WHERE TO FIND KILZ

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Roger in the US
Gold Member
Gold Member

WHERE TO FIND KILZ

Postby Roger in the US » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:47 am

I am looking for a primer-sealer named "Kilz". It is packaged as a can which can be applied by a brush or also in a spray can. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

Roger

gringito
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: WHERE TO FIND KILZ

Postby gringito » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:56 pm

Roger, up to now, I have never seen Kilz-products here in Peru.
Which primer/sellador exactly do you need for which work?

Try to use products that are locally available here in Peru, for example from SIKA, CPP, etc.
(Have a look at Sodimac, Maestro etc. or any bigger Ferreteria to get a first overview)
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:50 am

Roger,

As a former landlord, I will NEVER use anything but KILZ for problems; but unfortunately - you are in Peru.
I have begun to discover that "smart" Peruvian companies will offer products similar to those in the US; may cost somewhat more - but worth the quality of a product that "does what it is supposed to do".

We were thrilled to have you & your lovely wife for dinner recently; don't do so much rehabbing of your place that you don't enjoy your vacation here in sunny (???) Lima. You watched me prepare my "world famous ARROZ ESPECIAL"; remember you signed a "NON-DISCLOSURE" contract!!!

You are always welcome here; no matter what Chi Chi offers you for the recipe - RESIST TEMPTATION!

Philip & Rosmery :roll:
gringito
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringito » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:45 pm

Philipc4u59 wrote:You watched me prepare my "world famous ARROZ ESPECIAL"; remember you signed a "NON-DISCLOSURE" contract!!!

Ah su madre! Phil-cito! Don´t tell me you mixed KILZ into the Arroz Aerospacial?!
Buah! :shock:
Roger in the US
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Roger in the US » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:50 am

I am doing some painting of an area where the original paint "lifted and bubbled" from the concrete. I am guessing that the concrete was not mixed well when originally was poured. I removed the old paint and scraped and sanded and repainted but the same thing happened again.
Roger in the US
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Roger in the US » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:53 am

Philipc4u59 wrote:Roger,

As a former landlord, I will NEVER use anything but KILZ for problems; but unfortunately - you are in Peru.
I have begun to discover that "smart" Peruvian companies will offer products similar to those in the US; may cost somewhat more - but worth the quality of a product that "does what it is supposed to do".

We were thrilled to have you & your lovely wife for dinner recently; don't do so much rehabbing of your place that you don't enjoy your vacation here in sunny (???) Lima. You watched me prepare my "world famous ARROZ ESPECIAL"; remember you signed a "NON-DISCLOSURE" contract!!!

You are always welcome here; no matter what Chi Chi offers you for the recipe - RESIST TEMPTATION!

Philip & Rosmery :roll:

Now wait a minute. I do not remember signing anything.. Was that after the "rum and coke"?
Philipc4u59
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Philipc4u59 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:28 am

YES!!!

Philip :roll:
gringito
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringito » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:44 pm

Roger in the US wrote:I am doing some painting of an area where the original paint "lifted and bubbled" from the concrete. I am guessing that the concrete was not mixed well when originally was poured. I removed the old paint and scraped and sanded and repainted but the same thing happened again.

@Roger:
If this happened here in Peru, especially in the first floor, your problem most probably is "Salitre".

Behind the lifted and bubbled painting you should find a white powdery bloom defect.
If this is the case, sanding and repainting will not help.

Usually, in such case, one has to remove the entire plaster/render (called "tarajeo") arround the affected area and apply a new plaster with a very rich plaster mixture (cemento + fine sand 1: 4 mixed with impermeabilizante such as SIKA or CHEMA!).

If the wall is humid, even this will not completely solve the problem. However, it may work for the next 2 or 3 years.

This is due to the fact the sand here in Peru usually contains salpeter (salitre) and the majority of the Peruvian houses are built directly on top of the soil without any capillary breaking layer.

Suerte!
victmanu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby victmanu » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:18 am

Philipc4u59 wrote:Roger,

Yes, unfortunately You are in Peru.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register