqueur, Peruvian Air Force and Navy bring goods for their private business and they don't pay import taxes & storage, it's hard to compete with their prices.
My name is Fortunata Carhuapoma, pies de plomo. I'm a modest serrano girl in polleras and alpargatas.
Tracyrteach
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Tracyrteach » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:25 pm

Victmanu,you are a knowledgable beer stud!

"The day You start searching in google and stop repeating B.S. you could find stuff you are missing.
http://www.peruthisweek.com/food-149-Si ... -for-Peru/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxdYh_EsUCY
http://www.tripadvisor.es/LocationPhoto ... egion.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZntR9X_yGGQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LFA7HDSkZA

Plus, all the bars in Lima carrying the local delicious beers. Well done!

There is definitely a craft beer movement taking place in Peru and it will be great for all of us. Enjoying craft beer, much like drinking wine, is an art. People, not just Peruvians, need to learn to drink quality beer in order to appreciate good beer. Fortunately, with the growth in the economy, more Peruvians are traveling abroad and experiencing good beer in other countries. Many Peruvians return with a new found thirst for quality beer. The times are a changing. Cerveza Artesanal is getting ready to explode here and I'm happy to be a part. I love drinking local and brewing my own to drink and sell here as well.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register