Did I only get a 40-day Visa at Lima Airport?

This forum has been closed. Please refer to the first post to find useful links.
taterbabies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Did I only get a 40-day Visa at Lima Airport?

Postby taterbabies » Mon May 20, 2013 5:45 am

Flew into Lima Airport last week and with my broken Spanish requested a 183 day tourist visa.....the woman seemed to agree and stamped my passport and immigration card

just looking at my passport and immigration card now and there is a '40' written underneath the date in that space on both the stamp on my passport and the card

it is clearly a 40 and not a 90.........the only date on each stamp is my date of entry...

did i only get a 40 day visa?

panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Did I only get a 40-day Visa at Lima Airport?

Postby panman » Mon May 20, 2013 9:13 am

taterbabies wrote:it is clearly a 40 and not a 90.........the only date on each stamp is my date of entry...

I think you've quite clearly answered your own question.
taterbabies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby taterbabies » Mon May 20, 2013 2:11 pm

thanks for the 'response'

ive talked to other expats here and the family i'm currently staying with and they have never seen a forty day visa and told me flying in to lima you always have at least ninety days

also.....what is to stop me from putting a '1' in front of the 40?

i guess my question then is.....has anyone received an odd time on their visa like this flying into Lima before?
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Mon May 20, 2013 2:27 pm

You can ask for an extension of the permission to stay for at least three more months.
http://www.digemin.gob.pe/servicios_inm ... encia.html
This time go to DIGEMIn with a friend who speak spanish.
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Mon May 20, 2013 2:46 pm

The link you provided states under Prorroga de Permanencia Turista this "Para los nacionales y residentes extranjeros de los países miembros de la Comunidad Andina:" So to me it seems only nationals of the Andean community countries can still extent their visa. Or am I wrong?
tomasb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomasb » Mon May 20, 2013 3:13 pm

What is wrong with putting a '1' in front of the 40 or changing the 40 to 90? Well, this visa information is recorded automatically in their computers at the airport or wherever you arrive in Peru. For example, I had a visa issue when leaving the country last year as my previous passport and visa had been stolen. Lima Immigrations knew exactly what date I had re-entered the country in Tacna and how many days were on my visa. They looked it up on their computer at the LIMA airport. I do not think it is advisable to tamper with the numbers.

Are you sure the 40 might be construed as a 90? They write numbers differently here than in the US. Ask a Peruvian about the number...
taterbabies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby taterbabies » Mon May 20, 2013 3:19 pm

oh ok good to know....i wasnt aware that they logged the days on the computer.....im going to make a copy of it and show it to some locals to see what they perceive.....

thanks everyone for your input!
taterbabies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby taterbabies » Mon May 20, 2013 3:57 pm

Showed it to the housekeeper and two other locals here and they each said it for sure says '40'

so just as a heads up to everyone they are giving away 40 day visas to at least some lucky few americans entering lima airport now
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Mon May 20, 2013 4:02 pm

If someone told you that you always get 90 days, they are misinformed. I've seen people get 30 days on up to 183 days so it really just depends on the immigration officer. You are a guest here so there is no "guarantee" of anything. When I first came here as a tourist I got a 60 day visa just to give you an idea and recently my mother came to visit and she received a 30 day visa.

We've all heard about the so called new extension but I've never actually met anyone that has gotten one. In the past before they changed the maximum to 183 days, one could get extensions quite easily but since that new law, it has changed. The digemin website is not always up to date so take whatever you read with a grain of salt.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:51 am

you will only pay 1 dollar per day of overstaying your visa, if you stay over 40 days. yea, i never heard of 40 days either. i fly to Peru every 3 months from the U.S. and always seem to get the max of 183, when I only stay 90 :D
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
bobg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bobg » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:45 pm

That is what happened to me when I came in March of this year, I've been coming here for 20 years always had 90 days usually stay for 60. So who ever looks at there pass port after so much time ? Well it really bit me in the a_ _ I am selling my apartment have had it sold since may, many many problems which I will talk about later , but the last one is the short visa days. We fixed all the problems , you wouldn't believe went for the final paper work notary said my visa was only for 45 days,just got back from Tacna today with 90 days had to pay for my wife and I 50.00 dollars 25 days each. Caution ALWAYS CHECK YOUR VISA KEEP A COPY OR HAVE YOUR OLD EXPIRED VISAS AVAILABLE, They may have some baring on a lot of things .
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:49 am

taterbabies wrote:Flew into Lima Airport last week and with my broken Spanish requested a 183 day tourist visa.....the woman seemed to agree and stamped my passport and immigration card

it is clearly a 40 and not a 90.........the only date on each stamp is my date of entry...

I got my passport stamped twice on the second page. They are not allowed to put stamps on the second page of my Passport.
On the second page there's just a list of Kingdom of Belgium written in 30 different languages and a picture of the King. They stamped right on the King his face. :shock:
bobg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bobg » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:19 am

Her we go again, more problems , now they want a legal copy of my wife's old pass port the old pass port isn't legal now , they just want more money for someone to put a stamp on it and that makes it legal, crazy ! This is into the fourth month you do one thing , start over than they find something else , start over and over , and over, we've had three lawyers , two real-estate agents , trips to Tacna . we will see what the lawyer comes back with today................
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:27 am

bobg wrote:Her we go again, more problems , now they want a legal copy of my wife's old pass port the old pass port isn't legal now , they just want more money for someone to put a stamp on it and that makes it legal, crazy ! This is into the fourth month you do one thing , start over than they find something else , start over and over , and over, we've had three lawyers , two real-estate agents , trips to Tacna . we will see what the lawyer comes back with today................

I think your lawyer smelled money. Finding ''non existent problems'' is their speciality so they can ripp you off more.
Talk to migraciones directly. Lawyers are just like those tramitadores that hang outside the migraciones office in Breña. They promise to help you with immigration procedures for a ''democratic'' price but during the process, they find all kind of 'non existent problems' are ask for more money.
bobg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bobg » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:10 pm

This is our third lawyer . we started doing it our self's back and forth got frustrated and payed for the first two lawyers fired them right away weren't worth a hill of beans, the lawyer we have now is the lawyer for our buyer, when she saw what was happening all of the bull s__t she VOLUNTEERED to do it FREE, of coarse it helps her client but we couldn't do with out her. There are bad bad lawyers of coarse but the bureaucrats and government are the worst !!!!!
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:07 am

taterbabies wrote:Flew into Lima Airport last week and with my broken Spanish requested a 183 day tourist visa.....the woman seemed to agree and stamped my passport and immigration card

just looking at my passport and immigration card now and there is a '40' written underneath the date in that space on both the stamp on my passport and the card

You probably did only get a 40 day visa. They have given me everything from only 7 days (!) to 183 days, it all depends on the immigration officer. However, if you want to stay longer you can always overstay and pay your $1 per day fine when you leave.
trevor33
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby trevor33 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:44 am

40 days is harsh. Always check the stamp before walking away... bitching has gotten me an extension a couple of times.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register