EXPAT HAS SPELL CHECK!

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

EXPAT HAS SPELL CHECK!

Postby Philipc4u59 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:42 am

Alan & others - THANKS!!!
I have noticed recently that when I misspell a word; it is underlined in red & I correct same.
I admit, I do have trouble with spelling in English - double letter combinations, etc. (not so much in Spanish).

I am surprised that NO ONE, has complained about this - as I have a BS in Education from a US university.
My expertise was in math & gifted children; also a minor in marketing/finance.
Now, if the PM function would work 100% of the time when making a reply - fantastic!

Philip :roll:
PS - others, what is your excuse for misspelled words???

panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: EXPAT HAS SPELL CHECK!

Postby panman » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:12 am

Philipc4u59 wrote:Alan & others - THANKS!!!
I have noticed recently that when I misspell a word; it is underlined in red & I correct same.
I admit, I do have trouble with spelling in English - double letter combinations, etc. (not so much in Spanish).

I am surprised that NO ONE, has complained about this - as I have a BS in Education from a US university.
Now, if the PM function would work 100% of the time when making a reply - fantastic!

I found this article very interesting.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/hay- ... olete.html
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:37 am

Philipc4u59 wrote:Alan & others - THANKS!!!

All you need now is something to correct your weird punctuation and you'll be all set, Philip.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:51 pm

I dance to a DIFFERENT BEAT OF THE DRUM; always have & always will.
As long as the "point" gets across...

sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:04 pm

Perhaps the next "feature" will be a post title normalizer.
argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:51 pm

I noticed it a while ago... but my spellcheck does not recognize words in English.
Sólo reconoce en castellano (test).

That is soooo weird!
Regards,

Argidd
ariel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ariel » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:56 pm

argidd wrote:I noticed it a while ago... but my spellcheck does not recognize words in English.
Sólo reconoce en castellano (test).

Not to discredit Expat but it could be your internet browser (Firefox, Chrome, IE, etc.) which has the spell check feature, and it's set to Castellano.

Anyway, I'm waiting for the time when 'troll check' becomes a reality.
metal moth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby metal moth » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:52 pm

I hate this keyboard on my Droid that keeps guessing (often incorrectly) what I'm writing.
Always have to stop and proof read.

On the positive side, it has keyboards in different languages.
ariel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ariel » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:28 pm

ariel wrote:I hate this keyboard on my Droid that keeps guessing (often incorrectly) what I'm writing.

You can disable predictive text input on Android anytime. Just go to Settings/Language and input/Keyboards and input methods/etc..

Or else suffer this (from both Android and iPhone users):

http://www.businessinsider.com/best-autocorrect-texts-2010-11?op=1
Hitoruna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Hitoruna » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:48 pm

Philipc4u59 wrote:PS - others, what is your excuse for misspelled words???

I sometimes type it from my smartphone, and with my enormous fingers sometimes get the letters wrong.
that is my excuse :wink:
metal moth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby metal moth » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:08 pm

ariel wrote:
ariel wrote:I hate this keyboard on my Droid that keeps guessing (often incorrectly) what I'm writing.

You can disable predictive text input on Android anytime. Just go to Settings/Language and input/Keyboards and input methods/etc..

Or else suffer this (from both Android and iPhone users):

http://www.businessinsider.com/best-autocorrect-texts-2010-11?op=1

Thanks for the tip. I recently bought it and haven't bothered to read the user manual.

Hilarious website, too.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:15 am

One poster would like to NORMALIZE me (apparently); others have tried w/o success!!!
There is no absolute/true "NORMAL" in any society; just "predictability" - that I feel is BORING!

PS - I am thrilled that a "normal" poster considers this site - HILLARIOUS (a NORMAL reaction)!!!!!!!
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:07 am

Philipc4u59 wrote:One poster would like to NORMALIZE me (apparently); others have tried w/o success!!!
There is no absolute/true "NORMAL" in any society; just "predictability" - that I feel is BORING!

PS - I am thrilled that a "normal" poster considers this site - HILLARIOUS (a NORMAL reaction)!!!!!!!

Perhaps you should have read it more carefully. You were not mentioned in that post. Lastly, it wouldn't take very much to have the forum normalize post titles.
Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Josh2U » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:33 am

Could you give us an example in what you consider normal and what you consider abnormal?
ariel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ariel » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:43 am

Philipc4u59 wrote:Re: EXPAT HAS SPELL CHECK!

I'm pretty sure metal moth was referring to the 'businessinsider' link I posted, and not this website. :wink:
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:20 am

Josh2U wrote:Could you give us an example in what you consider normal and what you consider abnormal?

Probably means the use of all capital letters in post titles, aka attention whoring in internet parlance.
Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Josh2U » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:37 am

CARNAC THE MAGNIFICENT LIVES!!!
metal moth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby metal moth » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:10 pm

ariel wrote:
Philipc4u59 wrote:Re: EXPAT HAS SPELL CHECK!

I'm pretty sure metal moth was referring to the 'businessinsider' link I posted, and not this website. :wink:

Yes, Ariel I was referring to the businessinsider site being hilarious.

However, having said that, I find Expat to be hilarious at times, too.
metal moth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby metal moth » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:14 pm

Personally, I like the way Philip C. writes.

It's unique and I can always tell it's him without looking closely at the poster name while scrolling thru quotes and posts.
Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Josh2U » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:29 pm

Phil strikes me as someone who says he will take care of something in a few days, he will.
Says what he means means what he says.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:57 pm

Josh2U wrote:Could you give us an example in what you consider normal and what you consider abnormal?

Here are a couple of examples of what is considered normal.

The lack of understanding when it comes to the use of CAPITAL letters both on this web site and on the internet in general is clearly explained here.
Expat Peru guidelines, the ones you agree to abide by when you join this forum, state the following.
“Please try to respect the writing conventions as much as possible (spelling, punctuation, capitalization, grammar, and paragraphing). For example, THE OVERUSE OF CAPITAL LETTERS ONLY IS CONSIDERED AS SHOUTING; Randomly Using CAPITAL letters IN a Phrase IS Annoying, Because It does NOT Stimulate the Readability Of the Content”
Source: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3371

The following etiquette is also commonly understood by most people who use the internet
“Netiquette” is slang for “Internet etiquette”. It refers to the accepted behaviors and practices regarding interactive online activity such as discussion forums, chat rooms, and e-mail. Your adherence to these guidelines will help make the online community in which you are participating easier and more enjoyable for everyone to use.
Please note that the points discussed here provide general suggestions; for more specific information, you should read the guidelines for the community in which you want to participate.
Instant Messaging Etiquette
Don’t type in all capital letters
Typing in all capital letters on the Internet is considered rude because it is difficult to read and comes across as very aggressive (LIKE SHOUTING!). If you take away nothing from this ‘how-to’ other than knowing that typing in “caps” is widely despised on the Internet, consider it time well spent.
Source: http://www.simplehelp.net/2006/08/14/ho ... etiquette/

Of course, as in all situations, there are those who do and those who don’t care to conform.
Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Josh2U » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:27 pm

Your links do not mention CAPITALS as applying to post titles.
It is common in these forums to use CAPITALS in post titles. Moderators have used CAPITALS in post titles.
Just a couple
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12609#p72766
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8198
And some can not decide which way to go. Maybe this one needs normalized.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18005
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:49 pm

metal moth wrote:I hate this keyboard on my Droid that keeps guessing (often incorrectly) what I'm writing.

I hate those spell checkers.
They are always saying that things are wrong although they aren't.
Especially when writing things in a foreign language.
ariel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ariel » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:55 pm

What exactly is the big deal? If some of you are offended by the use of upper case text by others, then the best thing thing to do is to bring it the attention of the moderators. Privately.

Complaining via posts won't do much if the other guy is hell-bent on keeping things the way he's always done which, mind you, may be perfectly fine for others (myself included).

Let the mods step in and judge for themselves what's best for the forum. Remember that we're merely guests here and we're not entitled to anything save our posts, which are at their mercy anyway.
Last edited by ariel on Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Josh2U » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:04 pm

I have heard people that offend you in one way or another, putting them on your foe list solves everything.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:27 pm

Several months ago, there was a LOT OF WASTED SPACE & TIME; involved in discussing my writing style.
I would hope that the CONTENT of my POSTS, is more important than "following some Internet rules...".
I appreciate the support I have received; all too much in the form of personal emails vs. posts.

These FANS tell me they don't want to post, as they feel they will be harassed in these threads.
This is a FRIGHTENING SCENARIO, as freedom of speech - is something expats are so expecting & value.
Why do so few - 0.01% of posters; need to make such "NOISE" that hurts EVERYONE'S EARS?

PS - Sbaustin, these personal emails tell me that you may be part of the expat "mod squad"; if correct, from what perspective (personal or moderator) - do you issue such statements as "normalizer" ? Even tho I am not mentioned by name in your comments; it has been understood to refer to me - BY OTHERS, TOO???
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:11 pm

Philipc4u59 wrote:PS - Sbaustin, these personal emails tell me that you may be part of the expat "mod squad"; if correct, from what perspective (personal or moderator) - do you issue such statements as "normalizer" ? Even tho I am not mentioned by name in your comments; it has been understood to refer to me - BY OTHERS, TOO???

Huh? You want me to address anonymous random statements made about me sent to you and other random posts that others have made that are "understood" to be about you? Quite honestly not one thing in my posts was about you so I guess I'd have to ask why do you want to make it about you? Also, if you want people to address what "OTHERS" are saying, why not be open about who the "OTHERS" are?

Lastly, it is quite COMMON when building software to NORMALIZE things to avoid confusion and create a system that is a little more harmonic with users. My comment was 100% with regards to those two points and was a personal opinion. It would be quite trivial to have the forum system force a standard which as a software developer makes complete sense and makes finding and reading information much nicer for most users. I'm sorry if for some reason you and the "OTHERS" thought it was about you.
Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Josh2U » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:27 pm

Thanks for clearing that up sbaustin. I think the confusion arose when Pollo took it upon himself to answer a question I directed at you. and since you did not correct him or refute him or take the time to answer my question, it appeared as if you agreed with his answer.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22360#p117151
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:45 pm

So what is the point of putting your post title in all capital letters other than trying to call special attention to it (aka attention whoring)? I am genuinely curious.

This entire thread is kinda pointless since Expat has no spell checker built in.. your locutorio or home pc has either updated to IE 10 or you are using chrome/firefox.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:03 pm

Josh2U wrote:Thanks for clearing that up sbaustin. I think the confusion arose when Pollo took it upon himself to answer a question I directed at you. and since you did not correct him or refute him or take the time to answer my question, it appeared as if you agreed with his answer.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22360#p117151

I didn't realize you were directing that at me. If so, my post was not about people, nor about what I consider normal/abnormal, I think I explicitly stated that another "feature" could be about normalizing post titles. If "others" want to make a simple post that didn't reference anyone about themselves I can't stop them, but I can at least address my own post and the intent of it.

In conclusion, my original post is not about what is normal or abnormal, it is about normalizing post titles.
Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Josh2U » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:07 pm

What is the point in asking if you know the answer?
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:09 pm

Josh2U wrote:What is the point in asking if you know the answer?

Ah ok.. Not directed at me.
Last edited by sbaustin on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Josh2U » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:21 pm

In answer to your (sbaustin) edited out question "Answer to what?
Sorry sbaustin, there are others in the thread. I was directing at Pollo, looks like your post snuck in before mine.
Last edited by Josh2U on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Josh2U » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:26 pm

OK, sbaustin I will ask again.
Sbaustin.....What do you consider normal? What do you, sabaustin, consider abnormal? In regards to post titles, sbaustion.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:43 pm

Josh2U wrote:OK, sbaustin I will ask again.
Sbaustin.....What do you consider normal? What do you, sabaustin, consider abnormal? In regards to post titles, sbaustion.

If you want some more information with regards to my use of the word, you can go here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Text_normalization
Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Josh2U » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:49 pm

Now the murk clears, you meant TEXT normalization not TITLE NORMALIZER.
Is that what you meant to say? Sounds like you want us to use text you find appropriate.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:06 pm

I guess I shouldn't expect you to understand.
Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Josh2U » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:57 am

No I guess not since you want to keep it a secret and refuse to answer direct questions in my attempts to try and understand what you consider a NORMAL POST TITLE.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:02 am

Josh, it is quite obviously you don't understand my post. Each time you ask me to define what is "normal" just demonstrates that point. Don't worry though, I'm creating a google chrome expat peru (not endorsed by this forum) post title normalizer that will be released today all in honor of the questions that are asked. You will of course be required to use google chrome to use it. Link coming later.
Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Josh2U » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:10 am

You deflected the question again. What is the big secret? You previously said " it wouldn't take very much to have the forum normalize post titles." That implies you find something abnormal about the the past post titles, just asking an obviously simple question.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:12 am

WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?
I don't feel comfortable when I read "you of course will be REQUIRED to use google chrome..."
When did Peru resort to be a Communist country & does sbaustin - have this type of authority???

Is he part of the expat "mod squad" & if so, are his comments personal or that of expatperu?
I feel ALL POSTERS - should be advised of a possible CONFLICT OF INTEREST.
He should be REQUIRED to be transparent in his postings herein...

Frustrated,
Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Josh2U » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:15 am

As he puts it, "I shouldn't expect you to understand"
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:21 am

Josh2U wrote:You deflected the question again. What is the big secret? You previously said " it wouldn't take very much to have the forum normalize post titles." That implies you find something abnormal about the the past post titles, just asking an obviously simple question.

Normalize doesn't mean normal or abnormal.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:26 am

Philipc4u59 wrote:WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?
I don't feel comfortable when I read "you of course will be REQUIRED to use google chrome..."
When did Peru resort to be a Communist country & does sbaustin - have this type of authority???

Is he part of the expat "mod squad" & if so, are his comments personal or that of expatperu?
I feel ALL POSTERS - should be advised of a possible CONFLICT OF INTEREST.
He should be REQUIRED to be transparent in his postings herein...

Frustrated,

My post has nothing to do with Peru, communism, nor my authority (I have none). I wrote a google chrome extension that can be used by anyone that has google chrome (all free) in my own personal time. It is not endorsed by the forum nor does it do anything besides help someone that might want to normalize post titles. You are free to use it or otherwise. Details here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22388

I'd suggest you inform yourself a little bit before writing ignorant comments.
Last edited by sbaustin on Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Josh2U » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:30 am

Ok thank you now we are getting somewhere. "Normalize doesn't mean normal or abnormal". I now understand where you are coming from. That is all you had to say.
It sounds like you are uncomfortable with the way some post have been written, and want to force some sort of generic milk toast writing style. Taking away our freedom to express ourselves in the way we write our posts.
Thanks for the warning I for one will not check out or use your crippling program.
Last edited by Josh2U on Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:33 am

Josh2U wrote:Ok thank you now we are getting somewhere. I understand where you are coming from. That is all you had to say.
It sounds like you are uncomfortable with the way some post have been written, and want to force some sort of generic milk toast writing style. Taking away our freedom to express ourselves in the way we write our posts.

I'm neither uncomfortable (never said nor implied that) nor do I want to force anything on anyone. You are free to express yourself anyway you see fit much like everyone else here. I really didn't expect to have to baby it down for you.
Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Josh2U » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:37 am

Well now you understand. I'm just a flea pickin country boy.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:38 am

I personally love going to rural areas.
Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Josh2U » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:44 am

You might want to check my neck of the woods. You can rent a raft and float down the river and do a little bow hunting and other things along the way, now that's country.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:47 am

A psychology professor of mine from my university days told the class "There is no such thing as NORMAL".
I would suggest that this same professor would say the same about 'NORMALIZER" efforts - a waste of time!!!
INDIVIDUALITY & FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION - makes the world (& expat) - INTERESTING & VALUABLE.

"It is not NORMAL to make anyone subscribe to being NORMAL..." (my quote); I have better use of my time.

Philip :( (notice the face has a frown vs. usual smile & rolling of the eyes)

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register