Anybody needing anything from the States?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Roger in the US
Gold Member
Gold Member

Anybody needing anything from the States?

Postby Roger in the US » Fri May 31, 2013 1:34 pm

Since this forum has saved me many times I would like to return the favors and help anybody needing anything delivered to Peru.

I will be visiting Lima again for 6 weeks in late June. I will be staying in Miraflores. If anybody is needing anything delivered, let me know.

Roger

Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Anybody needing anything from the States?

Postby Philipc4u59 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:51 pm

Roger,

Very nice gesture; I have sent you a PM.
Best wishes; hope you are not flying with Spirit Air.
Check JETBLUE, as they have a promo now that is very cheap.

Philip :roll:
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:58 pm

Jet Blue does not start service to Lima until Nov 21! I believe the promo ended last month?
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:10 pm

i will be heading to Peru also in just a few days and not flying any of the above airlines. i will be flying Lan.
Not really looking forward to the weather there. today in Los Angeles it is 98 degrees and sunny :D
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:18 pm

LAN is a good airline; according to my sources, Chi Chi owns a controlling interest in & also most of Tarapoto (my sources - may not be 100% correct as Chi Chi is very illusive!)

chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:39 pm

caliguy wrote:i will be heading to Peru also in just a few days and not flying any of the above airlines. i will be flying Lan.
Not really looking forward to the weather there. today in Los Angeles it is 98 degrees and sunny :D

Sounds like the weather in LA is the same as in Tarapoto.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:37 am

Roger in the US,

I have emailed & used PM's to you - on two (2) separate occasions - w/o a reply?
Have your plans changed???
I desperately need VITAMINS from the US; they would have to be ordered & delivered to YOU (10 days).

Please advise & THNAKS,
Philip & Rosmery :roll:
PS - no good explanation why VITAMINS are not allowed to be shipped to Peru (according to Amazon)???
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:24 am

Philipc4u59 wrote:Roger in the US,

PS - no good explanation why VITAMINS are not allowed to be shipped to Peru (according to Amazon)???

If I ever want anything from Amazon etc, I just order it online from here (Peru) Have it delivered to a family member back home, who then forwards it to me in Lima via Serpost.
Despite what others might tell you, I personally have never had any problem with Serpost, everything is delivered direct to my door and I've never, so far, been asked to pay any taxes or other charges.
One thing I always try to do is make sure that the parcels I have sent contain the maximum weight. ie If it costs $10 to send upto 500g try not to only send 75g, I stock pile stuff 'till the weight mounts up.
Surely you must have a family member or friend that you can try this with.
Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Josh2U » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:48 am

If you do not want to impose on family members or friends, there are mail forwarding services, free. The one I use charges a fee only when they mail something out. That way your family is not inundated with packages stock piled while waiting to meet some fee weight ratio.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:02 am

Josh2U wrote:If you do not want to impose on family members or friends, there are mail forwarding services, free. The one I use charges a fee only when they mail something out. That way your family is not inundated with packages stock piled while waiting to meet some fee weight ratio.

I'm very fortunate to have friends and family members back home who are more than happy to help me out, but it's great to know that theres an alternative for those who are not in this position.
Perhaps you could post details of the company you use.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:09 pm

YES, that would be helpful to a lot of expats...

metal moth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby metal moth » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:16 pm

Here's a good website dealing with the import/export issues.

http://www.myus.com/en/prohibited-export-import/
Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Josh2U » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:31 pm

2 forms of ID. Some sort of address verification, water bill, etc. Pay by PayPal or credit card. They send an email when you have something. If you do not want it tell them to trash it, no harm no foul. If you are not sure they will open it and take pictures for $2.
Roger in the US
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Roger in the US » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:09 pm

I have been away from my computer and please contact me using pm's. The yahoo address for this account is almost unusable from all the spam. I will be checking here every day until my flight leaves on the 27th...

As long as it isn't too large or crazy expensive. I will be happy to pick up the cost for anything or use amazon for anything you need.

And yes, I am using spirit. About 2 months ago, I flew into Armenia Colombia and on the return trip, the plane was delayed about a day. I ended up getting a 600 dollar credit out of the deal. So using it for the trip back to Lima later this month. The only reason I used spirit to Armenia was they are the only airline that I could find that flew into that airport.

But i do agree. Spirit sucks...

Roger
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:34 am

Roger,

I did send you another PM; I have had problems with a few others not being received also.
As far as Spirit & the $600, this was MANDATED by the US government; Spirit doesn't extend any EMPATHY for its errors - unless it is FORCED TO!!! The new regs. are more generous than previous compensation.

Have a safe trip; be careful as Spirit usually over-books & its planes (to Lima) are old (ask Chi Chi). I actually AGREE with a super-low cost alternative to flying; but Spirit (& RyanAir out of Europe); take this to extremes.

Maybe you & any fellow travelers will allow us the privilege of having you over for dinner in Surquillo?

Best wishes,
Philip & Rosmery Brown :roll:
ariel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ariel » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:07 pm

Roger, it would be great if you can get me a couple of these (see link below):

http://www.expatperu.com/expatforums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22305

if you happen to pass by any electronic/electrical shops in your area. It's just an IC for a USB microcontroller, which I can't find here in Lima (real shocker - why I'm still surprised I'll never know).

Thanks in advance and have a safe flight.
metal moth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby metal moth » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:22 pm

Don't forget that Spirit has a year round baggage embargo on flights to Lima.

Roger might be hard pressed to bring too many items.
Roger in the US
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Roger in the US » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:50 am

metal moth wrote:Don't forget that Spirit has a year round baggage embargo on flights to Lima.

Explain please....
Roger in the US
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Roger in the US » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:56 am

Philipc4u59 wrote:Roger,

I did send you another PM; I have had problems with a few others not being received also.
As far as Spirit & the $600, this was MANDATED by the US government; Spirit doesn't extend any EMPATHY for its errors - unless it is FORCED TO!!! The new regs. are more generous than previous compensation.

Have a safe trip; be careful as Spirit usually over-books & its planes (to Lima) are old (ask Chi Chi). I actually AGREE with a super-low cost alternative to flying; but Spirit (& RyanAir out of Europe); take this to extremes.

Maybe you & any fellow travelers will allow us the privilege of having you over for dinner in Surquillo?

Best wishes,
Philip & Rosmery Brown :roll:

Actually, I have used spirit before to fly to Peru and Colombia. . I had forgotten about the trip on Spirit to Peru. But since I have the credit, I am going to use it. The best airline I have used is LAN. Planes were nice, food was great the the stewardesses were friendly, helpful and "beautiful". :D
Roger in the US
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Roger in the US » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:57 am

ariel wrote:Roger, it would be great if you can get me a couple of these (see link below):

if you happen to pass by any electronic/electrical shops in your area. It's just an IC for a USB microcontroller, which I can't find here in Lima (real shocker - why I'm still surprised I'll never know).

Give me the link on Amazon on the part that you want...
Roger in the US
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Roger in the US » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:01 am

ariel wrote:Roger, it would be great if you can get me a couple of these (see link below):

Sorry. A previous post I made was a mistake. I thought it was a usb hub. You just need the IC. I am in Oklahoma city and called the electronic supplier with the part number and he wanted me to order 100 of them. Do you have a link for the part in small quantities?

Let me know so I can get it ordered.
ariel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ariel » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:38 am

Sent you a PM, Roger.

Many thanks! You're awesome. :)
Roger in the US
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Roger in the US » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:05 am

ariel wrote:Sent you a PM, Roger.

No PM received...Try again or send to my email.
ariel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ariel » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:24 am

Roger in the US wrote:
ariel wrote:Sent you a PM, Roger.

No PM received...Try again or send to my email.

That's fine. I just wanted to let you know that my tech already found it (after incessant calls to various shops). Now I gotta give him a nice tip for that.

Your effort is very much appreciated. I hope there are more folks like you out there.

Thanks and cheers!
Roger in the US
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Roger in the US » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:39 pm

Philipc4u59 check your pm's....
metal moth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby metal moth » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:01 pm

Roger in the US wrote:
metal moth wrote:Don't forget that Spirit has a year round baggage embargo on flights to Lima.

Explain please....

From Spirit Airlines website
To and from Lima:

A maximum of one (1) checked item will
be allowed per customer.
Overweight up to max 50 lb (23 kg), is
permitted and subject to overweight
baggage charges.
Oversized items up to 80 linear inches
(203 cm) is permitted and is subject to
oversized baggage charges.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:35 am

Roger is having a similar problem to me; PM's are not received - for some reason.
I have asked Alan on several occasions to look into this issue; to date, NO RESOLUTION???
Yes, very nice gesture by Roger & others...

PS - my wife & I were in Ica from Friday night to Tuesday morning; no Internet access at her mom's place
PSS - I have sent a PM to Roger (hope it makes it); a family member will be coming in July (not on Spirit).

*** Chi Chi, you are the aviation expert on expat; why one ONE (1) CHECKED BAG on Spirit to Lima. I have been told (unofficially) that they use a very small aircraft & space & weight - are a major concern... ***

Note, in 2012 travel agents DID NOT ADVISE that Spirit had such an UNUSUAL BAG PLOICY; when Spirit customer service (what a joke!) was contacted about this issue, as USUAL - they had NO EMPATHY for the problems this caused passengers. Now, Spirit doesn't have travel agents booking their flights - but NO REFUND for me???
metal moth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby metal moth » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:34 am

Philipc4u59 wrote:Roger is having a similar problem to me; PM's are not received - for some reason.
I have asked Alan on several occasions to look into this issue; to date, NO RESOLUTION???
Yes, very nice gesture by Roger & others...

PS - my wife & I were in Ica from Friday night to Tuesday morning; no Internet access at her mom's place
PSS - I have sent a PM to Roger (hope it makes it); a family member will be coming in July (not on Spirit).

*** Chi Chi, you are the aviation expert on expat; why one ONE (1) CHECKED BAG on Spirit to Lima. I have been told (unofficially) that they use a very small aircraft & space & weight - are a major concern... ***

Note, in 2012 travel agents DID NOT ADVISE that Spirit had such an UNUSUAL BAG PLOICY; when Spirit customer service (what a joke!) was contacted about this issue, as USUAL - they had NO EMPATHY for the problems this caused passengers. Now, Spirit doesn't have travel agents booking their flights - but NO REFUND for me???

Also, Spirit Air customer service no longer has a toll free number.

http://consumerist.com/2013/05/07/spiri ... area-code/
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:46 pm

CUSTOMER SERVICE & a TOLL FREE #; go together like Peanut butter & jelly - Spirit is INSANE!

JET BLUE 4 U & anyone else that is looking for an airline that offers GREAT PROMOS for Lima!
Spirit no longer has a monopoly on cheap flights!!!

PS - LAN & others also offer "democratic" prices when to or from Lima; check around (or ask Chi Chi).
Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Josh2U » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:55 pm

Phil, The concern is space and weight. No matter the size of the plane, the more weight allowed on the plane the more fuel consumed. So to keep fares low they control how much baggage is checked. I just hope they never catch on that people like me have almost the equivalent of 2 extra bags carried on their person at all times. LOL
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:05 pm

Josh,

Then why doesn't Spirit charge a reasonable fee - for extra bags; to compensate for more fuel usage?
I have flown many times to international designations; this is the only time I had a ONE BAG - issue?
The smaller planes would seem to be a logical answer; but I am not an expert of AIRLINES.

Hopefully, Chi Chi (or others) will respond; I will contact him. Thanks, for the comments...

PS - did you receive my PM a while back, explaining my situation with a proposed class action in this matter?
PSS - for some reasons, several people have notified me that mine & their PM - are not being received/sent?
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:05 pm

Josh,

Then why doesn't Spirit charge a reasonable fee - for extra bags; to compensate for more fuel usage?
I have flown many times to international designations; this is the only time I had a ONE BAG - issue?
The smaller planes would seem to be a logical answer; but I am not an expert of AIRLINES.

Hopefully, Chi Chi (or others) will respond; I will contact him. Thanks, for the comments...

PS - did you receive my PM a while back, explaining my situation with a proposed class action in this matter?
PSS - for some reasons, several people have notified me that mine & their PM - are not being received/sent?
Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Josh2U » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:29 pm

Good question, why they do not charge a reasonable fee for additional baggage.
Have to hire more baggage handlers? More time to load the plane? Takes more time to check in? Who knows. Spirits goal is to offer the lowest fares and if having fewer baggage handlers, shorter time to load baggage and the minimum check in personnel helps them meet that goal then there you go.
Yeah I remember something about your class action and wanting to join. I asked for the attorneys name and I never heard from you again. I don't think it was a PM, I have never got one from you.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:36 pm

Josh,

I sent you a detailed PM about the matter with Spirit; I will check my "sent" box & try to retrieve.
I realize you have similar issues with Spirit that I have; I used Travelocity to book my flight, they never informed me of the ONE (1) CHECKED BAG policy

Spirit blames them for the ERROR; Travelocity - refuses to address/reply to the issue.
Spirit was advised within 24 hours of the problem & STILL REFUSED TO ISSUE A REFUND - ILLEGAL!!!
I have a "feeling" they resold my ticket, as I was a "no show"; shouldn't I have a refund - on this basis alone?

Keep up the great posts,
PS - for Chi Chi (& others); is a person entitled to a refund, if their seat is resold - less any handling fees?
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:15 pm

Though there are a number of possibilities as to why Spirit only allows 1 bag to Lima, such as fuel costs etc, a potentially plausible explanation (I don't know for sure) may be that they contract with a courier service (USPS, FedEx, Serpost, etc) to transport cargo to and from Lima ... and as such are trying to keep space available.

Interesting ....
Philipc4u59 wrote:Spirit was advised within 24 hours of the problem & STILL REFUSED TO ISSUE A REFUND - ILLEGAL!!! I have a "feeling" they resold my ticket, as I was a "no show"; shouldn't I have a refund - on this basis alone?

Do you have absolute proof that you REQUESTED A REFUND within 24h of your INITIAL reservation which was made more than 7 days PRIOR to the travel date? If so, you may have a claim .... and, for the other part, NO, having a "feeling" they resold your ticket means nothing at all.

According to Spirit (from their FAQ's), "Does Spirit offer refundable fares?No, in order to keep our fares extremely low, we do not offer refundable fares. We do allow you to change a reservation if needed for a fee. Additionally, we are unable to refund any fare differences once a reservation is purchased. Refunds are allowed for reservations made 7 days or more prior to your departure, provided that you make the refund request within 24 hours of your initial reservation.
metal moth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby metal moth » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:07 pm

And the only reason they offer that within 24 hr. refund is because the USDOT made them.

Certainly Spirit wouldn't do it out of the goodness of their heart.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:36 am

Yes, I made the request on April 25 & my flight was for May 12; so I was OK in this regard.
The CSR for Spirit told me I only had four (4) hours to cancel; when in Peru, I was informed it was 24 hours.
I have been emailing Spirit ever since; Spirit blames Travelocity for the error & round & round...

I believe that Spirit is now trying to make a STATEMENT with me; "How dare you question the integrity of our CSR's..." (these are my thoughts). Yes, Spirit offers NO REFUNDS, unless the DOT forces them to!!!

Spirit has REFUSED to provide me with a transcript of the CSR's conversation with me, or any other pertinent info. It appears this CSR, now doesn't even exist? Even the DOT is having problems - sorting this out!!!

"BELLIGERENT BEN" (my name for the CEO); you have "pissed off" the wrong person,

PS - PLEASE NOTE that Roger, the OP; was involved in the recent tornados in Oklahoma & has been busy helping his extended family recover from the disaster. He is a "good guy" for offering to bring stuff from the US; please keep his family in your thoughts & prayers...

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register