HARASSMENT/THREATS BY ELECTRONIC...

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

HARASSMENT/THREATS BY ELECTRONIC...

Postby Philipc4u59 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:59 pm

Good Afternoon Expats,

I am saddened to inform you that I need to research - harassment/threats by electronic communication.
As a CONSUMER ADVOCATE in the US for 12 years; I am aware that there are severe penalties for using the Internet to harass/threaten another person - both state & federal statutes.

I tried to Google this, w/o success. Has anyone ever encountered this situation or if Peru - even has penalties for such actions? Like any other way of communicating; the Internet can be abused to HURT OTHERS.

Thank you in advance for your help,
Philip :roll:
PS - if you feel more comfortable in commenting w/o posting; please use my email or PM

sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: HARASSMENT/THREATS BY ELECTRONIC...

Postby sbaustin » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:03 pm

Can you provide some examples of the harassment? What are people writing you? I'm asking to help possible identify what kind of harassment you are receiving and possible actions you might be able to take.

Also, if someone is harassing you via PM's through the forum, please let one of the mod's know.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:20 pm

The harassment is of a PERSONAL nature; thru emails & not in any way associated with expatperu.
This is a matter I am researching; to provide a solution to person that is UPSET by these actions.

Sbaustin, THANKS for offering to help; if this had been an expat issue...

PS - as you are aware, some times a "few bad apples..."; I feel comfortable sharing my comments on expat & would be shocked to realize that another expat would resort to this type of immature & ILLEGAL behavior.

THANKS AGAIN; we don't always agree herein- but will ALWAYS AGREE on no HARASSMENT ON EXPAT.
Have a GREAT DAY & continue to offer enlightening comments & information.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:31 pm

The spanish term would be "acoso electronico" but I'm not sure there are many laws here with regards to if you are being harassed. Doing some quick searches there are laws being created (or have been recently) against harassing women in the workplace "acoso sexual" but that probably doesn't apply.

If the person is known to you and in Peru, I think you should go to a notaria and write them a cease and desist type letter. The notaria will register it and that threat enough will probably stop whatever it is.

It might help though for you to generalize and let us know the type of harassment you are receiving to get more specific opinions from people. Not asking for exact details but generalities might help.

Unfortunately the family law attorney I know is getting married soon so it wouldn't be appropriate to bug her with personal questions since I know she's extremely busy.
Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Josh2U » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:40 pm

Phil Save all of the correspondence from the person. File a report with the police. The email will have an IP address that is why you should save all threats. The IP address can track down the person. A threat is a threat no matter how it is received and we need no more details than that. The police will have means to deal with it.
If you need to consult an attorney a criminal law attorney might be more on target.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:10 pm

Do they come from SPIRIT AIRLINES? :shock:

Personaly, I would block the incoming messages from that person or change my email address.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:29 pm

NO Chi Chi, they don't come from Spirit - yet.
I am causing them a lot of frustration by contacting every legal entity I can; until they issue a REFUND!
Good for a chuckle, Chi Chi - you should be a comedian and/or president of a third-world country.

As far as a person changing their email address; this would probably cause MORE ANXIETY than 4-5 emails that make unflattering remarks about the person & threaten physical harm.

I am advising that possibly the emails will CEASE & DESIST; if they don't, an attorney may be necessary.

There will always be "bad apples" in life; just enjoy the GOOD ONES!

argidd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby argidd » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:41 pm

Philip

I'm sorry about what you are going through, as mentioned previously, go to the police. They should help you with an action plan. Depending what the nature is, and what the cause is, I would also suggest getting lawyered up.
Regards,

Argidd
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:29 pm

Don't waste your money on lawyers.

Just ignore the mails. People that send that kind of emails just want some attention. If you don't give them attention then they will stop and hassle someone else.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:42 pm

Really?? go to the police?? Did all of you just step out of the Lima airport for the first time ever? Seriously, if you want to get laughed at, go to the police...

I hate to say it, and its not often I do say it, but I agree with ChiChi on this one .... ignore it ... though if you do, there may be an increase but that should be followed by a decrease (as long as the messages are not being responded to).

As many have suggested, I would keep copies of all messages just in case it seems like it is becoming something more threatening.
Last edited by MarcoPE on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
metal moth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby metal moth » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:10 pm

Emails are one thing.
Now if they know where you live, that's another matter.
Still, I wouldn't take any chances.
Do as the others have suggested and keep the emails as evidence.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:07 pm

If you use Gmail, you can look at the message 'Show original' and it will show you the email it was send from.
Check the IP. It will show many Ips , mostly of Google itself, but one of the IP is of the sender. Check them all.

If it comes from a Peruvian IP, you might be able to 'hack' them. By simply copying the IP (try several of the email ) in a browser, and if you get a login screen, you probably get the login screen of their modem. As Telefonica doesn't protect standard the modem, you could try to login with the standard user : admin, and password : admin or 1234 or admin1234
If the user didn't change their password ( which most users don't !! ) then you can login their modem, and maybe find out their ADSL username or phonenumber.
Like that we once found out a worker who harassed a female employee..
It turned out to be the wife of that employee, who for some stupid reason was jealous of the female worker.
taterbabies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby taterbabies » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:06 am

jump in your bed and throw the covers over your head!!!!!!!

lawyers and cops?! haha white people
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:33 am

MarcoPE wrote:Really?? go to the police?? Did all of you just step out of the Lima airport for the first time ever? Seriously, if you want to get laughed at, go to the police...

I hate to say it, and its not often I do say it, but I agree with ChiChi on this one .... ignore it ... though if you do, there may be an increase but that should be followed by a decrease (as long as the messages are not being responded to).

As many have suggested, I would keep copies of all messages just in case it seems like it is becoming something more threatening.

I think many of us were just assuming the situation was beyond ignoring which is great advice. What does one do when it escalates is an interesting question either here in Peru or another country. Threats to oneself and/or family can be quite disconcerting.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:07 am

I appreciate ALL THE ADVICE & concern.
This person would have quite a PROBLEM; if this was done in the US & many other countries.

About 14 years ago, I was at a computer in the library & forgot to "sign out"; some jerk accessed all my email contacts & made threatening comments (as if coming from me). My friends were so CONFUSED AS TO WHY?

I did lose some friends over the matter (probably weren't good friends - after all); the police looked at the video cameras at the library & took finder prints - this guy "pleaded out" to 6 months in jail & a fine!!!

The Internet is one of the greatest INNOVATIONS OF MANDKIND, but can be dangerous - too.
I read an article that your password should be at least 13 digits (combo of letters, numbers, signs, etc.); to be less likely to be hacked. it is a shame we have intelligent people spending time - trying to hurt others?

Be safe,
PS - in the US, when a person "pleads out"; they are given a reduced sentence for avoiding the costs/time of a jury trial. This happens in the majority of cases; as the courts are over-whelmed with criminals.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:20 am

Your passwords should absolutely be as long as you can possibly make them and should include numbers and symbols. Also, systems like gmail support 2 factor authentication which I'd highly recommend as it prevents access from external computers like in china or russian even if they do have your password.

My password is over 30 characters and if someone can hack it, I think they probably deserve the access.
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:24 am

Sbaustin is THE GUY; when it comes to computer-related issues.
Thanks for the info - from all of us "less experienced/trained" expats...

fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:38 am

I use Lastpass for storing and generating all my passwords. In that case you only need to remember 1 very difficult password, and all other password are unique and can be as complicated as they can be like
M1Gjwax^OP%%Dg&39H!gwxJj4
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:38 pm

GOOD ADVICE, from sbaustin & fanning!!!
It is much easier to prevent an Internet attack than react to one - once compromised.

Thanks guys,

PS - a lot of Americans have yahoo accounts; which doesn't offer 2 factor authentication; how difficult would it be to more all of one's contacts to gmail?
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:46 pm

Google is my first suggestion on how to enable it. Yahoo as well as many other sites support it.

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-575 ... lar-sites/
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:24 pm

GOOD INFO - FOR EVERYONE!!!

teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:10 pm

Philipc4u59 wrote:GOOD INFO - FOR EVERYONE!!!

I'LL BET YOUR PASSWORD IS IN ALL CAPS!!!!!! JUST SHOUT IT OUT TO THE WORLD.

And you know what? Surely by now you are aware how annoying it is when you do so much YELLING in your posts. You annoy people by not writing normally, people have told you that. These are the very people who still have the courtesy to offer a reply when you ask for help... yet you do not have the courtesy to acknowledge their concerns and you CONTINUE TO YELL at the very people who are trying to help you. How inconsiderate.
Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Josh2U » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:31 pm

People have also told him they like his style. I for one do not find his colorful style annoying. Where do you get this yelling business and why take such offense?
ariel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ariel » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:25 pm

Josh2U wrote:People have also told him they like his style. I for one do not find his colorful style annoying. Where do you get this yelling business and why take such offense?

"Hear, hear!"

teamoperu wrote:

And you know what? Surely by now you are aware how annoying it is when you do so much YELLING in your posts. You annoy people by not writing normally, people have told you that. These are the very people who still have the courtesy to offer a reply when you ask for help... yet you do not have the courtesy to acknowledge their concerns and you CONTINUE TO YELL at the very people who are trying to help you. How inconsiderate.

What happened? Philip didn't invite you over for lunch?
metal moth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby metal moth » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:43 am

taterbabies wrote:jump in your bed and throw the covers over your head!!!!!!!

lawyers and cops?! haha white people

So, only white people consult lawyers & call the cops?
metal moth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby metal moth » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:45 am

teamoperu wrote:

You also have the option not to read his threads or posts if you find them inconsiderate.
ariel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ariel » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:58 am

metal moth wrote:
teamoperu wrote:

You also have the option not to read his threads or posts if you find them inconsiderate.

Or use sbaustin's 'normalizer'.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:22 am

Josh2U wrote:People have also told him they like his style. I for one do not find his colorful style annoying. Where do you get this yelling business and why take such offense?

Maybe people ignorant of the norms like it, maybe even they like to smell his toe jam, but that doesn't make it right. People knowledgeable of the Internet know that caps indicate SHOUTING. Josh, do this. Read this thread out loud, a calm voice for small letters and shout very loud when you read the capital letters. That is what knowledgeable hear when we read his posts – annoying isn't it. Surely he would not talk like that, only crazy people would. And he is shouting at the very people who are trying to answer his plea for help – inconsiderate. And he knows it, just refuses to adapt. Why? To be different? To be individual? To be independent? To be pig headed? Well, if he is like that in the other facets of his life then it does not surprise me one bit that eventually someone will react with harassment. Harassment is not right, but neither is he.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:52 am

teamoperu wrote:

Maybe people ignorant of the norms like it, maybe even they like to smell his toe jam, but that doesn't make it right. People knowledgeable of the Internet know that caps indicate SHOUTING. Josh, do this. Read this thread out loud, a calm voice for small letters and shout very loud when you read the capital letters. That is what knowledgeable hear when we read his posts – annoying isn't it. Surely he would not talk like that, only crazy people would. And he is shouting at the very people who are trying to answer his plea for help – inconsiderate. And he knows it, just refuses to adapt. Why? To be different? To be individual? To be independent? To be pig headed? Well, if he is like that in the other facets of his life then it does not surprise me one bit that eventually someone will react with harassment. Harassment is not right, but neither is he.

Nobody here is actually ignorant of it. People choose to be courteous or not but regardless, it isn't a requirement to write appropriately (etiquette acceptably speaking).
Last edited by sbaustin on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:56 am

ariel wrote:
Or use sbaustin's 'normalizer'.

Amongst the other features like fixing large images, lightboxing them, showing the last post summary when hoving over a post title, I'll probably add this feature for those that might want to use it.
Josh2U
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Josh2U » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:25 am

The personality qualities Teamo describes, being different, individualistic, independent and even pigheaded are all the qualities of trail blazers and great leaders.
Look at the Founding Fathers. How different would the world be had Jefferson, Franklin, Adams, Pain not acted independently and as individuals and yes even pig headed in their quest to break the oppressive strangle hold England had on the US of A.
We would not have governments based in democracy or goods priced democratically.
Teamo don't be selfish, spread some of that amo around.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:50 pm

Hi people,

Shutting down this thread which seems to have run its course, and run off course.

Cheers,
Alan
-----
"Hay que distanciarnos hoy para luego abrazarnos más fuerte".
-Guiseppe Conte, primer ministro italiano.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register