"THEY" ARE BACK...

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 3:39 pm
Location: Surquillo

"THEY" ARE BACK...

Postby Philipc4u59 » Fri May 10, 2013 4:47 pm

THEY, being my:

* SNEEZING
* RUNNY NOSE
* SINUS CONGESTION

I am reluctant to consult the average doctors in even the respected clinics such as Clinica Good Hope (went there) as the mere suggestion that my problems are due to:

* Not wearing shoes or a shirt around the house is the cause
* Drinking ICE COLD beverages (refrigerated plus extra ICE) all the time

I understand the Clinica Americana has American trained doctors that don't believe in this "witch-craft"; but their prices will make you ILL - even after your medical problem has been resolved. Any alternatives???

Hope you as a gringo are not affected by what is clearly a problem of ALLERGIES - but what meds to take?

Philip :roll:

PS - As to "Doctor" Kelly, yes my Peruvian family believes these diagnosises - plus standing too long in front of an oprn refrigerator - will also cause a COLD; how outrageous & WRONG!!!

PSS - maybe the guy that cuts Chi Chi's hair for 4 soles has a suggestion; it couldn't be any less effective...


panman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:05 pm

Re: "THEY" ARE BACK...

Postby panman » Fri May 10, 2013 7:36 pm

Short of moving out of Lima you'll find it difficult to get rid of, I've suffered on and off for years.
On my last visit to the doctor with this problem he perscribed a nazel spray called "Avamys" It's a Galaxo Smith Kline product and has really worked well for me.
See if they sell it over the counter and give it a try.
User avatar
metal moth
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: "THEY" ARE BACK...

Postby metal moth » Fri May 10, 2013 9:51 pm

Ah ya...mal aire.

And don't stand in front of the fridge very long.
Just get what you need and quickly slam the door shut.

But seriously, since you're going to Ica, the dry climate should help you immensely.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: "THEY" ARE BACK...

Postby chi chi » Sat May 11, 2013 3:13 am

I never get the flu.

I got a vaccin against flu at the Clinica San Martin for 70 solitos.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 3:39 pm
Location: Surquillo

Re: "THEY" ARE BACK...

Postby Philipc4u59 » Sat May 11, 2013 10:16 am

Chi Chi,

I am SURPRISED that you don't get the "shot" from the guy that cuts your hair @ 4 soles - JUST KIDDING!!!
I really do appreciate you posts & hope we can share a meal in the near future.
Still in Tarapoto, or did you buy the new World Trade center - with all your BILLIONS???

Be good,
Philip :wink:
User avatar
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 685
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:47 pm
Location: Lima
Contact:

Re: "THEY" ARE BACK...

Postby stuart » Sat May 11, 2013 11:58 am

Philip - You need generic cetirizina, just 10mg per day. It's perfect for Lima's dust and humidity. You should also run a dehumidifier in your bedroom while you sleep.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: "THEY" ARE BACK...

Postby chi chi » Sat May 11, 2013 12:28 pm

Philipc4u59 wrote:Chi Chi,

I am SURPRISED that you don't get the "shot" from the guy that cuts your hair @ 4 soles - JUST KIDDING!!!
I really do appreciate you posts & hope we can share a meal in the near future.
Still in Tarapoto, or did you buy the new World Trade center - with all your BILLIONS???

Be good,
Philip :wink:


I saw the new World Trade Center, when I was in New York last november on a stopover before flying to Dublin. It's looks nice but I won't buy it...too many windows to clean. It neither had a swimming pool and biljart room.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:05 pm

Re: "THEY" ARE BACK...

Postby panman » Sat May 11, 2013 1:28 pm

chi chi wrote:
Philipc4u59 wrote:Chi Chi,

I am SURPRISED that you don't get the "shot" from the guy that cuts your hair @ 4 soles - JUST KIDDING!!!
I really do appreciate you posts & hope we can share a meal in the near future.
Still in Tarapoto, or did you buy the new World Trade center - with all your BILLIONS???

Be good,
Philip :wink:


I saw the new World Trade Center, when I was in New York last november on a stopover before flying to Dublin. It's looks nice but I won't buy it...too many windows to clean. It neither had a swimming pool and biljart room.

But if you bought the new World Trade Center and invested in a window cleaning company, just think of the money you'd make.
User avatar
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1134
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:29 am
Location: Sol De La Molina

Re: "THEY" ARE BACK...

Postby adrian Thorne » Sat May 11, 2013 4:06 pm

Sorry Philip it is all down to where you live. I spent six months of wearing damp shirts and all the symptoms you listed living near you, but as soon as we moved to Sol De La Molina the dreaded colds stopped. Continuous sunshine, low humidity, no diesel fumes and total tranquility. It was worth every penny just to enjoy life to the full.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:05 pm

Re: "THEY" ARE BACK...

Postby panman » Sat May 11, 2013 4:24 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:Sorry Philip it is all down to where you live. I spent six months of wearing damp shirts and all the symptoms you listed living near you, but as soon as we moved to Sol De La Molina the dreaded colds stopped. Continuous sunshine, low humidity, no diesel fumes and total tranquility. It was worth every penny just to enjoy life to the full.

Unfortunately that's not a very practical solution due to the hideous price of property where you're fortunate enough to live.
Some of just have to keep taking the medication and visiting Sol De La Molina on the weekends for some fresh air. That's untill of course,they build the wall :lol:
User avatar
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1134
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:29 am
Location: Sol De La Molina

Re: "THEY" ARE BACK...

Postby adrian Thorne » Sat May 11, 2013 5:49 pm

I realize some people turn in to little green giants when an option is on the table, that they personally cannot achieve. This does not mean you cannot put a high priority on your health and consider a move to improve your well being.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: "THEY" ARE BACK...

Postby chi chi » Sat May 11, 2013 6:09 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:I realize some people turn in to little green giants when an option is on the table, that they personally cannot achieve. This does not mean you cannot put a high priority on your health and consider a move to improve your well being.


Not only contaminated air and a moldy damp climat affects your health but stress affects your health as well.

Almost everyone in Lima live a stressfull live because of the fear of being assaulted, robbed, scammed or attacked by criminals. People in Lima don't even feel safe in their own home.

The smog in Lima is everywhere and anytime. Even when you close the windows, it still gets in your home and you breathe it in.

That's why I like living in Tarapoto, the city of the palmtrees. Nice weather all year round, no fog half of the year like in Lima and clean air.

In Tarapoto, I sleep with the windows open and don't lock my door. When I lived in Lima, I double checked all doors and windowlocks before leaving the home or going to bed.

Stress causes many healthproblems and most people in Lima live under constant stress.
TShadow
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: "THEY" ARE BACK...

Postby TShadow » Sun May 12, 2013 11:15 am

but as soon as we moved to Sol De La Molina the dreaded colds stopped


Not so true, my girl friend lives there and she always has the same symptoms as Philipc4u59 and nevertheless I live with her I never got any cold. So it it also could be an allergy syndrome due to dust or similar. The place where we live is isolated and only very few cars are passing, but the house is always full of dust.

I also always drink ice cold beer :-)

Did you always experience this problems? Are you particularly more stressed than before?
Hitoruna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:12 am

Re: "THEY" ARE BACK...

Postby Hitoruna » Sun May 12, 2013 9:30 pm

Yeah, not only in Peru but now where I live I always see these "gringos locos" who in the middle of what for me is winter (well ok maybe spring or fall for the rest) run around with some shorts, sandals and a t-shirt :| while I am still wearing a huge jacket over some sweaters and a wool scarf. :oops:

haha, dont get offended, I am just teasing you. Perhaps you should follow our witchcraft knowledge and wear some shoes or something... :wink:

(the ice drink is ok, despite my mother protestations I keep drinking them super cold, and I am peruvian :mrgreen:



Philipc4u59 wrote:THEY, being my:

* SNEEZING
* RUNNY NOSE
* SINUS CONGESTION

I am reluctant to consult the average doctors in even the respected clinics such as Clinica Good Hope (went there) as the mere suggestion that my problems are due to:

* Not wearing shoes or a shirt around the house is the cause
* Drinking ICE COLD beverages (refrigerated plus extra ICE) all the time

I understand the Clinica Americana has American trained doctors that don't believe in this "witch-craft"; but their prices will make you ILL - even after your medical problem has been resolved. Any alternatives???

Hope you as a gringo are not affected by what is clearly a problem of ALLERGIES - but what meds to take?

Philip :roll:

PS - As to "Doctor" Kelly, yes my Peruvian family believes these diagnosises - plus standing too long in front of an oprn refrigerator - will also cause a COLD; how outrageous & WRONG!!!

PSS - maybe the guy that cuts Chi Chi's hair for 4 soles has a suggestion; it couldn't be any less effective...
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 827
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:58 pm
Location: Lima, Peru

Re: "THEY" ARE BACK...

Postby argidd » Mon May 13, 2013 9:46 am

Hi Philip

I had a really bad allergy problem, which initiated almost 2 years ago. I went to a well known Otorhinolaryngologist, who gave me a shot of corticosteroids, which only helped me for like a week. About a year and a half into my allergy I started getting really bad chest wheezing (I had just moved to Miraflores and April was coming in damp), so tired of this I started to take propolis (propóleos) mixed with honey (they come like that already), I can tell you I have had a 90% recovery, now I am still sensitive to mold or dust, but I can breathe normally.

Hope it helps.
You can buy it at Santa Natura for 36 soles, take a spoon 3 times a day. Don't give it to babies under 1. :D
Regards,

Argidd
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 3:39 pm
Location: Surquillo

Re: "THEY" ARE BACK...

Postby Philipc4u59 » Thu May 16, 2013 12:56 pm

FYI:

Just returned from 3 1/2 days in Ica; as there is no measureable:

* Humidity
* Smog

I am confused & frustrated; I will try the suggestions of the posters & thanks,

Philip :roll:
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 518
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:24 am

Re: "THEY" ARE BACK...

Postby Lloyd007 » Thu May 16, 2013 2:26 pm

The ''generica'' version of the Cetirizina pills are your best option. They work fantastically well and in Inca Farma only cost 10 cents a pill so get a box full.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 3:39 pm
Location: Surquillo

Re: "THEY" ARE BACK...

Postby Philipc4u59 » Thu May 16, 2013 6:33 pm

Last May, I tried Cetirizina 10 mg for 3-4 days; had no effect.
Maybe I didn't allow enough time to affect my condition.

Philip :roll:
Last edited by Philipc4u59 on Sat May 18, 2013 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 827
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:58 pm
Location: Lima, Peru

Re: "THEY" ARE BACK...

Postby argidd » Fri May 17, 2013 12:01 pm

Philipc4u59 wrote:Last May, I tried Cetirizina 1 mg for 3-4 days; had no effect.
Maybe I didn't allow enough time to affect my condition.

Philip :roll:


Philip, try the propolis, trust me it is amazing! Unless you are allergic to bee things!
I tried various allergy meds, and nothing helped... Besides, it's like 3 weeks worth for 36 soles!!
Regards,

Argidd
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 3:39 pm
Location: Surquillo

Re: "THEY" ARE BACK...

Postby Philipc4u59 » Sat May 18, 2013 10:33 am

Thanks everyone,

I will try these suggestions; I am a big BELIEVER in BEE PRODUCTS - used to buy fresh bee pollen in US.

Philip :roll:
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 3:39 pm
Location: Surquillo

Re: "THEY" ARE BACK...

Postby Philipc4u59 » Wed May 22, 2013 11:02 am

FYI:

I have been using the PROPOLIS for four (4) days now - as instructed & NO RESULTS?
It is not a very pleasant tasting elixor; but this would not present a problem IF IT RESOLVED MY HEALTH ISSUES.
Do you feel I have given "P" enough time to work; my next option will be the Cetirizina 10 mg (tried before).

I was hoping my 3 1/2 days in Ica, would resolve the problem - but NO!
My STRESS is no more than it was in the US & I lived in a dirty city (not nearly as much as Lima) - but dirty.
I experienced HUMIDITY in the summer (US) months; but never had such severe consequences.

UNHEALTHY & UNCOMFORTABLE IN PERU,
Philip :( :( :(
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 827
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:58 pm
Location: Lima, Peru

Re: "THEY" ARE BACK...

Postby argidd » Wed May 22, 2013 11:38 am

Hi, give it a few more days, and take everyday. Of course each body is different, and if it's not working for you, and before trying the meds, go to an allergist.
On the other hand, Lima and cities in the US are very different, the only fact of having AC/CH (if you did) and having windows closed most of the time (again, if you had AC) keeps a lot of dirt out, and AC/CH creates a dry atmosphere, therefore no mold.

I hope you feel better.
Regards,

Argidd
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 505
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:29 pm

Re: "THEY" ARE BACK...

Postby MarcoPE » Wed May 22, 2013 12:04 pm

An allergist is a good idea but if you can't/don't want to spend the money and natural remedies don't provide sufficient relief, I have had pretty good luck with:

fexofenadina (aka Allegra) 120mg or 180mg
cetirizina (aka Zyrtec) 10mg
loratadina (aka Claritin) 10mg

and NO, not all at the same time ... I find one works better during some times of the year over the other, and all are pretty readily available here.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: "THEY" ARE BACK...

Postby chi chi » Wed May 22, 2013 1:26 pm

argidd wrote:Hi, give it a few more days, and take everyday. Of course each body is different, and if it's not working for you, and before trying the meds, go to an allergist.
On the other hand, Lima and cities in the US are very different, the only fact of having AC/CH (if you did) and having windows closed most of the time (again, if you had AC) keeps a lot of dirt out, and AC/CH creates a dry atmosphere, therefore no mold.

I hope you feel better.


If you have AC and then go out in the heat then you easily get a cold.
I had it many times in the US.
Especially when travelling with Greyhound. It's freezing inside the bus. When you leave the bus somewhere in Arizona or Texas then it's like walking in an oven.

Return to “Expat Information”

cron

Login  •  Register