Country to be frozen again for Census, Sunday, October 21

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Country to be frozen again for Census, Sunday, October 21

Postby americorps » Tue May 28, 2013 2:28 pm

Dear wardens and registered visitors to Peru:

Below please find an important message from the U.S. Embassy in Lima, Peru. Please share this message with other U.S. citizens in Peru. We hope this information is useful to you. If we may provide further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us at (511)434-3000 or email [email protected].

REGISTERED US CITIZEN MESSAGE
U.S. EMBASSY Lima, Peru
October 12, 2007

Peruvian National Census Sunday, October 21

Sunday, October 21, 2007 is National Census Day in Peru. Peru¿s National Statistics Institute (INEI) will conduct a nationwide census on Sunday, October 21 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. The Embassy has been informed that all public establishments (markets, supermarkets, convenience stores, restaurants, gas stations, and all commercial establishments) will be closed during census hours. All cultural activities, sporting events, church services, and access to museums and archeological parks will be suspended during census hours. In addition, the sale and/or excessive consumption of alcohol is prohibited during the census hours. The government of Peru has directed that the population of Peru remain in their homes during census hours. U.S. citizens in Peru are subject to Peruvian law and must comply with any legal restrictions imposed by the government.

Foreign tourists may travel freely throughout the country, but may be required to present passports and proof of census participation upon request. Tourists may be asked by hotel staff serving as census volunteers to gather information similar to that gathered in the United States (age, place of birth, occupation, etc. of household members). We have been assured that there are special provisions in place for tourists and those in transit through Peru to provide shorter answers. All official INEI volunteer census takers should have identifying badges and credentials. Tourists should receive a sticker and/or ¿Cédula¿ directly from either from census workers after they have been counted or from their hotel reception desks before venturing outside from hotels and residences.

International and domestic flights are expected to maintain normal schedules, but ground transportation and water transportation may be severely restricted during census hours. Intercity buses and taxis will not be in operation, however taxis to and from the airport in Lima to hotels are expected to be in operation for tourists with passports and airplane tickets and/or boarding passes. Those who travel by personal vehicle during census hours may be stopped and asked to return to their residences and/or hotels by local officials. We are advised that the tourist trains and shuttle buses to Machu Picchu and the World Heritage Site itself will most likely be accessible and open for foreign tourists with valid passports and tourist visas.

The Peruvian government has established a Spanish language toll-free information line, 0800-10226, for any questions you may have about the census process.

gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Country to be frozen again for Census, Sunday, October 21

Postby gerard » Tue May 28, 2013 3:16 pm

Darn it, if only you'd told us 6 years ago.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Tue May 28, 2013 3:35 pm

how often is the census taken? this will obviously be a very quiet day in the streets of Lima
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Tue May 28, 2013 3:42 pm

OMG, lol, you are so right.

I got this email this morning from the Embassy and I guess I did not read it close enough.

I just presume they were doing it again. I guess the embassy sent it out by mistake.
tomasb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomasb » Tue May 28, 2013 6:27 pm

LOL- This is how rumors get started...

but sounds somewhat draconian and undemocratic even in 2007. Imagine if this census regulation went out in the US...
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Tue May 28, 2013 6:31 pm

October 21st 2007 goes down as the quietest day in modern Lima history. You could hear a pin drop outside and I lived off of Benavidas at that time.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Tue May 28, 2013 7:15 pm

The last census some years ago, I remember that almost nothing changed. We were worried in the hotel about the employees if they could come to work and/or a permit for that. But on the day itself it was in the whole city just business as usual, with combies taxis etc.
It will be probably the same thing. Like last time you were allowed out once the census had taken place, and in reality how can they check you on the street if you are already allowed out of your house, or not yet ..
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Tue May 28, 2013 8:52 pm

Business as usual on census day 2007? Really? I was in Miraflores and it was the most beautiful, tranquil and quiet day I ever experienced in my seven years here in Lima. Larco and Benavides were dead empty, no crazy micros, no honking, just a nice stress-free day in Lima.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Tue May 28, 2013 11:33 pm

sunflower wrote:Business as usual on census day 2007? Really? I was in Miraflores and it was the most beautiful, tranquil and quiet day I ever experienced in my seven years here in Lima. Larco and Benavides were dead empty, no crazy micros, no honking, just a nice stress-free day in Lima.

maybe Peru should have more of these so called "Census Days" :D
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
taterbabies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby taterbabies » Wed May 29, 2013 2:22 am

so they will actually be going door to door and entering residences?

what happens if you're overstaying a visa....can we expect an on the spot 'fee?'

and what if we just take a long nap that day and don't hear any knocks on the door?
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed May 29, 2013 6:35 am

Yes they did go door to door and enter the residence. They weren't counting foreigners last time if I recall correctly but who knows. It would be a great time to address those situations if they wanted to.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Wed May 29, 2013 10:09 am

I was CONCERNED about this "Census Day"; until I re-read & realized - same had gone & passed in 2007.

I am worried with the US Embassy; what other MISTAKES are they making, if can't resolve email issues?

Philip :roll:
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed May 29, 2013 10:59 am

Why would you be concerned about the census day? There is nothing you could do about it.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Wed May 29, 2013 11:13 am

it was clearly not business as usual during the last census. I did go out, but was stopped 3 times by the police in miraflores to prove I had been counted and even larcomar was mostly deserted.

They did question tourists, but it was a shorter survey.

The last census was really a joke as they did not have enough census takers for the whole nation and wide swaths of data was just made up in many districts and tens of thousands were not counted.

I do not know why the embassy made this mistake, but I think it is a great over reaction to cause one to worry about the embassy, it is a simple mistake and in my 6.5 years here, the Embassy, with the exception of being kind to visa applicants, has done an excellent job. Rediculous to let one email mistake call into question their abilities.

I apologize for just glossing over the email and missing the date, or I would never have posted it.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Wed May 29, 2013 1:16 pm

I don't appreciate having the GOVERNMENT - ANY GOVERNMENT, tell me I can't leave my home - when I want!
The census is a valuable tool (if conducted properly); but my PERSONAL FREEDOM is more valuable!!!
Seems as though Peru needs to get its' ACT TOGETHER; a census & not every one is counted???

americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 pm

That is an idignity you might have to learn to live with from time to time because, strangely enough, Peru operates under Peruvian Constitutional law and not US Constitutional law.
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Wed May 29, 2013 5:08 pm

Philipc4u59 wrote:I don't appreciate having the GOVERNMENT - ANY GOVERNMENT, tell me I can't leave my home - when I want!
The census is a valuable tool (if conducted properly); but my PERSONAL FREEDOM is more valuable!!!
Seems as though Peru needs to get its' ACT TOGETHER; a census & not every one is counted???

Problem solved :)

Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Josh2U » Wed May 29, 2013 6:16 pm

What is that ticket supposed to mean? Is there a census being held this Saturday?
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed May 29, 2013 10:23 pm

It looks like a get out of census card though it seems that saving those pennies sure adds up, First class, nice!
taterbabies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby taterbabies » Thu May 30, 2013 2:36 am

haha.....unless there's a brand new route (ual only goes to ewr and iah) with at least 26 rows of first that lets you put your expatperu handle as your name i think that's a fake ticket y'all
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Thu May 30, 2013 11:15 am

Here is a follow-up to my email to the Embassy asking why I got this email. I guess I am free to share the email since it is marked UNCLASSIFIED, lol.

We sincerely appreciate that you have brought this matter to our attention. After thorough investigation, we were able to determine that the Listserv has sent out old messages due to a minor technical error that we have since corrected. Please be assured that we have taken the necessary action to ensure that this does not happen again.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. If you have any questions regarding STEP or the Listserv message that you received please contact us at [email protected] and we will be happy to further assist you.

Regards,
The STEP Team

Privacy/PII
This email is UNCLASSIFIED.
Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Josh2U » Thu May 30, 2013 11:42 am

Glad that is cleared up. Be sure to let us know if you get any more emails.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register