Carnet de Extranjeria strategy

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Carnet de Extranjeria strategy

Postby ironchefchris » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:37 am

After recently getting married I'm looking to change my tourist visa for a Carnet de Extranjeria and have a few questions. I went to the Immigration office here in Arequipa and was told it would take about a month to process before having to go to Lima for the INTERPOL portion of the process. My wife and I are planning on moving North to the Máncora area. First she needs to wrap up some affairs, some of which include dealing with beaurocracy so it could take a few weeks, a month, or maybe longer. I understand the INTERPOL/FBI process can take a few weeks. I'd rather not wait in Lima. Guessing after everything checks out with INTERPOL/FBI I have to return to Lima for fingerprints, etc.., or will they take my fingerprints first and then just mail me my CE? Can I start the process here in Arequipa and finish it by having sent to me up North? Should I go through the whole process here in Arequipa and then move North (to keep things simple as far as my address goes) or wait till I get up North and start everything with the Immigration office in Piura? My fear is starting things in one area and moving to another. Beaurocracy doesn't always deal well with change of address in the middle of a process.

Udo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Carnet de Extranjeria strategy

Postby Udo » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:15 pm

I'm experiencing the same problems out in the Provinces of Trujillo. A friend at Immigration says that they are looking to modernize the process some day by transmitting digital fingerprints over the Internet, etc. Basically, I am going to border-hop until the process of getting a CE / resident visa gets easier, because I am not going to jump through any more hoops of fire. Please let us know what you find out.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:44 pm

I'd do the perpetual border hop thing myself, but am looking for a more permanent legal status. I'll update this post as I go through the process or PM you.
DC_20833

Postby DC_20833 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:03 pm

I stayed in Peru for almost 2 years on a Tourist Visa and did the "Border Hop" when I decided to go legal. I did the math and for me it was cheaper to pay the fine than fly down to the Border do the taxi into Chile and back plus stay overnight in Tacna. I paid over $700 in fines which the Head Guy said was the largest he had ever collected.

Getting a Carnesta was rather easy. I opened an account at Interbank and deposited $1,000 USD or less and got a letter from them. I can't remember exactly how much I deposited, showed that I had monthly income in excess of $1,000.00, and completed some form. Everything had to be translated into Spanish by an official translator then I submitted the paperwork and waited about 2 weeks and was informed I was approved. Went to the second floor had my pictures, finger prints, and signature taken and got my Carnesta about 30 minutes later.

Not bad considering some lawyer who frequents this board who claims to be the only "honest" lawyer in Peru wanted to charge me $500.00. I think I paid s/. 90 for the translations. The thing that can bother a lot of us is the time you have to wait from when you submit your paperwork to know if you are approved because you have to return to their offices to find out. I just simply doubled the time.
edgeclinger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby edgeclinger » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:53 am

Jim: How long ago was that? And what type of residency status did you get?
Loving Living in Lima
DC_20833

Postby DC_20833 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:06 am

I have RENTISTA status and this was about 2.5 years ago.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register